Crop Questions

Discussion in 'People' started by Montec, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    I have a couple shots that I have a questions about.

The Mom is lying down propped up on one elbow, her legs stick out a couple feet past the centre of the picture and it looks a bit odd and off centered, I know cropping off hands and feet in a no-no but in this case the photo looks better (to me) if I crop her legs off and centre the photo.

Any thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Absolutely do not crop off the mom's feet. This is a great family shot and having it off center makes it it even better. What a pretty mom, you will have to shoot more of her.

3. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Thanks...I knew better :( but I was making some prints and some aspect ratios like 8x10 looked a bit odd to me.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I see what you mean. Fashion shots very often have limbs cropped every way from Sunday, so why not crop this one too? If it were mine, I'd crop it at the very bottom of her slacks, just so none of her bare leg is showing. Then, if need be to get the correct ratio, you could trim a touch off the top, and or bottom. I tried it and it looks fine. I think the general rule of acceptance is that you normally don't crop mid-limb, that crops look best just above the joint. In this case, due to her slacks ending where they do, you could make an exception because the flow is better that way.

5. i agree, at the pants line would look fine, altho #1 is very good...how about stretch the other dimension to make it fit better in 8x10

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I have to agree with Gordon. IMO #1 is perfect - my eyes have an easier time enjoying what is a great image in #1. #2 feels crowded and would be even more crowded if cropped to the pant line.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Changed my mind

I'm back to thinking #1 is fine the way it is. Additional cropping does crowd the image too much.
    Man, I bet that poor woman's got her hands full if all those kids are hers!

8. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    #1 looks great IMO. Excellent capture.

9. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    Noooooooooooooo!!

Do not amputate the lady!!

Beautiful family shot the way it is

10. Nice portrait! I think both look fine... the crop would be necessary if printing an 8 x 10...

11. I have to agree with Gordon. Don't crop the mother's feet. Also, is that a tattoo above the mother's left breast? If so, she should either show it all or cover it all. JMHO. Great shot BTW.

12. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    The tatoo was intended to be covered but the angle she was at made it slightly visible.

Thanks for all the comments, they want an 8x10 so maybe I will look at some kind of creative matting?

13. Have you thought of an 8x12? Many times, unless you have planned for an 8x10 print, the 8x12 format works great. I would let the customer make the choice.