CROP Finder for 8X10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by W.Ditto, May 29, 2007.

1. probably wrong place to post; how much should you mark off on each side of your focusing screen to produce 8X10 coverage without cropping - I knew the amount for 35mm focussing screens, but not digigob finders, like the D70s and D50 - anybody? anybody?
    thanks

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

How about framing a 8x10 photo in your viewfinder and seeing the exact amount ?
    How you mark the viewfinder screen is another matter though....

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Dit, let me see if I understand what you are asking. Are you asking how much room should be allowed for when taking a picture so when printed to 8x10, no viable part image will be lost? If I understand you correctly, I would shoot loose enough so one-fifth of the image can be cropped, but nothing within the subject matter will be adversely effected.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Take a measurement of the vertical dimension, divide by 8, multiply by 10. Subtract this number from the horizontal dimension, divide by 2. The resultant is the measurement in from each end.

5. hmmmmmmmmm, I'll try that (I'll use a lite pencil line)....back later
    thanks

6. okay, I come up with 2.1 mm from each end....or roughly 1/5th like Frank said...gonna try it now
    rthanks y'all