1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Crested Butte Scenery

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Lumagent Morple, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Lumagent Morple

Lumagent Morple

Feb 14, 2009
    Alabama
    I recently went on a mountain biking trip to Colorado and Utah and was blown away by the scenery in Crested Butte.

This first picture was from the night we arrived in Crested Butte. It was a very clear night, and we were far enough from civilization that we could see an abundance of stars surrounding our very own Milky Way.

3760715342_af67382dd5_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After camping the first night at 10,000 feet above sea level, we awoke to a beautiful meadow of daisies and other wildflowers right outside of our tent.

3759922113_410cb6ebb0_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. That first shot is way cool. I love it. It makes me want to go out and shoot the Milky Way myself. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
    David

3. Two great shots!!

4. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Wow. Both shots are AMAZING, but I especially like the first. WOW!!!

5. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    really love the first picture.

6. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Wow, that first shot if amazing.

7. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    The first shot is truly amazing and shows what we, who live in densely populated areas are missing.

The second is way too contrasty (on my screen) for my eyes and possibly has blown reds?

8. Lumagent Morple

Lumagent Morple

Feb 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for the comments guys. I boosted the levels on the first shot a little bit to make the Milky Way pop, and I actually toned the contrast down a bit on the second shot.

9. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    Amazing shots...that first one is...wow. I remember visiting some relatives in Nebraska somewhere...North Platte I think...was just amazed at the number of stars. They just don't look like that here on the east coast;) 

Dasies are cool too. What's in the background? It's clear enough to make me wonder what it is. Brilliant colors, musta been a beautiful morning.

...heading out to pack the camping gear;) 

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Stellar Shots!!

11. Fabulous shots! That first one is stunning. I need to get back up north to the lake so I can see the stars again. No stars in the city. :Frown:

12. WOW!! Love the night sky there!!!

13. Lumagent Morple

Lumagent Morple

Feb 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks again for the positive feedback. Jerryshenk, the background of the second image features a couple of peaks situated around Lake Irwin just outside of Crested Butte.

14. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    I was in CB four times last year at different times and as you know, the photo ops are everywhere. However, the Milky Way shot I never saw -- guess I went to bed too early! Beautiful!

15. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    i live in Crested Butte :rolleyes: ....I dont even noticed the stars anymore:eek: :biggrin:

16. That milky way is just amazing.:eek:  Do you mind sharing your camera settings. I would love to give that a try here up in the mtns on my next camping trip.
    Thank you so much for sharing
    Barb

17. Lumagent Morple

Lumagent Morple

Feb 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The first shot was taken at ISO 6400 and f/2.8 for only 30 seconds to avoid star trails and to keep the Milky Way blur-free. Basically you want to let as much light in as possible for a minimum amount of time. The longer the exposure is, the longer the star trails are. Thanks for your interest maraya, and good luck!

18. The picture of the stars is incredible.

19. MMPG1

MMPG1

May 10, 2009
    Germany
    Both photos are great!
    I also like the second one very much. Did you take it with the Zeiss ZF?

20. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Spectacular Milky Way ! Congrats !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.