Cropping

Is it best to crop in camera or in editing software. Or does it not make any difference, obviously it is easier to edit on a large screen, but does one have advantages over the other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
do all editing on computer, including things your camera will do to a jpg (in other words shoot RAW)
Randy yes I always shoot raw, unless its an image I am just playing with & then I edit in on1

Is it best to crop in camera or in editing software. Or does it not make any difference, obviously it is easier to edit on a large screen, but does one have advantages over the other?
I'm not clear whether you are asking about shooting in crop mode or using the camera to crop the image afterwards. If shooting in crop mode, there is no downside other than possibly framing too tight and not leaving room for leveling or cropping to a different format in PP. The upside is saved card space in the field and saved drive space on your internal/external computer storage. When shooting a high rez body like D850/810 I shoot at least half the time in either 1.2x or 1.5x crop mode.

If you're asking about cropping an existing image in the camera prior to downloading it, the cropped version will be jpeg, not RAW, with all of the inherent issues/limitations discussed at length elsewhere that I won't bother repeating here. Thus cropping in PP software is a far better option.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom