Critiques ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PJohnP, Oct 30, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    In the discussions in the Cafe over the last couple of weeks about condensing the fora, a number of people also proposed a "Critique" sub-forum for people to solicit constructive comments and criticism. Others proposed simply developing critiques in-situ on the existing sub-fora.

But how to make those posts stand out ?

I've posted a thread in Miscellany asking for comments and critiques that starts with the prefix "C&C" for Comment and Critique as a starting point. Also as a starting point, I've used the Question icon with the post, as a key to asking for C&C.

It's not the ideal solution, but it's a working solution, and I hope we can move into using this designation throughout the sub-fora, at least until an ideal solution presents itself.

C&C anyone ?

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=56125

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    John,
    I'm one of the proponents of a separate gallery. As a comment and critique to this concept, I would just have a single image in a post. It's helpful to see the image while you're typing comments, but when there are multiple images in the same post, you can't. Also, I know it's polite to thank people for the "kind words" but when you're asking for comments and critiques aren't you always asking for suggestions for improvement? I would think that your idea is to get past the "kind words" to the suggestions.
    Mike

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Mike :

Fair comments about multiple images, although, personally, I don't have a problem with C&C on more than one shot. I'll post separate image C&Cs as a test of the idea, though.

As for the suggestions for improvement, I was given some quite cogent concrete ones by Chris, and in general, I agreed with his suggestions. He also offered "kind words" which I did offer thanks for, I admit. :wink: Still, he hit several issues of composition (the topic of my C&C) that were useful ideas for me, and I'll incorporate some of those in my next attempts at better composition.

In terms of a new sub-forum, well, that one's in the air right now. I'm not a Moderator, so I can't comment on what's to come.

In any event, I've proposed a starting point on this, and if you or others can improve on the idea, I'll gratefully cede to the next concept to come along. After all, that's the exact point of C&C, eh ?

John P.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well I don't think a critique should contain only criticism or negative comments; a good critiquel will also point out which elements of the picture do work. Not just because it's polite or to give the person a pat on the back, but because it can be just as useful to the learning process to know what you did right as to know what you did wrong.

Many may have seen this before but I think this article is well worth reading for anybody who wants to post and/or ask for critiques.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-1.html

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jeff :

An excellent resource ! Thanks for posting the link. I can see several areas where my C&C can improve based on this material.

John P.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent link Jeff. Thanks.

8. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the link. It should be posted as a "sticky"

Mike

9. I like the idea and suggested something similar in the original "critique" thread. C&C works for me. Now for an Icon.............. How about a smiley face with a black eye:biggrin: Ok maybe not, but I still like the idea.