1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Creative (read fun) posing for family portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Matt S, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Friday I have a gig to shoot a family of 6 (all adults). They are looking for fun, family shots. I will shoot some traditional style shots as well for insurance. I am looking for some inspiration in posing for out of the ordinary. I have a couple of ideas in mind already and will post them if they work out. But do you have any ideas to share. I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

I have already coordinated clothing with the family. Going for a jeans with solid colored shirts. No blacks, no whites. I will have two off camera flashes with umbrellas. I only mention the lighting in case specific lighting is needed for a pose you might have in mind.

2. Matt, I was perusing the mpix forums last night and came across a whole series on posing....I thought this lady (wendiandtravis) had some really neat poses for families that I hadn't seen before:

http://community.mpix.com/forums/t/39484.aspx?PageIndex=5

The second and third poses that she posted would be awesome with an interesting background and confident subjects! Her examples have a mix of adults and kids, but I think they would also work well with adults only.

3. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    We once had a family portrait done where we were on the couch, and all had something we enjoy...Dad had a bike jersey with his helmet, brother had guitar, etc.

4. Thanks for the link and the tips. Anyone else. I would like to show up with an arsenal of ideas.

5. Do they have an activity that they enjoy doing together (i.e. boating, hiking) ? You could try to figure that out and then set up the shot to include their preferred activity. :smile:

6. Gretchen thanks, I had thought of that. They are really into "lawn games" i.e. croquette, botchie (sp?), horseshoes. I am not sure how I would pose them to including these activities but the thought definitely crossed my mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.