Cropping and general C&C help

Discussion in 'People' started by Jim Strathearn, May 27, 2007.

1. Got this shot of my niece yesterday and want to crop it for an 8 x 10 print. First off, how do you think the pic came out? This was outside, fill flash, D2h, 50mm f/1.8, Fong Ball. Second, which crop, if any, do you like the most? Original is first.

I also did this image as a tint. Does it work?

2. I like the second one the best. This eliminates her neck area which is too lite and serves as a distraction. I am not a fan of the last one and would rather see it as a straight B&W.
  3. Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    I think she would look better in a different pose
  4. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    First one
  5. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Overall I think the photo would be better if your subject was looking at the camera, but I still like the photo. IMO #2 is best.
  6. Thanks Gordon. I now see what you mean about the neck.
  7. Do you mean something more like your avatar pose? :eek::biggrin:

This was a candid and it's one of those classic "looks" she gives from time to time. I guess you have to know her to appreciate the look.

Thanks for looking!
  8. Thanks Gale!

Thanks Fred. I have to get her to sit and pose for me...
  9. Jim,

First, I think the picture came out well. Second, I like the crop in #2 the best. I think if you are going to crop off parts then you need to go for a more severe crop and focus on just her face.

10. biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    My first ,gut reaction was # 1 .
  11. Thanks Mike. I appreciate the input.
  12. Thanks Biggs! I like that one the best myself, but it doesn't fit as an 8 x 10, but rather an 8 x 12. (Which I suppose is a possiblilty...)