1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cruising

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by JimCo, Oct 4, 2008.

1. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    I started to tag this onto this thread by Thaddeus in Lens Lust about what lenses to take along on a cruise but it got so long with pics that I decided that would be akin to a hijack.

I don't post a lot, especially with pictures because I can't hold a candle next to most of the Cafe. But I try, and I'm learning. It's funny how my family and friends all say how good a photog I am but I come here every day to eat humble pie..., and learn of course.

We took a Hawaiian cruise last June and I took along a good portion of everything I had (photographically), or at least all that I could stuff into the Think Tank Ultralight I bought for the trip. Some would say I took way too much (I'm sure Uncle Frank would say I HAVE way to much for my level of skill). But I did use it all except for the (2) SB800's and Sigma 150 macro. The real trick was guessing what to stuff in my Slingshot 200 when I left the cabin or hotel.

The 18-200 was the most versatile lens I had along and I used it the most.

Whether it was FROM the ship
    NOR_5874.

Or OF the ship (w/my son's friend in foreground). We were standing on a 10' x 20' floating platform here.
    NOR_3334.
    I think NC member KDann says he works for the cruise line. Kenny, are you part of this ships crew?

There were somber moments that I captured with the 18-200 like the USS Arizona Memorial...
    NOR_6484.

...that shows even on the face of a not quite 2 yr old
    NOR_6431.

NOR_6493.

Next most used lens was probably the 30 f1.4

My grandson Luke
    NOR_1995.

My wife and daughter acting up.
    NOR_2877.

the 3rd most used lens was the 10-20 (I love it on DX)

I didn't quite catch the light the way I wanted here.
    NOR_3285.

Waikiki at night @ 10mm
    NOR_6218.

I could NOT have gotten this next shot w/o the 85 1.8 along (wished it was 1.4). I have a whole series of this performance at the Polynesian Cultural Center taken with the D200 on monopod and 85, 50 1.8, and 30 1.4. All taken from my seat in the audience as we were not allowed to get up and move around. Flash was absolutely forbidden.
    NOR_8354.

And this snapshot of my grandson, daughter, and son-in-law was from 24 stories up taken with the 300 f4 and 1.4 TC
    NOR_6088.

But back to the 18-200.

Sometimes you want to catch the smile on the face of your 17 yr. old :smile:
    NOR_4489.

And the next moment pull back for a more true perspective...
    NOR_4505.

So what lens does it take to get a decent shot of this next attempt (that's rhetorical)? We were traveling at about 13-14 knots (I think) on seas that were a little rough. I tried most everything I could think of, tripod mounted and hand held. The best I could do was this one at 1.6 seconds, f/5.6, ISO 1250, 18-200 VR II on, 130 mm (12-200), perched on a monopod and me trying to sway with the swells. We were way out there but I couldn't judge the distance at night well. Probably about a mile or so. This was HUGE... and spectacular!
    NOR_3235.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Exciting vacation...Nice series.

3. Very nice pictures and you have a good eye for composition . The 18-200 is a very versatile lens when you don't need shallow dof , the 10-20 is one of my favourite lenses as well .

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Well Done!!

5. great shots man i like them all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.