Cropping and Re-Sizing

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by jgrove, Sep 16, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Cropping is makking my head spin!

If i have an image of a set size and i want it to fit 10*8 or 8*10 i can set the crop to clip the image so that it prints without broders etc. But loose some of the image is that correct?

But if i want to resample the whole image to a set size i do this in image size and set the inches in that box?

I know its a daft question! Sorry :redface:

2. This is called aspect ratio and is the bane of many photographers. The film or CCD aspect ratio is not the same as the print aspect ratio on certain print sizes. For that reason it is important that we have the final aspect ratio in mind when we shoot the image; e.g., if I am shooting a family group and know that the customer wants an 8x10 portrait print I must leave enough space above and below the group to accommodate that. Otherwise, I will be cutting into the head or feet of the subject. With the high pixel count D2X this is not a problem as cropping does not compromise the print. When doing a 16x20 print with a D2H, this aspect ratio could be the difference between a good print and one that is not acceptable.

Now as to your cropping question. Yes, you can crop to the proper print size but unless you are doing 4x6 prints you can expect to lose some of your image. For web posting that is not a problem because you can crop to any aspect ratio you want. The solution is to have the end in mind when taking the image. Kind of makes you want to go back to the Hasselblad square format doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2005
  3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks Gordon, your're a star! At least i know its not me!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd love to go back to the Hassleblad square format Gordon! Remember those 'infomercial' booklets that Victor Hassleblad put out, from the 50's through the late 80's? Those made excellent 'learn-by-example' items, as they usually covered one aspect of photography in depth, with many exapmples of how to use their equipment to do it. I never had a Hassy, but those books made me feel like my Mamiya was part of the club! :wink:

I crop using the marquee tool. To get a specific, change the pull down menu in the options palette, from Normal to Specific Aspect Ratio and then set that ratio to 8 by 10 in the h and w fields that will appear.

Then do Image > Crop and the picture crops, without changing the resolution, except for the part you cut off.

To print, I select Image > Image Size, turn off the checkbox for Resample Image and type in 8 inches and 10 inches in the document size area. The dpi will change to the proper value. Then Print with Preview just like normal.

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Hi Chris thanks for your post, i have done the first part but i dont have Crop (its greyed out) but i do have trim.

Is that correct? (CS2)

Thanks

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm trying to figure out why Crop is greyed out. If you have a rectangle selected with the rectangulaer selection (marquee) tool and there are marching ants around the selection, then Crop should be available in CS2 (as that is what I use.)

7. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks Chris i dont know what i had done but its now working, many thanks

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;