Critique/help with photo

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by JMartin, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Using Mitchell's 300 F4 this weekend was a new enough experience, add the 1.4 TC and things really got interesting.

Can you guys take a look at this full size image and tell me where I screwed up? I am guessing this is mainly camera shake due to the increased lens length and the smallest movement on my part being noticable. Is that all there is wrong or could it be a combination of camera shake and incorrect settings. I just checked and this shot was 420mm, 1/100th @ f/6.7 :mad:

I think I just answered my own question, but still would like love to hear your feedback.

bad, bad photographer

Thanks alot!

2. 1/100 is way too slow. Up the iso until you can get 1/500 at the very least, faster is even better

3. cupowater

cupowater Guest

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that the general rule was shutter speed should be no less than the mm that you are shooting at..

so 500mm shouldn't be less than 1/500th

"I am guessing this is mainly camera shake due to the increased lens length and the smallest movement on my part being noticable."

^^ i think you've got it right there

4. Yes as Eric pointed out 1/100 is way to slow, I try to keep my shutter for sports as close to 1/1000 as I can
    I also always use some type of support such as a monopod

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks you for looking guys.

Now that I am going thru these and looking closer, I have no clue what I was doing and why I had my shutter speed down so low.

All I can think is between adding the TC, taking it off, moving from the fence behind the catcher in bright sunlight and to the outfield spot in where I was in complete shade, I missed changing settings somehow. Too much trying to shoot, not enough QC on the settings.

6. Joe, did you shoot with a monopod? My keeper rate went up dramatically with that lens the day I started using a monopod. After that, I never shot without it.

Eric is right on the money with the shutterspeed. I do everything I can to stay above 1/500 or better.

7. It's easy to overlook shutter speed when the action starts, but there's a way to make sure it doesn't happen again. When you're shooting sports, put your camera in shutter priority mode, and set the shutter speed to support the lens you're using. For example, if you're using a 300mm lens, it will have a field of view of 450mm due too the crop factor, so set your shutter speed at 1/450 or faster. If you have the 1.4 TC on along with the 300mm lens, your focal length will be 420mm, which means a field of view of 630mm, so make sure your shutter speed is faster than 1/630. The camera will take care of setting an appropriate aperture value, and you can concentrate on catching the action.

8. cupowater

cupowater Guest

what monopod are you guys using and what are you thoughts on it? ( I don't mean to hijack ur thread...)

9. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Yes, I was using a monopod, but I don't use it a lot with the 70-200, so was kind of practicing that as well as trying the 300 for the first time. :biggrin: Not a real good combination, but need to start learning somehow.

Jake, I have the Manfrotto 679B monopod with 3232 Swivel/Tilt head. I had originally planned on getting a Wimberley Sidekick and going with the setup Frank (flew) has, but have never gotten around to the Sidekick.

10. marksayer

marksayer Guest

I have heard this elsewehere too, but dont really understand why - could someone please explain in easy terms, or point me to a site that explains...

cheers

Mark

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The longer the lens, the more "leverage" it has. A small movement by the camera with a telephoto creates HUGE movements in the view finder and if a shot is taken, it has the potential to be blurry or soft. The same movement of the camera with say a 50mm lens creates very small movement in the viewfinder.

The theory is that you need a SS equal to or greater than the MM of lens to combat that. So a 500mm lens would be best if operated a 1/500 or higher.

Having said all of that, the primary concern in using a telephoto is reducing camera shake and movement to only that which is intended for the image. It is why most of us a monopod on anything over 300mm. It steadies the lens and keeps the image nice and sharp.

Make sense?

12. marksayer

marksayer Guest

Cool, thay makes perfect sense and certainly explains the outcome of some of my rally photos..

Thanks for posting the explanation, everyday truly is a school day!

Mark