1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Crows challenge an Eagle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. I’ve seen lots of interaction between eagles and other birds and am always amazed at how many small birds will challenge the much larger eagle in the air and on the ground. But this past week, while spending the week at the ocean, I witnessed and shot the interaction of crows and eagles and I was amazed at how the crows worked collectively in a group to try and take a crab shell away from an eagle.

There were three crows and one eagle, the crows surrounded the eagle and the one at the rear of the eagle literally grabbed a hold of the eagle’s tail feathers causing the eagle to turn its head the others would quickly dart in and try grabbing the crab shell. This activity went on for a good five minutes before the crows left and the eagle went about its business of cleaning out the crab shell.

DSC_3352 72wf.
    NIKON D5    600.0 mm f/4.0    850mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    ISO 1250

DSC_3430 72wf.
    NIKON D5    600.0 mm f/4.0    850mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    ISO 1800

DSC_3431 72wf.
    NIKON D5    600.0 mm f/4.0    850mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    ISO 1800

DSC_3439 72wf.
    NIKON D5    600.0 mm f/4.0    850mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    ISO 1250

DSC_3442 72wf.
    NIKON D5    600.0 mm f/4.0    850mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    ISO 1400

Louie

2. Louie - Great pictures; thanks for posting. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them! We occasionally see crows chasing raptors in our area. Once they gang up, they can be pretty effective at harassing the larger birds.

3. Great series, Louis. Must have been interesting to watch. The crows are the hyenas of the avian world.

4. 3 against 1 will do it. I know my 3 grandkids can do a number on me.

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Outstanding series and story telling! Great images!

6. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Great series Louie! I’ve seen single crows harassing eagles, but never 3 tag teaming one. Jeff

7. KJM83

KJM83

May 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    Great set Louis, glad to see the Eagle hold his own against those pesky Crows.

8. Jeff’s comment about the crows tag teaming the eagle is a perfect description. Your capture is excellent Louis and I can tell you had fun watching this event.

9. Thanks very much John and from my observations the crows are constantly harassing eagles on the beach.

Thank you Mitchell, and I think you've put it correctly with the crows being hyenas and I would add very very smart ones.

Thanks Allan, and I've got one that pretty regularly does a number on me.

Always appreciate your comments Karen, thank you very much.

10. Great photo selection Louie, the pics themsel tells the story, great sharpness and lots of detail.

11. I'm thinking more Jackal than Hyena! What a fabulous series.

12. Great shots of a natural interaction between species. You have really captured the essence of the fight.

A biologist friend of mine once saw some crows harassing a bald eagle in flight dive bombing it as it flew along. The eagle had enough so as the crow came in it rolled over and grabbed the crow in its talons, rolled upright and tore the crow in two dropping the pieces to the ground below. The rest of the crows then left the eagle alone..

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" that is why u don't chase eagles.. Talons and beaks oh my! " -Georgie Beagle

13. Thanks Jeff.

Thank you for taking a look.

Thank you Gordon, and yes lots of fun just watching let alone getting some shots of the action.

Appreciate your comments Darrell, thanks.

Thank you very much Nick.

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    amazing shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.