Cropping pics for different print sizes

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Edrod13, Sep 7, 2008.

1. First let me just say that I had a great time with my new to me 80-200 f/2.8 AFS at my nephews pee wee football game. I really enjoy shooting people but I might have to start up sports!! :biggrin: I thought I would put this here since this is mainly for the football pics that I just took over the weekend. At this point I am not really planning on selling any of the images since I do this for fun but I wanted to ask you sports photogs for your opinion.

I proccessed the RAW files and then the final output is to JPEG (about 11MB a piece). For the most part some of the pictures would definitely improve from a little cropping (200mm limit for this lens). Here is where I am confused about cropping since I want the best IQ possible, don't we all!!

Scenario 1:
    Take my final output JPEG and crop different sizes in CS2 when needed.

Scenario 2:
    Take my final output JPEG and in CS2 using the crop tool click FRONT IMAGE which will allow me to make the crop that I would want but keep the aspect ratio. This would allow me to print anyting in the 2:3 flavor, but not others. I did this for a few pics but noticed something that concerned me. The file size was smaller because of the crop but the deminsions still showed the same as the original when I put the cursor over the JPEG. I guess this method would be best but what happens when I want a non 2:3 size.

Any suggestions how you guys deal with crops because someday when I get good at this thing, I just might have to start charging to pay for some of my gear. :biggrin:

2. What I've learned here is to crop (tight, very tight) to show the image at its best...I sell mine on my EM site and post that....warning people that the final crop/print may not be identical.

Other may do this, but EM supports a nice workflow where I can do the quick fix and crop and save as .jpg (<200kb) and upload...then if someone wants to buy the image I get an email w/ the order size (4x6, 8x10, etc) and I then go and make the crop for that order and save as high rez print image.

This has saved me a tremendous amount of time and disk space....