critique needed

what do u guys think? this was taken with a 50mm f1.8 lens taken a 1/125 sec. @ f4.5 ISO 160. i'm still a newbie..so i'd appreciate any comments i could get cuz i wanna get better :) thanks!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I think it's a beautifully composed image with nice bokeh. I think if you do a Levels adjustment to 0/1.14/246 you'll see the midtones come to life.

THANK YOU for not posting a portrait taken in direct sunlight! It's refreshing to see someone who exhibits sound basic photographic technique. Just look at that avatar! This person eve knows how to hold a camera. There is hope after all.

Keep posting... we need more people like you setting a good example.

Hi Anna, and welcome to the Cafe!
This little cutie is totally adorable! Is she yours? I sort of question why you chose to shoot in Manual mode if you're not that experienced with the camera. Heck, I shot with my 1st DSLR for 3 yrs before going primarily to Aperture mode! (That's too long!)
The pic's a little underexposed. You could've prevented that by either going to a higher ISO, or increasing the Exposure with Exp Compensation, or using a slower shutter speed, but that's not very practical with a child. I was able to correct the shot to some degree increasing the Highlights and Midtone Levels in PS, and also, the White Balance is off imo,(what was the WB set to?) I added a fair amt of red and some yellow using Color Balance also in PS.(adjust these to taste). Lastly, I used the Dodge tool in PS to bring out a little detail in her Irises. Also, I added a small amt of Unsharp Mask to compensate for reduction to web.
Here's the results, along with your original. I'll remove it from my pbase page after you've seen it.
Tweaked version:

Your original:

wow, thanks for the comments, and i do appreciate those critiques you've given me. (woody, roy n steve) now to answer ur question steve, i was shooting in manual mode bcuz i feel like auto is like ehhh... to me.. i find it more challenging to shoot using the manual mode cuz for me this would be a best way of trying to learn which settings to set the camera on as i go along. but i do lovee the your tweaked version of the pic! it made her (yes, she's my daughter) come out more and seems like she's more in focused too! gosh i have a longgg way to go of learning everything, but yea, one step at a time..:biggrin:

thanks guys ! i appreciate it :)

wow, thanks for the comments, and i do appreciate those critiques you've given me. (woody, roy n steve) now to answer ur question steve, i was shooting in manual mode bcuz i feel like auto is like ehhh... to me.. i find it more challenging to shoot using the manual mode cuz for me this would be a best way of trying to learn which settings to set the camera on as i go along. but i do lovee the your tweaked version of the pic! it made her (yes, she's my daughter) come out more and seems like she's more in focused too! gosh i have a longgg way to go of learning everything, but yea, one step at a time..:biggrin:

thanks guys ! i appreciate it :)
Hey Anna, glad you like my little tweaks. You know I wasn't suggesting you put your camera in Auto mode, don't you? When I'm in the studio, under controlled lighting, I always shoot in M mode, but any other time, I'm in A mode. Nothing wrong with shooting in Manual, but I just feel it might make your learning curve a bit steeper.
So, what did you have your WB set to, surely, it wasn't "Auto" was it? :wink: lol Does your cam have a Kelvin temp WB setting? I'm using it more and more outside the studio, and always do a preset WB in studio. Bringing a grey card with you, and shooting it in the current "incident" light is always a good idea to get the most accurate WB for a given scene. I use a WhiBal card for this. It's small and easy to take along. Getting the skintones correct are critical for getting good people shots. What program do you use for editing your pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Anna, glad you like my little tweaks. You know I wasn't suggesting you put your camera in Auto mode, don't you? When I'm in the studio, under controlled lighting, I always shoot in M mode, but any other time, I'm in A mode. Nothing wrong with shooting in Manual, but I just feel it might make your learning curve a bit steeper.
So, what did you have your WB set to, surely, it wasn't "Auto" was it? :wink: lol Does your cam have a Kelvin temp WB setting? I'm using it more and more outside the studio, and always do a preset WB in studio. Bringing a grey card with you, and shooting it in the current "incident" light is always a good idea to get the most accurate WB for a given scene. I use a WhiBal card for this. It's small and easy to take along. Getting the skintones correct are critical for getting good people shots. What program do you use for editing your pics?

yea, i'm afraid my white balance was set on auto that day..hehe kelvin temp wb setting? i'm not sure what that is..so fill me in, pls. will ya? :wink: i do know how to preset my white balance inside a studio though ..but what kind of gray card or any white balance card should i carry? just anything white or gray will do? oh and i use photoshop to tweak my pics. would u recommend any other program? :smile:

yea, i'm afraid my white balance was set on auto that day..hehe kelvin temp wb setting? i'm not sure what that is..so fill me in, pls. will ya? :wink: i do know how to preset my white balance inside a studio though ..but what kind of gray card or any white balance card should i carry? just anything white or gray will do? oh and i use photoshop to tweak my pics. would u recommend any other program? :smile:
Kelvin temp is color temperature, and is a WB choice on the D2X/H series and the D200 cams. Haven't used a D80, so don't know is it offers that. Auto WB is too hit and miss for accurate skintones. Your Auto WB was obviously too cool for the warm shady lighting present.
As mentioned in my previous reply, I use a WhiBal card for this. You can Google it. PS is the perfect program for editing. Would love to see more of your work, so keep posting!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom