1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cropping with GIMP (Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by TZ250, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Currently, I'm using GIMP for my basic PP needs. I'm cropping a batch of photos now, and I'd like to keep a certain ration (4X5) for 8X10's. Is there a way to tell GIMP to always use that ratio? I'm using a calculator and cropping each one manually to maintain the desired ratio.

Also, is CaptureNX2 worth buying? How much is it? I've not seen it and the website was vague on information and pricing.

TIA! :smile:

2. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    If you are using the latest version of Gimp this is very easy....though it will only remember your settings for as long as you have the program open....each time you close the program and re-open it will reset......this is okay though because if you are doing a group of a bunch at once, then it will remember throughout that group until you close Gimp.

All you do is select the crop tool, then below the tool sections you can change the settings for the selected tool. For the aspect ratio it will say something like 3000:2000 (or whatever your resolution is). Change that to 8:10 and check the box to retain the aspect ratio. Now when you go to crop, the crop section will be locked onto the 8x10 format. To change it between landscape and portrait just click the corresponding button next to where you entered the 8:10 value.

3. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Thank you! :smile:

I'm using 2.2.17. I'm going to upgrage today.

4. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri

God idea. I'd highly recommend the upgrade for many reasons.

5. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Nate, I'm having trouble downloading 2.4. The links don't work. When I switch to a mirror, they show about 50 links. I don't know which one to use.

The main sites aren't responding. I have a cable internet connection that is working well.

Please help.

Thanks again! :smile:

6. kgreen

kgreen

Jan 15, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    If the upgrade to Gimp 2.4 is problematic, you can specify aspect ratio in 2.2 as well:

1. With a photo open, select the Crop & Resize tool.

2. Click within the image and drag out a crop area of any size and shape.

3. When the Crop & Resize dialog opens, enter your desired value in the 'Aspect Ratio:' box and hit <Enter>. The Aspect ratio of your selected crop area should change to match the entered value.

4. Check the 'Keep aspect ratio' box in the lower part of the main tool selection dialog.

Now, when you drag the upper left or lower right handles of the crop border, the aspect ratio will be held as the size of the crop area changes. Dragging by the upper right or lower left corners will move the selection area as before.

7. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I usually just pick the first mirror. If it doesn't work, try the second and on down the line. With 50 mirror's, one of them is bound to be working.

8. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks, guys. I did finally get 2.4 to install. It was a very smooth process once I got it started. 2.4 even uninstalled 2.2 automatically. I was concerned that the new software would have different locations for the things that I need. Everything is familiar, but improved.

Another benefit is that 2.4 loads faster on my computer with Vista. 2.2 was made for XP.

KGreen, I didn't know about cropping ratio in 2.2. Thank you for explaining that to me.

I now have 2.4 and really like it! :smile:

9. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    LMAO you can upgrade to 2.6.0 now it was just released.

10. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Neimac, thank you for the update. I'm downloading it now. :smile:

11. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    ... and now you can upgrade to 2.6.3.

12. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Thank you. I upgraded to 2.4.7 about a month ago. GIMP is a cool program.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.