Critical feedback for wedding (Linked gallery)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by lexiticus, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I shot a wedding last saturday (First one as me being the primary photographer)
    I've shot many others as backups or just as a friend (friends who take too many pictures :).

I am waiting for my assistant to give me his shots, so I was pretty lenient in what I edited myself, as I'm not sure what shots he has will be better or unique from mine. So this isn't a final gallery. However it is going to be quite close to the final product I present to the bride and groom (I don't do pay per print, Instead I simply charge a flat fee for digital copies at full res)

Everyone that I demo the gallery to loves the shots, HOWEVER, people are often very positive when it comes to wedding pictures, and don't voice their opinions.
    Heres the gallery link (Private so can't link shots directly), sorry there are a lot of shots, They expressed a lot of interest in B+W shots, so the converted B+W's are at the end.

Gallery

Technical info;
    Shot with a D300, D200, 80-200 af-s, 50mm f1.4, 30mm f1.4, 24mm f1.8
    Sb-800, and at the reception sometimes 2 SB-600's as slaves.
    Edited Adobe RGB, not converted to sRGB, so these will look a bit flatter than the prints / what I see when editing.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  2. I think these look fine minus the lack of conversion. The B&G should be pleased once the edits are complete. As a client, I know what my dress/flowers/colors should look like, and if these are "off" I'm not going to be happy. Create a photoshop action and let it do the conversion for you... Personally, I'd like to see full edits.

As a fellow smugmug user, I'd arrange the gallery by the date photos were taken - that way the BW conversions at the end will be in order the way they were shot. How were the conversions done? The light areas look washed out and dull - could be from being in RGB, but I'm not sure as I don't shoot in RGB.

I'd also do something with the background of the page. Black just looks too plain. There are several alternative layouts that look much more festive...

3. Ahh, truthfully I wasn't even thinking about how Smugmug looked. As this isn't going to be given to the bride and groom (well not yet anyway). I'll check out some of the other theme's

I really tried to get the most range possible out of the skin tones in the conversions to B+W, so I suspect that the dull areas may be a byproduct of me not converting (Though because of the limited range I assumed sRGB and adobe RGB would be quite similar in B+W, maybe I was wrong..)

Maybe I'll give the B&G two discs, one for online use and one for printing. They are moving quite soon, and I may not be the go to guy, for getting their prints done. (I will have to discuss that with them)

Thanks though! Its great to get the feedback!

EDIT:
    Keith, your website doesn't redirect properly for me, I ran into the same trouble with smugmug when I was doing the CNAME redirection. I had to type in minus the www to get it to work

4. Ah, I see. Instead of two cd's, one DVD can serve your purpose. I'm not sure why the bw's look a bit on the pale side. Be sure to price your cd/dvd properly!! Remember, once you give that disc up, you can pretty much forget about additional print sales...

I'm not sure what the problem is with my link, but it should work without the www.

5. Ahh your link works from here, Maybe my schools computers were the problem.

I don't deal with prints personally (on a per print fee basis), I usually just give them a DVD with all the full res images on it, and then let them know that I can do the ordering for good quality prints and won't inflate the price on them. (Then just charge on a per hour basis).

Depending on the wedding party this may be less lucrative for myself, However I find people prefer the digital copies nowadays. So I set my prices accordingly.

6. Ah, I see. Instead of two cd's, one DVD can serve your purpose. I'm not sure why the bw's look a bit on the pale side. Be sure to price your cd/dvd properly!! Remember, once you give that disc up, you can pretty much forget about additional print sales...

I'm not sure what the problem was with my link, but it should now with and without the www.