Creature ID Please?

The picture is horrid, but I spotted this thing running across the marsh as the sun came up and I had no opportunity for anything other than to point the camera and shoot.

I "think" it may be an albino raccoon? I also think it was rabid as it was running at me full tilt and snarling. I had to jump in the car and leave the camera on the hood of the car as he was running circles around the car!

Would have loved to have seen him from a distance and been able to have used the tripod...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think you're right, Jim. I did some quick and dirty lookups and he looks eerily similar to the one here
Albino Racoon

I can't quite tell from your pic about the eye color but I do know they're not nearly as dark as a standard coon. I'm amazed that you got such a clear shot. I'd have likely dropped the camera :D

Great grab under harrowing conditions! This is the first I've heard of a racoon attack.

Would have loved to have seen him from a distance and been able to have used the tripod...
Better to have seen him from a distance and been able to use a rifle 8).

Uncle Frank

I've never even seen a racoon run this fast!

He was coming straight at me and went through two little salt pods..at that point I could here him snarling and figured I'd leave the camera on the hood and get my butt in the vehicle.

I showed the images on camera to the folks at the refuge and they were amzed..they've never even heard of an albino racoon.

I've never heard of a raccoon attacking a human...or even wanting to for that matter. Something must have been terrible wrong, as you suggest. Interesting capture.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Great capture of an unusual beast! Here in the city we get racoons having a go at people, dogs four times their size, they're mean, vicious and fear nothing! If this one was like this in the wild, you were correct in assuming something seriously wrong with it. A buddy of mine always says "if ever you find me dead, check the last picture!" *LOL*

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom