Critique Please! Bee on a flower

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PGB, Jun 27, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Took this shot last week at the site for the 2005 NikonCafe.com picnic. Huntsville Botanical Gardens.

Please let me know what you like and dislike about this photo.

Thanks,

26365337-O.

2. Patrick
    The likght, exposure and colors are magnificent. I would crop everything to the left of the main subject and make a vertical presentation.
    Great work sir, Glad you had the camera with you :^)

3. Patrick, I agree with Dave. I'd crop it vertically and lose the flower on the left. I really like the deep red/orange/yellow of the interior of the flower along with the pink petals all set against the bright green backdrop! Even without the bee I think it would be nice, mainly because of the colors.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Dave and Kevin,

Thanks for the responses. Here is the crop per your recommendations.

Vertical Crop
    26368229-O.

I like this version of it.

Thanks,

5. Patrick,

WOW

You can easily hang this on the wall !!!

6. That is perfect!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick,

I like 'em both, but agree that the second really pops. What lens?

8. Patrick, that is even better than I imagined! Very nice indeed. In comparing it to the 1st (which I really did like) it is 10x better. All of the distracting elements from the 1st are gone and you only see the flower and the bee. For me, this is definitely a winner! :)

9. The verticle really pops.......looks great.

10. Love the vertical crop Patrick. It kicks butt.

11. Patrick,

I really like this verison. Now I have a question for you. What is the name of that flower? They are in bloom here in Maryland and I have captured a few images over the last week or so. Is it called the cone flower? Is there a red and yellow variety?

12. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

I like the 2nd photo a lot better.

In the first, a lot of the space on the top, left hand side seems to be "empty".

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Crystall,

I'm not sure what they are but I'll try to look them up today.

I agree with everyone that the empty space on the 1st one was distracting.

Thanks everybody!