Critique please?

This was my first attempt at moving water. I only had a .6 ND filter and could have use a lot more I think. Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Alex,

It was nice to get up into the mountains and out of the city heat. This is about an hour drive out of Denver.

Paul,

That's what I wanted to know. I see something strange with the color as well and can't seem to put my finger on it. This shot was at high altitude on a clear day so maybe UV or IR contamination. Perhaps its the filter. :?

It's a nice shot, and I think the motion of the water is captured well. I would prefer this to a longer exposure where some areas of the water are blown out to completely white and featureless. I agree with Paul though that the WB/color seems a bit off; it seems a bit too cool/blue.

This shot was taken between 8000 and 10,000 feet and could explain a blue cast to the light. This was on the road up Berthoud pass on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park.

What about this version?

That one seems better in that it has less blue cast, but now it seems too bright, washed out.
Maybe run a little levels?

Charles...

I think that I prefer the first image...when I began to read the thread from the beginning, you seemed disappointed with the first image. Personally, I think that you did a great job with it...just enough blur in the water...the second image is just a bit too much. You did fine with the first attempt.

Frank,

So you like the first one? It does seem to have more pop, but also a color cast, that I will work on. I keep trying to post process to what I actually saw and that doesn't always make the best image.

Beaitiful scenery. Love the water, but for me, odd one out, don't care for smooth water. I can't hear it.

Just like it natural

Gilles said:
Charles i like it very much. Is it the only picture you took of those moving water?
I only have two different captures of this scene. One without the bridge and one with. The one with the bridge has not been processed yet. Some may think it strange that I only took 2 images. I spend more time looking at the scene without a camera than I do actually taking the image. :)

The other view of the stream for critique.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom