Critique Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gmaker1, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Since I see that there is some discussion about the forum, I would like to re-open a topic that was discused some time back: A real critique forum. Lately, I have been looking at my images and have decided that I want to take my photography to the next level: To do that I need sound and constructive critques of my work. I appreaciate the comments that I have received in the past, but, they no longer help. I do not feel that everyone in the cafe will want this type of feed back, nor do I think that everyone will want to read every thread. I for one do not like to give too much of a critigue because even when we ask, most people are too nice to say. If there was a seperate place for this, then people that post there are going to realize that they are getting more then just a nice comment. The fourm was created as a way to improve our work. The members here have proved that they are kind and helpful. I really believe that we can go to the next level without fear of being blasted or laughed at. If the reason is that there is no one to monitor this area, I would be gald to; making sure that comments do not get out of hand.

So, I would like to see a critical critique section.

Thanks,
    Gil

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think the critique can just go with with retouching.

3. A "Critique Forum"...

... sounds like a good idea!

The only way that my photographic skills can improve is to find out what I've done wrong and, if possible, what I could do to fix it.

"Nice pic" doesn't do any good except to the ego and the ego is not what composes the photo and squeezes the trigger.

If you post in the Critique Forum you know what to expect, a critique.

Sounds logical to me. After all, better to be disliked for what you are than loved for what you're not, eh? :smile:

Dennis

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I agree. Great idea.

5. Why not set a standard abrieviation for critique in the title of a post if you are looking for a hard hitting honest reponce. Example: "my photo" (crt) or something similar. If we see that in the title we know you want a serious look at what you have presented and it helps keep the forum simple and streamlined.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You know why your idea won't work Matt? Because people forget, and they'll forget to put the abbreviation there, sure as I'm sitting here.
    In a previous thread I suggested this:
    "Personally, I like the idea of having a "Critic's Corner" forum, a place where you could put the "Why does this pic stink" shots, or something like that, and let everyone throw their 2 cents in, stating why it stinks and how it could be improved. Hmmm, but that would be actually adding an additional forum, wouldn't it?"

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Great idea!

8. Steve:

Lets be positive.....I would just want peoples help. Hopefully, not all images used will be bad.

Gil

9. I am interested in this as well. I do mostly scenics and wildlife with natural light. I work hard on my compsition to have a desired impact. Having some honest feedback on how well I achieve thes objectives would be most useful to me. Many of you do way more sophisticated work including flash, IR, UV and portrait work. I would not likely give you much feedback on those in a critique forum because those are areas that I have no experience in and anything I may say would be totally subjective. Does this have any bearing on the success of the proposed forum?
    Dave

10. Sorry Gil, I'm gonna disagree with you here on this one. I, for one, think we have too many forums as it is now. I liked it in the old days, I got to flip through most of them quickly. Now I seem to be missing too many posts, and too many great pics. There are quite a few forums here with very few posts or else the posts are few and very far between. This tells all. All the different camera forums seems to be a waste as a lot of new D2* owners used to own D70's and D100's and even Coolpixes, so I think they can all be lumped together easily. I can understand separate forums for different types of pics, ie landscape vs animals, birds, etc, but it seems too much already, and I'm not the first to voice this.

I think that if you want a critique, then just ask for it in the title: "serious critique required". If you word your request properly, most people will be more than happy to accomodate. Wording it as "serious critique required" is different than "what do you think of this". If someone uses the word 'critique', then they're in for it!! *LOL* Sorry, no vote here for a separate critique forum.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I agree with Dave Watts. I would very much like to have honest critiques of my photos that would help make me a better photographer. In the same vein, I would like to add suggestions to someone else's photo without out being taken as being unkind and critical of someone elses work.

Mike

12. Unlike Gale I don't think the critique forum can "just go with retouching."

In my mind a critique forum should be a place for no holds barred critique. If you don't want that kind of critique and would rather just recieve comments like:

"Great shot!"
    "Wow. That's beautiful."
    "Excellent! What lens did you use"

Then don't post in the critique forum.

The only problem with this place that I've had is the way too nice, sugary repiles to pictures that, pardon my frankness, are anything but. Simple snapshot types of images that garner the replies like above has, again, only in my opinion, made this place a little dull.

