1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

cropping/aspect ratio/resulting print

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by maraya, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Was looking again at the collective shoot posted by Mike Buckley on cropping to try to get a handle on cropping and the effects on printing. I put in a picture yesterday at this thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186374 and one a week or so ago on this thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=184785. I want to print them off after I open up the raw files and do some work on them. The second one of the canola field I went back and retook with a different sky but same view. Have to get rid of the vignetting and then I would like to do as a canvas print with a galley wrap but I am having trouble wrapping my head around the aspect ratio/printing/cropping learning part of digital cameras. I am using a D300 and the stated image ratio is 3:2 in the specs but I am unsure what to do with that info. I have searched the net but haven't come up with much that I can understand. Was wondering if anyone can suggest a good tutorial or book on the subject. :confused: 
    Cheers
    Barb

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Without going back to ancient Greece, suffice it to say that the aspect ratio of 2:3 has some basis in art and hence was chosen as the sensor size of today's DSLR. This aspect ratio translates directly to some of todays common print sizes such as 4 x 6 or 20 x 30. Frames are made in sizes that do not necessarily translate to these sizes, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 11 x 14 and so on. To move from a 2:3 ratio to an 8 x 10 print size requires some cropping of the image but an 8 x 12 does not. Custom framing of an image can accomodate any size you want but standard framing will not and you must change the aspect ratio of your image to accomodate that. This requires cropping.

By the way, if you use your marquis tool in PS and put in the final print size you want it will show you what will have to be cropped from your image. Many of us have the final print size in mind when taking an image and leave enough room for the final crop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.