crop thoughts please GBH

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Been oh so slow the last month or so with birding here in the st. louis area. So much water the birds have so much to choose from, hard to locate and get close to anything,

did get lucky this morning with a head shot, D300, 200-400VR with 1.4, f6.7, ISO 200, auto WB changed to 6000 for #2, 3, 1/500, handheld

here are three different images, and I did a different post on each and tried different crops. Thoughts please on the crop. I like the post in 2 and 3, and 1 has been cropped about 30% and is pretty much as shot,

web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

web.jpg

web.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ok, I was seeing all three, but changed the link, switching to a new hosting location so this serves as a test too, let me know,

Wade

I can see all 3 of them now, Wade. I prefer #1. The stronger rendition of the background in #2 & #3 competes with the subject.

Hi Wade

I agree with Frank and would definitely go with # 1.

Why is is that no matter where you shoot GBH, they always have their eyes pointed away from you? (not you personally, I meant in general).

:)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I can see all 3 of them now, Wade. I prefer #1. The stronger rendition of the background in #2 & #3 competes with the subject.

Thanks Frank for the eye, One was with auto WB, no levels, but I warmed up the bird a touch and left the background alone

I agree with Frank and would definitely go with # 1.

Why is is that no matter where you shoot GBH, they always have their eyes pointed away from you? (not you personally, I meant in general).

:)

I think it is in their genes!

I also find #1 to be more pleasing to the eye.

Thanks David, for the same reason as Frank? Just wondering.

Wade

I agree with the rest, I like the "post" in #1 the best. However, I like the crop in #3 the best. In fact, I would crop up even further, to where the feathers coming off the head are almost in the lower left corner. Turn it into even more of a "pano" look. Then I'd sharpen up the eye, make it "pop" a bit more.

That's the 27 cents from my corner of the world :wink:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Excellent shots Wade, my choice is #1.

thanks, Louis

I prefer the first one because the background looks a little more natural and detracts less from the bird and also because more of the bird's neck is shown. The third crop cuts his neck off too much.....

thanks Connie

I agree with the rest, I like the "post" in #1 the best. However, I like the crop in #3 the best. In fact, I would crop up even further, to where the feathers coming off the head are almost in the lower left corner. Turn it into even more of a "pano" look. Then I'd sharpen up the eye, make it "pop" a bit more.

That's the 27 cents from my corner of the world :wink:

crop 3 was my favorite, but I tend to like 10x20 prints.

I like the added color in the feathers on #1 too...stick with it.

Thanks for the look.

To All: Interesting, in a critique request on post I did earlier in the year I had comments regarding the WB and folks wanting a darker blue water than the warmer water as shot out of the camera.

On this go around (different posters) people like the first shot color and WB and subject isolation, and most like the crop in number 1.

Always interesting to get ideas thoughts from such a fine group of photogs, I do appreciate the words.

I will probably end up with a 2:1 ratio crop with a bit warmer lighter water I think, but tomorrow is a different day and I will change my mind once again!

Cheers,

Wade

Latest threads

Top Bottom