Creature ID Please?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Apr 17, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The picture is horrid, but I spotted this thing running across the marsh as the sun came up and I had no opportunity for anything other than to point the camera and shoot.

I "think" it may be an albino raccoon? I also think it was rabid as it was running at me full tilt and snarling. I had to jump in the car and leave the camera on the hood of the car as he was running circles around the car!

Would have loved to have seen him from a distance and been able to have used the tripod...

original.

2. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    I think you're right, Jim. I did some quick and dirty lookups and he looks eerily similar to the one here
    Albino Racoon

I can't quite tell from your pic about the eye color but I do know they're not nearly as dark as a standard coon. I'm amazed that you got such a clear shot. I'd have likely dropped the camera :D

3. Great grab under harrowing conditions! This is the first I've heard of a racoon attack.

Better to have seen him from a distance and been able to use a rifle 8).

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Uncle Frank

I've never even seen a racoon run this fast!

He was coming straight at me and went through two little salt pods..at that point I could here him snarling and figured I'd leave the camera on the hood and get my butt in the vehicle.

I showed the images on camera to the folks at the refuge and they were amzed..they've never even heard of an albino racoon.

5. I've never heard of a raccoon attacking a human...or even wanting to for that matter. Something must have been terrible wrong, as you suggest. Interesting capture.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Great capture of an unusual beast! Here in the city we get racoons having a go at people, dogs four times their size, they're mean, vicious and fear nothing! If this one was like this in the wild, you were correct in assuming something seriously wrong with it. A buddy of mine always says "if ever you find me dead, check the last picture!" *LOL*

7. This is not unlike President Carter when he was "attacked" by a rabbit. Excellent capture and I would have hidden in the car as well.