Crew Regatta End of the Year

They are definitely not as tack sharp as I would have liked. Here are the settings I used. Nikon 70-300mm lens, ISO 200, Shutter 1/800, Aperture - varied, I meant to put the camera in Aperture priority but I forgot. :( Autofocus: Dynamic area, 21 point, Continuous-servo AF (AF-C). I had the VR on because I was only taking one frame at a time. The camera was hand held. Most of the time I was on the banks of the lake but I did get to go in the launch for a few. Any suggestions?

5746966575_c7a5a1a35b_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5746948825_e47287f018_b.jpg

5747503234_2651e41dd6_b.jpg

5752187760_31fb65b2cb_b.jpg

Here is my not to AlJohnston. I'm not quite there yet though!
5747504022_6eba9243d6_b.jpg

Here are a few of the other images.

Looks good to me - you're getting to eye-level with the rowers :smile:

It's probably best to turn off VR at 1/800 - you'd need seriously wobbly hands to get shake at that speed :biggrin:

Thanks Al - there is so much stuff to remember! I find half of the time I forget to change some setting or another. There is much to learn.

yup, agree w/ Al, and don't worry, it'll come to you...and there are plenty of us that forget a setting or two. It does help to run through your settings before each shoot, I'll sometimes do it during a break in case I've accidentally switched something.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
These are fine, especially with the 70-300, as you won't likely get the same tack sharp images with it as you would with a prime.

It's an excellent idea to go through your settings before you shoot each time. Anything can happen, from accidentally throwing a switch on a lens while toting it around, to someone else playing with your equipment between shoots. Almost every time I take short cuts and don't check settings, I'm sorry for it later! Make a checklist if you want to. Lots of people do.

You did well with handheld on these, but you'd be surprised how much a tripod or monopod will help you, even compared to using VR. I get consistently better shots at the long end of my 300mm len's reach when using one or the other.

Lastly, with a sport like crew, you can concentrate on the great facial expressions of the kids rowing. Look for those intense faces and catch them at the peak of their strokes.

Keep shooting and have fun!

I do have a tripod and a monopod, so far I've never brought them to a crew regatta. I do want to get better shots so I will have to get used to carrying around the gear I need. I should go to more of the practices and practice my stuff also.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom