Crossbill snapshot

I have been landscaping in the backyard. I was grabbing a drink of water when I saw this Crossbill in the Garry Oak behind my house.

D2X 500/4 TC14EII 1/250s f/5.6 ISO 100 Matrix metering EV +0.33
crop to 18% of original.

BTW, this was converted using ACR and the ProPhoto RGB color space. In both adobe and sRGB the bill and feathers had blowouts that I could not recover in NC, but I did using ACR and ProPhoto.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice one, Rory! 18% - That D2X sure permits a heavy crop!

Rory, a couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you use 8 or 16 bits per channel when opening in ACR? Do you then convert to 8 bit SRBG for web posting and is there an easy way to do this?

Excellent. Good work Rory.

That prophoto can sure bail you out on some things for sure. you know who turned me on to that is Iliah :>))

Nikam said:
Nice one, Rory! 18% - That D2X sure permits a heavy crop!

Rory, a couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you use 8 or 16 bits per channel when opening in ACR? Do you then convert to 8 bit SRBG for web posting and is there an easy way to do this?

I presume you are asking if I opened the ACR conversion in photoshop in 16 bits. No, I did not. I would have if my intention was to print or significantly edit in photoshop, but in this case, all I wanted to do was make a file to upload to pbase. I opened the conversion as an 8 bit ProPhoto file, cropped, resized to 800 pixels and converted to sRGB in photoshop. I saved as jpg level 11, although 9 probably would have been sufficient.

If I had wanted to make more changes, such as saturation, curves, brightness in photoshop then I would have converted to 16 bits.

I rarely keep 16 bit photoshop or TIF files around as they used up so much memory. If I have a photo I have made significant photoshop changes and anticipate using again or I have sold said photo, then I will burn the photshop file, with any additional layers. Otherwise, I have the NEF file, so I can always go back and do it again.

Good catch Rory, and interesting processing info. I'll have to give ACR a look.

Thanks,

Hi Rory, nice shot--but its not a Crossbill, its a House Finch. The bill of the Crossbill is really crossed (and much larger), unlike this bird!

No matter, is a sweet shot!

jczinn said:
Hi Rory, nice shot--but its not a Crossbill, its a House Finch. The bill of the Crossbill is really crossed (and much larger), unlike this bird!

No matter, is a sweet shot!

Hi Janet

Funny you should say that. When I took the photo, and before I processed it, I named the folder house finch. However, when I looked at the photo it sure looked like the beak was crossing... must be an optical illusion. Anyway, many thanks for the correction!

Latest threads

Top Bottom