critique of wife's sharpness

Discussion in 'People' started by marine 337, Oct 8, 2017.

1. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Looks fine to me.

2. Me too.

3. I looked at eyes. The first one is very good; the eyes are not quotes as sharp in the second one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    I agree. The second one, the shirt looks like it was the focus point.

5. These look fine. You seem overly concerned with sharpness. It's not really the most critical element for portraiture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I agree with Mitch in his quote above. The background in both of these shots is fairly busy when it appears that you have lots of trees/bushes, etc. to act as a back drop. When thrown out of focus they almost always would be preferable to a house. In the second one I would gently ask your wife to lower her chin as this pose makes her seem proud and or haughty while this does not seem to be her persona at all. Having her relax and crack just a hint of a smile would make her seem much more approachable. Technically your images of your wife are good with well saturated colors a decent use of DOF and enough sharpness to satisfy most critics. I hope this helps and just wanted to tell you that your wife is lovely and with just a few tweaks in her pose, could be excellent.

7. Thx to all---maybe I am just a little to critical. Since I have joined the forum I enjoy all the comments--which are making me think more clearly when composing ---instead of just snapping a pix. My wife says why am I moving her around. When I explain I'm thinking about the angles, background and exposure , she just laughs and says just take the picture. To me its becoming a passion , not just a hobby. Maybe I'm a little nuts. Gordon---your right on the money---asking her to smile and relax is like pulling back molars. I would like to do some inside controlled portraits of her----but I know I'll be threatened with divorce court. She's really a sweetheart who puts up with my BS-----must be true love.

Ken

8. Your very fortunate to have a wife that will accommodate your requests, our family will be missing my wife, no offspring will know who that woman was, when she was a child her father, a avid amateur photographer used her for practice, and now today she has a big scar, when ever I try to take a pic of her its a war........so what I'm saying is your troubles are very small in comparison, the pic looks fine.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  9. Darrell-----thx for the thoughtful story---we sometimes take things for granted. We need to stop and think---again thx
    Ken

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    FWIW....on CreativeLive.com... THIS WEEK......there are several free courses on photographing and processing people images.......

11. Karen thx for the heads up. Will check it out.

Ken

12. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Hi Ken. I like the DOF in the images and the first image seems sharp enough to me. But I agree with the comments above about the busy BGs. So, closer shots or tighter crops might look better.

13. Ken - You've asked for feedback several times on whether you are achieving sharpness with the images you've posted. I didn't pull up your past threads but looking at the two shots you posted, I think that your technique is improving. To me the first shot looks sharp and the second shot looks a tiny bit soft with respect to your wife's eyes; nothing that isn't acceptable but not as sharp as the first image. I don't remember if you have mentioned the editing software you are using but I copied both images and opened them up in Lightroom. Then I used an LR plugin to check where you put the focus points. In the first image, if the plugin got it right, the focus point is primarily on your wife's nose so the Af system had some contrast and detail to work with to achieve a sharp focus. In the second image, the focus point is to the right of her nose and lips with most of the square blank. The might explain why it isn't quite as sharp as the first picture; plus she has her head tilted back a bit so that would affect the depth of field. Almost all of the portrait shooting advice I've read emphasizes getting the eyes sharp so I would practice getting those eyes in focus by placing your focus point over an eye or if the head is slightly turned over the eye that is the closest to you. As you continue to work to get your focus technique down pat you can also consider how you pose your subject, the quality of the lighting, and whether the background is distracting.

Your wife is a gem to pose for you like she does. I wish I could get that type of cooperation from my wife.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Side note. I do hope you are shooting subjects other than your wife! There are lots of way to practice achieving critical focus and narrowing the DOF. If you enjoy photographing people, then find public venues that offer a chance to practice. Or animals at the zoos. Or gardens?? Or....??? The point is your wife is obviously uncomfortable with always having a camera in her face. All your photography should not be about your wife. Find other subjects you enjoy photographing and practice on them. Once she sees that you have learned now to present a subject in a beautiful way, she might become more comfortable in front of the camera. Then, she can be an occasional subject for you....and perhaps enjoy it more.

JMHO......from someone who hates to have their photo taken! LOL!

15. Karen-----your advice is well taken----much appreciated. the forum members have given me some get tips which I enjoy experimenting with------thx all

Ken

16. Ken,

I pretty much agree with what has already been said especially about your interest in sharpness.
    (TBH, these images look as if they are SOOC with no additional sharpening.
    When that sharpening is done, the detail changes dramatically.)​
    By oncentrating on technical issues that are tangential to great images, you are losing any spontaneity in your subject.
    Plus you are throwing away pixels because of loose framing.

upload_2017-10-11_12-41-48.

upload_2017-10-11_12-41-40.

• Like Like x 1