Creative (read fun) posing for family portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Matt S, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Friday I have a gig to shoot a family of 6 (all adults). They are looking for fun, family shots. I will shoot some traditional style shots as well for insurance. I am looking for some inspiration in posing for out of the ordinary. I have a couple of ideas in mind already and will post them if they work out. But do you have any ideas to share. I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

I have already coordinated clothing with the family. Going for a jeans with solid colored shirts. No blacks, no whites. I will have two off camera flashes with umbrellas. I only mention the lighting in case specific lighting is needed for a pose you might have in mind.

2. Matt, I was perusing the mpix forums last night and came across a whole series on posing....I thought this lady (wendiandtravis) had some really neat poses for families that I hadn't seen before:

http://community.mpix.com/forums/t/39484.aspx?PageIndex=5

The second and third poses that she posted would be awesome with an interesting background and confident subjects! Her examples have a mix of adults and kids, but I think they would also work well with adults only.

3. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    We once had a family portrait done where we were on the couch, and all had something we enjoy...Dad had a bike jersey with his helmet, brother had guitar, etc.

4. Thanks for the link and the tips. Anyone else. I would like to show up with an arsenal of ideas.

5. Do they have an activity that they enjoy doing together (i.e. boating, hiking) ? You could try to figure that out and then set up the shot to include their preferred activity. :smile:

6. Gretchen thanks, I had thought of that. They are really into "lawn games" i.e. croquette, botchie (sp?), horseshoes. I am not sure how I would pose them to including these activities but the thought definitely crossed my mind.