1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique my settings, please

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by King, Jul 27, 2009.

1. King

King

Feb 3, 2009
    Boulder, Colorado
    I haven't posted anything for a while, so I might as well post up some photos I snapped from a moving truck yesterday while coming home from a camping trip somewhere 50 miles NW of Fort Collins, Colorado (8500ft)..

So...to explain sort of what I'd like critiqued are my settings. My buddy has been taking photos on DSLRs for about a month or two now and his photos are fantastic. I've been taking photos longer but he just "get's it", so I asked him for advice on shots towards the sun and how to achieve that without the sun dominating a photo or my metering to turn it black with a white dot. So for each individual photo I will post all of my known settings and would like critique on those and those alone. I was not trying to achieve anything by their composition or anything like that, just playing around with my settings. Again please critique my settings and settings alone and if you could give me advice on how to set it better to light well, but not dominate that would be appreciated.

Aperture- f/5
    ISO- 200
    Exposure- 1/2500s
    Focal length- 18mm
    Metering- Center Weighted

IMG_7967copy.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aperture- f/5
    ISO- 200
    Exposure- 1/2500s
    Focal length- 18mm

IMG_7969copy.jpg

Aperture- f/9
    ISO- 200
    Exposure- 1/800s
    Focal length- 18mm

IMG_7971copy.jpg

Aperture- f/4.5
    ISO- 100
    Exposure- 1/640s
    Focal length- 18mm

IMG_8014copy.jpg

Aperture- f/4.5
    ISO- 100
    Exposure- 1/1250s
    Focal length- 18mm

IMG_8062copy.jpg

Aperture- f/4.5
    ISO- 100
    Exposure- 1/640s
    Focal length- 18mm

IMG_8053copy.jpg

Anyway that's it for now...and other than some mild sharpening and color vibrance via lightroom on certain photos they're pretty much untouched.

I eagerly wait your critique

2. Hi

The first thing that I notice is that your aperture is set too wide open
    Since very little will be in focus, none of your shots will be as sharp as his (or anyone elses)

For landscape shots like those, your aperture should be f8-f16 - the greater DoF will get much more of the scenery in focus

You did a good job getting the sky a nice blue - did you use the AE lock on the sky first?
    If so, that is the right strategy

Did you have the lens hood on?
    If not, that will help with some of the lens flare - but with that much sun in the shot, I'm not sure it will be fully eliminated

Hope this helps

3. King

King

Feb 3, 2009
    Boulder, Colorado
    I didn't use a lens hood no, and I don't have any idea what or how to use AE-Lock. I've tried looking it up before but with no luck. And I'll give the smaller aperture a shot when it gets sunny again...it's a bit gloomy today.

4. To achieve the white dot and everything black pic, you need to meter just to the outside edge of the sun. Your shutter speed is too slow to for those images. You should probably be around 1/4000+

The other problem is, shooting landscape when the Sun is high in the sky is recommended without a Circular Polarizer or ND Filters.

As you can see from your last shot, some areas are too dark and others are blown out. Shooting in that light and getting a balanced image is near impossible without filters or maybe taking two pics and combining later in PP.

Canon Rebel? What are you doing here?

5. Just noticed you're also in Manual mode and Center Weighted metering mode, why did you choose that?

6. King

King

Feb 3, 2009
    Boulder, Colorado
    <== Used to own a D50, moved over to the Canonites. I'm also here because this place tends to be more active than POTN.

Manual because I'm never happy with any of the preset modes.

Center weighted just to give it a shot. I noticed a small difference between that and the evaluative metering mode and I was happier with the results I got with the center weighted setting.

7. Midpack

Midpack

Jun 8, 2009
    Chicagoland
    What's causing the purple cast to the sun rays? Never seen that before, but I'm a newb.

8. OK -
    1st Use a lens hood - all the time, not just for these type of shots - it cuts down on lens flare, and prevents the front of the lens from being bumped into

2nd For AE Lock - go to the website below
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2547

3rd Shoot even if it is gloomy - you can still test your settings, without having a nice blue sky

4th Use AV mode, not manual - you only care about the Aperture in a landscape shot, not the shutter speed (unless you aren't on a tripod)

5th Don't shoot landscapes at midday, if you can help it

6th Buy the book Understanding Exposure by Bran Peterson - it is low priced and a fast read

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.