1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #101 - Back to school

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Kristin, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fittingly, the topic for "Collective Shoot 101" will be "Back to School." Your homework, due by next Friday, is to take pictures, and write a 3-5 page paper, double spaced, about what you've learned. :wink:

Topic: "Back to School." Go visit a university, or a day-care, or the elementary school (as long as you don't skulk around in a trench coat with a suspicious air). The topic could also spread to anything to do with going back to school - a full backpack, homework, a bus stop, a field trip, a one-room schoolhouse, an apple on a desk (or a fruit basket, if you want to attempt to bribe the teacher), etc.

Time frame: from about this Saturday, September 13th, until next Friday, September 19th. Please use this as a reason to go out and shoot rather than posting an older picture. The time frame is flexible, but doesn't include last year. It could, however, include pictures taken as far back as the end of August if you have a great "First Day of School" picture, or something of the sort. But you should also go out again and take more pictures!!

Other guidelines:
    - Please keep those with a slow modem in mind as you upload photos. If you'd like, it might be helpful to post a medium-size photo, but link it to a larger file.
    - Let's try to keep below about ~1/2 a dozen pictures in a single post. But post as often as you'd like!
    - Please include your setup and exif settings so that we may all learn from each other's collective wisdom.

Now, go back to school and take some pictures!

Kristin

2. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Well laid out ground rules. I shall be posting submissions soon.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    The beat goes on

The sources, faces, tools, methodology, and directions may change, but school never ends. [complete EXIF embedded]

[​IMG]

4. Soccer starts at 3

OK, so my wife and I find out that our son can start soccer at the ripe old age of 3 and that it started this weekend (9/13). Always looking for an excuse to tire the little man out, we dove on the opportunity and I grabbed my Nikon. While it's not really "going back to school", it is about kids starting something new at the same time that school starts; I guess you could say it's "soccer school".

These were taken with the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR. Do to the early start (9am), the cloud cover, and the not-so-fast (4.5-5.6) nature of the lens, I bumped the ISO to 800 for the most part, "A" mode at 5.6 and let the camera pick the shutter.... which I knew would be fast enough to stop the action.

Didn't like the color of the grass once I brought them up on the screen (too lime) so I messed with the Nik Color Efex Pro filters (in NX2) to get a different look. With software today, you can create so many "looks"... infinite really.... and I'm not sure this is the best one by any means, but I thought I'd share it. In the end, it's all about a bunch of kids playing soccer for the first time and that's a hoot!

The "you can use your head" drill....
    original.

View attachment 252544

View attachment 252545

View attachment 252546

View attachment 252547

View attachment 252548

View attachment 252549

Regards,
    Peter G.

5. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Bob,

We had similar ideas... I just simplified this one... a closer look at the tools of the trade, if you will.

(Shot with Nikon D300, with Tamron 90mm Macro @ f9, 1/60th of a second, @ ISO 400 for a slightly grainier look. Only post production is slight cropping)

_D320938NikonCafe.

Thanks for looking:) 

6. Bob, great representation of school! It inspired me to take some shots of my desk, too. (they're still on my camera - I'll upload them in a bit).

Peter, I like your interpretation of the theme. "Soccer school" can definitely count, plus these are cute kids! I like the first one, and the two shots of the individuals kicking the ball (#s 3 and 4) especially. Good job catching their expressions!

Keith, I really like this macro. It looks perfectly executed. I like the slightly grainy feeling, too.

These are great pictures so far! I'm even more excited about this theme, and the chance to host a CS, than I was in the beginning. :biggrin:

Kristin

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Keith, I like that -- you've summed it up it one stroke:wink: [Besides that, it's an excellent photo.]

8. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    As per the rules of this CS, you can post one from the first day of school from this year if you havent gotten a chance to get out yet. Well here is my mulligan....

Girls first day of school 08.
    Just kinda played with this in NX and PS. Not excited about the end result but will get it there

_DSC3236copy3.

9. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    "The girls" are getting so tall... nice photo:)  I may have used a slightly smaller vignette, so as to not darken the subjects right arm. However, as you know, you are the "Artist" and I am the "Purist" :) :) 

Now get out there and shoot something else!

Keith:) 

10. Tim, cute girls! I was hoping that some would post a "first day of school" photo. Thanks for contributing, and I look forward to anymore you have!

Mark, great photo!! It looks really crisp and sharp, and the timing is perfect. I can't believe I didn't even thought of football for this theme, even though college football is so much fun. Thanks for thinking of it, and sharing!

Kristin

11. Here is my first shot at capturing "Back to School." I took it yesterday after getting inspired by the other desk photos. I focused on the "f=ma", and I see that a lot in front is in focus, but none behind. (I'm still learning the 50 1.8)

[​IMG]

I'll bring my camera to school either tues or wed and try to get some shots on campus, too.

Kristin

12. I'll post my own by the end of the week, but a parent took this photo for me. It's for our Back to School auction. I played with some PP.

p1006884604-4.

13. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Indeed. Everything is so sharp, leave it to you to get right to the "point":rolleyes: 

14. Randy, I really like this picture! The parent did a great job capturing the moment. I like the composition, too.

Here are a few I took today on campus (exif embedded). The skies were really gray - maybe I'll try again later in the week if the skies are nicer.

The first two are the same picture, with different effects. I wasn't sure which I liked better, so I'm posting both to let you guys decide. (I'm barely learning post processing, and these are only with iPhoto)

upped temperature, and lowered saturation:
    [​IMG]

only the sepia effect:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my preferred parking lot. Actually, the school needs a lot more of these - there aren't enough racks for all the bikes.
    [​IMG]

Kristin

15. No matter where you live in Alberta "bussing" is now the way most students get to school. Shrinking budgets, changing student numbers, and new neighbourhoods have made the big yellow bus a fixture here. Gone are the days of walking to school for the city kids. :frown:
    The country kids always rode the bus. Highways are marked with signs reminding travelers of an upcoming stop even out on the lonely bald prairie.

f 5.6 ISO 200 1/500 29mm
    [​IMG]

f 5.6 ISO 200 1/1000 50mm
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Barb

16. Hey cool pic even though you didnt take it. Finally get to see Mr. Postadan at work...lol...

17. Thanks for the pictures, Barb! I particularly like the second one.
    I remember being able to walk to school in junior high - it was nice. I also remember walking to the bus stop in the morning, seeing the early sky. I think that was what kindled my desire to photograph.

18. I also love the second one, Barb. Great perspective on a long and winding road.

19. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    An empty staircase after class this evening.
    2868533161_904b3523ba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.