Critique my first try at new techniques

Nancy's headed to our future daughter-in-law's bridal shower, so she had her hair and makeup done, and I couldn't resist
taking her portrait. I tried a couple of new tricks. I used fill flash off-camera, with my new sc29 sync cord, and I shot
in RAW. I edited with the RAW Essentials software package, converted to TIFF, and finished it off in Photoshop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 8239

Frank,

I really like the formal pose in #1, the fact that you have natural highlights in her hair without a sense of direct sunlight. Your use the the off camera flash worked very well, giving her face a lovely light. #2 is a great expression, warm and a more relaxed smile. What did you do in photoshop? #2 almost looks like you ran some type of painting effect.

I could easily envision #1 in particular in a nice frame at 11x14 on the wall. Beautiful work. You really brought out your wife's beauty and warmth.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I think I was a little heavy handed in editing the RAW negatives. Does this one look more natural?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great job, I much prefer #2 - seems to have more personality in it. In #1 I'm not all that crazy about so much light on her left and the shadow on the right of her face, maybe a reflector for this?
Gotta love a redhead!

I like #2. She has a much more relaxed smile. The light is flattering. And heck, she's a redhead just like me! :D

She is a very lovely lady....you must feel like a very lucky man!

UncleFrank said:
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I think I was a little heavy handed in editing the RAW negatives. Does this one look more natural?

[/quote]

Frank,

It does look more natural and the cheek highlights aren't as strong, which I think is a good thing. You've obviously toned down the red. I'm not sure what's best on that - I think you need to judge it on your monitor and for your tastes based on how much it matches her true color. Most importantly, it doesn't look over processed as #2 did..

Tom

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom