Critique my first try at new techniques

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, May 5, 2005.

1. Nancy's headed to our future daughter-in-law's bridal shower, so she had her hair and makeup done, and I couldn't resist
    taking her portrait. I tried a couple of new tricks. I used fill flash off-camera, with my new sc29 sync cord, and I shot
    in RAW. I edited with the RAW Essentials software package, converted to TIFF, and finished it off in Photoshop.

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Frank,

I really like the formal pose in #1, the fact that you have natural highlights in her hair without a sense of direct sunlight. Your use the the off camera flash worked very well, giving her face a lovely light. #2 is a great expression, warm and a more relaxed smile. What did you do in photoshop? #2 almost looks like you ran some type of painting effect.

I could easily envision #1 in particular in a nice frame at 11x14 on the wall. Beautiful work. You really brought out your wife's beauty and warmth.

Tom

3. Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I think I was a little heavy handed in editing the RAW negatives. Does this one look more natural?

4. Great job, I much prefer #2 - seems to have more personality in it. In #1 I'm not all that crazy about so much light on her left and the shadow on the right of her face, maybe a reflector for this?
    Gotta love a redhead!

5. You already know what I think, Frank.

Any picture of the gorgeous Aunt Nancy is good enough for me!

:wink:

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I like #2. She has a much more relaxed smile. The light is flattering. And heck, she's a redhead just like me! :D

She is a very lovely lady....you must feel like a very lucky man!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank great shots.

But wow the red is just really strong here. (not hair)

8. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis