Cross Country Action

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GeoffBolte, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Well I had the opportunity the last 2 days to shoot some cross country. First time this year, and I am pleased with how they came out. Had a tough course on Monday to work with but luckily the coaches were driving to certain spots and offered me a ride, although it was in the woods mostly and offered some decent ones. As for yesterday there was enough good spots in walking distance and it was on a lakeside so I had some fun with the backgrounds. Anyways here are some shots.

GCB_6748.jpg

GCB_6788.jpg

GCB_6862.jpg

GCB_6893.jpg

GCB_6939.jpg

GCB_7084.jpg

GCB_7100.jpg

GCB_7116.jpg

GCB_7227.jpg

GCB_7263.jpg

GCB_7295.jpg

2. Geoff,

I really enjoyed viewing this series. I like #1 and #6 in particular--mostly because of the interesting compositions and display of the environment. Many of the close up shots are excellent as well. Great work!

Glenn

3. nice work Geoff, especially w/ that pond as backdrop.

4. These are all excellent. I'm with Glenn and really liked #1 and #6 for the interesting composition. I will be doing my first XC in a couple of weeks and these will be my inspiration and have given me some great ideas.

5. For me the spirit of XC is hard to capture, but you have done it well by incorporating the woods and lake, nice job. Like the fill in the last image as well

6. Some of the best XC I have seen one of the more difficult to capture and you nailed it way to go

7. Thanks Glenn, truly appreciated.

Chris thats no pond its Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

otherwise known as Webster Lake.

Thanks Anthony, I have been searching for the non standard action stuff, as every one can do it. Some of it requires a little more of an eye for a decent composition.

Thanks Brooks, I was very happy to work with it all. As for the fill, not sure where it came from, was very cloudy and rainy, and I used no flash. So guess I just nailed the exposure on it to make it look a little flashed.

Mike thank you I feel I have been growing a lot in the last month thanks to all of the great work on here, as well as pushing myself to find new ways to shoot.

8. nice job, really good composition and a lot of variety.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent photography Geoff, your creativity is evident in this series of images.

10. Nice work. #6 is my favorite.

11. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thank you for posting these! No doubt, the best XC pics I've ever seen. I think #1 and #6 create a new genre for us. Let's call it "action landscapes." :biggrin:

No kidding, I'm shooting XC this fall, also and your pics give me ideas about an upcoming meet that will take the runners through mostly wooded areas.

Excellent!! Just WOW!

12. Thanks guys,, just trying to show something other than the normal action shots from cross country.