CRT Blocked, Ugly Shadows

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by jfenton, Jun 25, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Don't quite understand the issue, as I calibrate every three weeks with a Gretag Macbeth device to a gamma of 2.2 and a luminance value of 100 (or close to it).

I'm getting really cruddy blocked shadows in deep shadow areas?

The monitor is only 6 months old and to be honest, I've had this in the past, even with the Sony Artisan I had previously.

Thoughts?

2. Is this something that has come on abruptly or are you saying that it has been like this from the start and profiling has failed to correct it?

3. Do you do easy mode calibration or go through the advanced calibration where they have you adjust the brightness and contrast etc? That is all I can think of.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim hook another monitor up and see if you are getting the same thing.
    Calibrate just with adobe gamma and see what happens.

Rule out the hardware end of it..

Calibrator or monitor

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Gale's given good advice, and I'll offer a variant of Pournelle's Rule - always check the cable connections. It's not at all unknown to push a pin back on the mount for the monitor at the computer or on the monitor, creating a poor connection. I've seen this several times, and very careful work with the adapter, possibly including quite gently pulling the bent/squashed/damaged pin forward with fine needlenose pliers can be needed.

Best of luck, amigo...

John P.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I forgot about the bent pin . I think I just looks at it without thinking. I would prob notice it.
    Tricky straightening pins. Don't slip...lol
    Been a while since I have been in the computer tech businesss.