I heartily endorse the OP's suggestion of a critique forum and think it should be a forum that embraces the truth rather than just blind compliments.

13. I agree about sugary replies to posts, however those folks that have asked for critique have recieved very thoughtful and sometimes brutally honest input from members. I have seen this in several threads latley. I am just not sure we need another forum. I encourage anyone who wants a serious critique of their photos to test this out. Just ask and I think you will recieve. Of course I will go with the flow, if everyone wants a critique forum I will respect that.

Here is an example of one posted today where the poster is getting good feedback.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55951

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I expect that if I asked for a serious critique on an image I would get just that from the members of this forum. With that said, the one thing I don't want to see happen is a change in character of this forum. The Cafe is a nice place, has always been a nice place, and I for one hope it stays a nice place. If people start lashing out at someone because they did not like thier image, which could easily happen, then I might as well go back to posting on the DPR.

Just my opinion. :smile:

15. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have to second this. We have to many already! I think we are past due for another consolidation.

16. I think a no-holds-barred critique forum of some sort would be interesting, but I don't agree about "sugary" replies.

Quality is always in the eye of the beholder. Or is it? When I see a photograph someone took of something they care about or someone they love, I try to imagine their point of view. Because while they may be shooting for a "portrait" or their loved one, they are in fact expressing to the rest of us that this person matters.

Besides all that, I think being nice is a good thing. :biggrin:

Not to mention how subjective any expressive art form is in any case. My favorite photo of all of those I have taken over the years is one that I am quite sure only I have any appreciation for. And I am okay with this. Can't please everyone, but you can please yourself.

17. Hey Beezle. I'm wasn't talking about (and certainly wasn't knocking) images that have sentimental value or anything. Replying to an image with something like, "That kid has a great smile!" or "What an incredible view" is a lot different than saying it's a compelling image. From a photographic or technical viewpoint.

Someone may post an image that has really bad composition of an otherwise very cute kid. Or perhaps the image is grossly over/underexposed. Or perhaps the image just simply isn't compelling. People will comment with things like, "Fantastic image!", or "That's a really great shot" when it quite clearly isn't. Comment on the kid being cute, fine, commenting on the image being a superb specimen of photography, dull, in my opinion.

So - it's my opinion that a no hold barred critique forum where it's okay to say a picture sucks (with appropriate commenting to justify why you think it sucks of course) would be a good place.

I don't feel like I can speak my mind when I see images I think are crap. I want to but I'd be breaking some unspoken rule that every reply has to be "nice". If that's the way this forum is supposed to be (it's pretty heavily moderated) then fine. There are other forums. But I enjoy the time I spend here, for the most part, except for a couple of things.

18. Justin, I've commented on pics when I see the word "critique" telling them softly but firmly why I don't think the picture worked. If it has their child in it, I'll end it with "cute kid" just so they don't think I'm slamming the whole concept, just the composition or the lighting. Sometimes if my opinion is way off from all the others, I've sent a private message and all my PM's regarding critiquing have been received favourably. Some don't realize that I was the Horizon Police on the NTF over at DPR so you'll always get a critique from me if your horizon is off-level! *LOL* I even critiqued a photo on the website of one of my favourite collegues here about his levels being way off and this pic being better with a little post-processing as it brought out the beauty of the subject. The reply was that they'd posted the pic on their site in haste, being a little remiss in the PP, but when it came to actually printing out the pic, they'd PP'd it properly. Just friends being friends with one another - trying to help each other improve. If they'd posted the pic on this forum, I would have used the exact same language. I actually had the opposite happen a while back: a client chose one of my pics to purchase and I could not, for the life of me, understand why because to me it looked like a snap pic with bad composition, bad lighting, but all responses were to the contrary, so we just never know.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is - let's review how we ask for a critique, and review how we're answering them, instead of just creating another new forum.

I think a lot of this also had to do with personalities and language/communication. What we need to get out there is the fact that if someone uses a particular word, like 'critique', then it's open season to tell them exactly how you feel about their pic in a photographic sense. Either 'dull subject, just doesn't grab me' (I've used that one, with favourable response), lighting is off, cropping off, etc. To my friends, on various subjects, I've said "Blunt honesty required here" and I receive it!! *LOL*