1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Criterium

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by CliffB, Aug 8, 2009.

1. I went to the Charlotte Criterium today. I had never gone to a bicycle race before. So, I was not sure what I was doing, and tried a few things. For this shot, I decided to see what I could get with a relatively slow shutter speed and flash.

D300, 1/60 sec. @ f/10, Sigma 17-70 @ 50mm, ISO 800, SB800 ev -0.3

115869250.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  2. Thats a very nice picture Cliff! it seems like the kind of thing youd see in an add online or on tv haha. Crits are great to shoot, well actually i love shooting all cycling in general. I think i love mtn biking the best, but for road definately the crits.

3. Thank you, Charlie. Yes, the Crit was fun. I do not usual shoot subjects that require panning, so trying to catch subjects that are passing within several feet of you, at 40 mph, was quite a challenge.

4. i like that shot alot Cliff

5. Thank you, Randy.

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Like the motion blur! nicely done Cliff!

7. Great picture Cliff.

8. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I like the shot too.

9. Thank you, Steve, Dave and Jon.

10. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Cliff,

I really like this image. I've shot a lot of bike races, but this composition gives me a bunch of new ideas. I like how the blur suggests the feeling you have in the midst of a high speed crit where everything seems to rush by in a blur. Yet, the rider on the right is "highlighted" and crisp conveying his extreme focused effort, especially showing in his eyes. Very nice.

How's that for an artsy-fartsy review :wink:

Dave

11. Dave: I feel properly impressed with your artsy-fartsyness.

12. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Cliff, that's a very cool shot, but is it really a 60 second exposure?

13. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Nice shot, the effect is good, rear curtain sync ?

My onky knit would be that I think the in focus rider is too close to the right edge of the frame

14. OOPS! That is 1/60 second.

Yes, that is rear curtain sync.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.