Crumpler question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by barriosa, Apr 5, 2007.

1. What’s the thinnest Crumpler Bag that can hold a D200 with the battery grip attached?

2. Hi Fred, I know this doesn't answer your question, but hopefully will serve as a reference point. I know my D200 will fit in my 5-Mil $ home rotated 90 degrees, so would most likely fit a battery grip. I don't have a battery grip and wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your search.

3. Thanks for the info Jeff. Is it a pretty lightweight bag? They don't carry any Crumpler bags anywhere near me so I'm just trying to get as much info before I order it.

4. Hi Fred, it's not superlight but it's relatively light. Doesn't have too much unnecessary stuff like some of the feature-laden Lowepro shoulder bags. Sorry they don't carry it around you. Shopping for cameras is easy, it's shopping for bags that boggles me.

5. Jeff,
    I know what you mean; I'm gone through quite a few. Right now I'm just looking for a lightweight narrow "Streetwalker" bag that can hold the body with the grip and 2 lenses including one attached vertically. I had the National Geographic Med shoulder but it was too thin and kept popping open on me. I sold the NG and got a Lowepro 550 but it is too wide for street use; I keep knocking things (and people) over. My Tamrac 614 is just too huge for anything other than taking everything to and from a site; these days I just use it for storage. I had a Tamrac Velocity 7 sling but that was uncomfortable so I sold it. I looked at all the crumple bag reviews on www.cambags.com and didn’t see any images with the D200 and MB200 (or something similarly sized) attached. I also checked out that German site that someone posted a thread on a few days ago but didn’t see it there either. In haste I might have missed one so I’ll probably check again later.

My search continues.

6. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I ordered the Domke 804 should be here any day now I am hoping this will fit my needs

7. Mike, Post pics when you get it.

Looking at most of the bag reviews I see on-line I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only D200 owner who likes the battery grip!!

8. I use (and LOVE) the Crumpler 7Million for my D2Xs, 28-70, and 17-35, plus an SB800 and a few accessories. Could not be happier with a bag.

9. Hey Dave from what I read that that is a very nice bag. Just too big for what I was thinking.

10. The Domke "Satchel Bag" (I think that's the 804 referred to in another post) is great for carrying a D40, D80 or D200 body and a couple of lenses, spare battery or two and a couple extra CF cards. A couple weeks after I first got my D200 I was going on a trip to San Francisco, so used that bag with the D200, 18-200mm VR and 12-24mm lenses plus extra battery and extra CF cards and it worked great. I didn't have the MB200 grip on the camera then, though, and now that I'm thinking about it, since I've acquired that have not tried the whole thing, camera with grip, in that bag. I suspect that it might be a tight fit, though....

I DO know that my D2Xs does not fit in that bag, with or without a lens, so that is suggestive that the D200 with the MB200 battery compartment/grip attached probably would not either.

In Alabama I saw Dave's 7 Million Dollar Home (Crumpler) and that looked really nice -- held his gear quite comfortably! I am not sure, since it's apparently quite a bit smaller, if the 6 Million Dollar Home one would be as satisfactory....

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I have and use the Crumpler 7Million also. It has a great benefit of just looking like a messenger bag while it can hold a 70-200 VR standing upright. Although the bag is large, it does look quite flat.
    Mike

12. Connie,
    It sounds like the Domke 804 is too small for the D200 w/the MB200. I think the D200 with the grip is just a tiny bit taller than he D2Xs.

Mike,
    I was looking for something as an "outdoor light" shoulder bag. Something to hold the D200 w/MB200 and 2 lenses and that’s about it. Well maybe some extra batteries.

The problem is the only decent camera store in my area doesn't carry either Crumpler or Domke bags, and in just about all the images I’ve seen online, at cambags.com and that German site they, never have the MB200 mounted or show the bag with a similarly sided dSLR.

I'm going to go double check them just to be sure.

13. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Joshua,
    SOLD!! I think you just helped me pick out my next bag!!! Many Thanks!!
    Fred

Oh yea one more thing. I forgot about looking at that post a week or two ago. I just read so many great things about Crumpler that I'd thought I'd go that route but the Domke really does does look like the best bet for what I planned on using it for.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

LOL, that was quick! I picked mine up on sale in town a few weeks ago. it conforms very nicely to my body when it isnt full. I have found the perfect walkaround bag in it. It is very unassuming looking too...

16. Joshua,
    Well I have been searching the net for decent photos of Crumpler 5 and 6 million dollar home’s for three days now. This was after trying out the Kata 214 this week. It's a neat sling and the D200 with grip does just barely fit but the way the zipper was bulging it looked like it might burst at the seams at any moment. This was, I think, my 9th or 10th bag purchase over the past year or so I guess you can say I was starting to get a little frustrated.

I know no one bag can be ideal for every situation but I didn’t think it would be so hard to find a good outdoor-light bag.

17. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I have been searching, much like you have. Most camera bags have way more padding than I think is necessary. This makes them bulky, when they dont need to be. I feel that my thousands of dollars in equipment is very secure in my Domke. It is nice and padded on the bottom. It doesnt have excessive pouches and gimmicky hidey-ho velcro doo-dads. I believe that this bag is available in ballistic nylon, but I prefer the softer canvas...I am sure it will wear into a a very comfortable bag after some use. As you saw in the photos, it hold a good amount for a day jaunt.

18. Joshua,
    I'll probably order it later on this week, after B&H or Adorama returns from Easter brake. The National Geographic bag I had would have been perfect if it was only an or two wider. I don't know if you have seen it but it was made of hemp instead of canvas and was also a pretty simple bag. I tried it with the camera and BG but the locks kept popping open and that really bugged me, and of course the fact that it was too thin.

[​IMG]

19. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

When I was in the market to buy a holdter, I couldnt find the right size that would take my d200 and grip...until I saw these. If you're ever looking for a holster style for just your cam, look at these.

20. Never been lucky with holster styles but those like nice. The Urban Disguise bags also look interesting. I just wish they showed the inside of the bag.