Critique please: This is for Machine Gun and Helmet

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Helmet and Machine Gun (Brett and Ben) :biggrin:

I know you some of you are not to keen on silhouettes, but her eis another silhouette a little later than my previous shot. The birdie was flying a little lower and flew right in front of the sky where the sun had just dropped below the treeline..

Nice rich colors and a dark silhouette (as per Bens request) :rolleyes:

Also, was testing out the firmware upgrade to the D2X.. Jury is still out on it..

Tech info..
    D2X
    300m F/4
    1/4000
    F/7.1
    ISO 320
    EV -1/3

Enjoy comments and critiques welcome

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

I'm one that is not real keen on silhouettes, but that said, this one is pretty good. I like the colors and composition, and the inclusion of the tree in the lower left corner adds to the image's appeal IMO. My only nit is that the bird looks like it may have a very slight sharpening halo around it. That could just be due to the heavy back lighting however.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I do like sihouettes and I think this one is beatuiful.
    Not easy to get a good one.
    Just watch the sharpening and halo.

Been trying to get a good one for awhile. I am doing real good with reflections, as I find those most pleasing.as well.

Thanks for sharing.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Works for me Eric
    I had three shots same time same bat channel, but alas they were happier in the trash.

Yours is very good, I think it would look even better in print ?
    As Frank has mentioned inclusion of tree gives a sense of space and the halo, I don't know was it just backlight? Either way it is very slight.

5. Could be over sharpening I have to go back and redo it and I can repost the thing again...

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Brett - I love silhouettes of graceful fliers, and against that glorious lighting this one is fabulous. As others have asked, is this slightly oversharpened or is the halo backlighting? I like the idea of trees to "ground" the picture and give it some perspective. Did you crop this? I would like to see the bird a bit more into the picture and some more trees in the corner. Would have been good if the trees could have been in focus and more "solid". These are nits. I'll be glad to take a print if you want to send one! :biggrin:

Gordon

7. Eric nice work, this silhouette works no question about it.

Halo Schmalo, print it and grin!

8. Wonder why a lot of people just don't like silhouettes in there images..