Critique this studio group shot of my Neices & Nephew

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, May 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Please offer your critical opinions of shot. Please bear in mind, this is just a rough draft, without any finishing touches whatsoever. Only mild tone curves and sharpening were applied. Please don't hold back just 'cause they're my relatives!
    PS, large 47in Octabox, 6 ft away, 45 deg camera right, and 48in shoot through umbrella my immediate camera left.

Nikon D2X/28-70 f2.8
    Focal Length: 48mm
    Optimize Image:
    Color Mode: Mode I (sRGB)
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off
    2005/05/05 18:22:17.6
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Flash +1
    Tone Comp.: Less Contrast
    RAW (12-bit)
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Hue Adjustment: +3°
    Image Size: Large (4288 x 2848)
    1/160 sec - F/4
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Saturation: Normal
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sharpening: High
    Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
    Sensitivity: ISO 100
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV

2. Couple of problems with this one, Steve.

Lighting is too harsh on the boy's forehead, and he oversmiling to the point where we can't see his eyes.

The image is underexposed by about 1/2 stop.

The cute little redhead is very awkwardly posed, with her arms straight out.

3. Good start but I think I'd like to see a shot with the camera a bit lower...

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Frank & Sandi

Frank, I'm very curious, how do you check for underexposure? And ya, now that I look at it, the boy, is squinting quite a bit, and boy, did he have some shiny skin! And, the little redhead does have awkward looking hands. I'll have to see what other poses I have to work with. I just wanted to hurry up & get something up on the board last night for some initial feedback. The pressure's on, since the dad is leaving it up to me to choose the proof.

And, for Sandi, why do you think the camera should've been lower? The Lens was aimed right about in the middle of the group. fwiw, there's no "do over" as this is to be a surprise pic for my sis's mother's day present from them.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Can't speak for Frank, but I look at exposure with the histogram:
    [​IMG]

Up the exposure with software?

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Are you looking a this in PS, Chris?

I never knew there was this feature in PS! My problem, is that, although I did check the histo in-cam, I don't know how to read one for sh#@!

7. Steve, you're still in good shape. The exposure is well within range to be corrected from the RAW negative, or even in Photoshop. And the grouping is excellent. Just look for a shot where the boy's eyes aren't squinted, and where the little girl's hands are in a more natural position. I'll be happy to help with editing the glare on the boy's head if you'd like. Just email me the full sized file after it's been converted to jpg.

8. Yes you can, and you did. And you did a better job of it than I would have :).

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Suggestion if i may.

If you spot to shiny skin. Keep some make-up in studio :>)) (different flesh color) Maybe a comb :>)))))))

Bring the right hand side of the histo over to the left a bit to where it really begins.

fiddle with curves a bit and perhaps a touch of levels.

10. budguinn

budguinn Guest

Steve, except for the squinting eyes it can all be fixed...if it can't be reshot. Also, many people just naturally squint like that when they smile.
    I would crop the picture to the knees of the little gal in the purple....this might help the odd look of the arms straight out. Then some slight curves...and a bit of bringing out the shadows and you have a really very nice picture.

bud