1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Crop Help

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by t2933rm, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Is it better to crop at 2x3 (4"x6") or should I cut down to best part of photo for veiwability? I am posting a few examples but just asking for thoughts.

1 not cropped (goes with 2)
    [​IMG]

2 my crop (should I go smaller?)
    [​IMG]

3 not cropped (goes with 4)
    [​IMG]

4 my crop
    [​IMG]

THANKS as always your advise and help is appreciated!!!

Bob

2. Great shots!!!

I think in photo #2 that the crop looks excellent. You might want to try moving the crop to the "right" just a bit to get the ball carrier's arm comfortably in the frame at the risk of cropping out the tackler (blue jersey). It looks like the ball carrier's arm is right up against the crop and takes away just a bit from him.

In photo #4 you might want to try to crop out tackler #35 to get in a little tighter although I proabably would leave it as is. Looks excellent!!

Just some thoughts. I think the photos look great!

my best,

Rick

3. Thanks Rick,

I will take and work on #2. I am never good at the portrait version when I crop. My first instinct is always to do landscape mostly because it looks better on my monitor and I don't print much.

Thanks again!

Bob

4. No problem Bob! I have the same thing happen when I crop the greyhound photos. Once in a while I need to do a portrait crop and it really feels wierd!!

Keep up the great shooting and looking forward to seeing your next series!

take care,

Rick

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Bob, ricks got somegood advice there, but my biggest advice is to turn that camera on it's side when taking pics. more resolution for final crop!

6. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I agree with Rick. #2 needs to be a tad more to the right. You want the viewer to see the action unfolding rather than the tackle and 'that other kid' to the left in the shot. That player is distracting and needs to be minimized.

Likewise, #1 may need altering.

7. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I beg your pardon and hope you don't get mad, but I cropped the images you posted to better illustrate.

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

Obviously, #2 is up to anyone's opinion, but it helps explain my point.

8. I always initially crop to a 4x6 because that's what most folks purchase.

Dennis

9. Looks to me like you cloned out a knee. Anyway, I think I still would have cropped a bit tighter on #2. There is too much "empty" space to the right and above the subjects.

10. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    The crop aspect ratio you use is dependent on end use. If they are going to be printed then you should choose an appropriate ratio for waht you are selling. Be careful to leave some room around the image so you can print at 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 ratios. You can always recrop tighter - harder in reverse.

If you are "just" posting for the web go for it - whatever works

11. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Erm ... I don't know the details. But if you're saving anything other than raw or *.tiff then the crop ratio can, I've read, affect image quality because of the algorithms that are used for compression and display. Maybe someone 'mathematical' here knows more about that :confused: 

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    umm, well, news to me. I'm guessing with the typical maximum longest side of 800K and a file size of less than 200K then it might not make too much difference

Some shots look quite good square.

13. Thanks and sorry for not responding quicker

Had practice so I have been gone for a few hours.

All great stuff, Everyone on the site has been great and I do appreciate all the time and efforts you guys make to help out a new user.

I would add your quotes text to respond, but I do not know how.

Tim,
    Until I get the MB-D80 for the D90 it is still a pain, (looking for a used one BTW) but I do understand the camera vertical for portrait makes life better for portrait

Jstat,
    Thanks, I agree that the arm directly connected to the crop looks bad in my #2 and adding to the right will open up the viewers eyes.
    Always my picts can be used to help no worries.
    I like your take on your number one, But I liked the other kids glasses in number 2 that is why I left him in.

Oddstray and Kiwifamily,
    Thanks as well, these are greatly reduced images 400k for posting the originals are 4.5 meg. I am not firmiliar with the loss of quality at odd sizes, but I always crop at 4x6. This is the stuff I need to know as I go forward, many would look great square.

14. Dennis, Thanks I too always start at 4x6

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.