CS #148 - Take the lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Thanks for the good words Herschel and Bob, it really was not that well thought out. Herschel's grasshopper is quite definitive on the topic and thought I could not do anything as good. In the end, my urge to "paint what I see" and splatter it about the aether won out :biggrin:

Eric's is super and Lyndee just blew me away...like a book cover!

Wow youz guys (and gals)!

Walk the path to where.....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the original shot, you can see pretty much the whole scene surrounding the head itself. I wanted the emphasis to be on the head, though, so I did a bit of cropping and PP'ing and such.

Is this what you were referring to?

After:
Lyndee,

Like Ed said, Wowzers!! That really does look like the cover for something. When I first drafted the theme for this week, direct eye contact wasn't foremost on the list. Turns out, Lyndee, your final cut utilizes one of the most direct techniques in immediately gaining your viewers' attention. Direct eye to eye contact is a very basic, yet strong, manner of communication, a way of immediately connecting two psyches. I just think that the tweaking you did to the head helps to really 'pop' it out and away from the rest of the scene. On a secondary note, I like the diagonal interaction that follows with the head, the squatty statue further right, and finally the brown panted feller throwing its' arm skyward. One might think, from the angle of the shot, that the two BG statues are at a loss because Eros' head came close to landing in the brink in the FG. (Or one might also think that Herschel can read too much into a scene. :biggrin:)

Good job. What else do you have??

Walk the path to where.....

Jim,

:smile: Really glad to see you join us this week. (Been missing your contributions lately.) I really like the repeating arcs, lines, and lights going down this walk. Very inviting and makes me want to see just where it does lead. I wonder how you feel about flipping the image horizontally? So that it leads more from left to right?

Eric,
What else do you have 'cause now I'm hungry for more. :biggrin:
Well, how about same window, different angle?

The other side of the Control Center. This one should lead your eye backwards, from right to left.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I see everyone has bought their best shots to the table this week - the images are awesome - great job, everyone! :smile:

Ed - your cat?? Wow!!! The first shot was a very nice one, but the cropped photo is AMAZING!!

And thanks, Herschel and Ed, for your comments - they are very much appreciated. The new CityGarden is a wonderful place, and Herschel? I love how you read into the scene - good imagination you have there! Pinocchio (that's the brown painted dude) looks like he's throwing up his hands saying, "Save Me...!!", while the metal painted sculpture is trying to duck outta the way!! :biggrin:

I plan to take some more shots this week - stay tuned...!!! In the meantime, thanks for hosting this week's Challenge - you do a fabulous job of analyzing and providing comments!

Ok, quick contribution. Not sure if I'm quite following the rules or not... :redface:

I was testing out a new-to-me lens (35/1.4 AiS) and wanted to see if I could nail the focus on Em's eyes. I felt the color version had too much distraction....and while she has lovely blue eyes (and the BW conversion removes that beautiful color), I felt the BW pulled you to her eye more quickly.

Shot at f/2

Original:

Final:
View attachment 391335

All comments/critiques/suggestions are welcomed! :smile:

Ok, quick contribution. Not sure if I'm quite following the rules or not... :redface:

I was testing out a new-to-me lens (35/1.4 AiS) and wanted to see if I could nail the focus on Em's eyes. I felt the color version had too much distraction....and while she has lovely blue eyes (and the BW conversion removes that beautiful color), I felt the BW pulled you to her eye more quickly.

Shot at f/2

All comments/critiques/suggestions are welcomed! :smile:
Gretchen,

I agree that the B&W works well, but your words and the image both point to Em’s eyes. However, the overall image contains a lot more “stuff”, with much of it being out of focus because of the narrow DOF (only a few inches at the apparent range and f/2). In my opinion, the B&W just tends to make the extraneous material less obvious, and I think an even better image can result from tighter cropping of the color image. There is nothing sacred about ROT, but, since it has been mentioned here, I tried several different crops based on ROT variations. These included both vertical and horizontal 3x2 orientations. Other aspect ratios might work well too. The result, from my perspective, is that a tighter crop gets rid of much of the distracting material (her feet and the background grass) and makes it impossible for the viewer to avoid her eyes and smile. :wink:

Jim,

:smile: Really glad to see you join us this week. (Been missing your contributions lately.) I really like the repeating arcs, lines, and lights going down this walk. Very inviting and makes me want to see just where it does lead. I wonder how you feel about flipping the image horizontally? So that it leads more from left to right?
Thanks man glad to be back around more. Ill be doing alot more car photography in the near future. I just happened to see this one and snapped the pic lliking the shot, nad it just fit great, and im all up for flipping it if you want.

Well, how about same window, different angle?
Eric,

My first thought was - "How cool would it be to stitch the left and right views of the window together as an angular pano?" (Of course, following along with some of my quirky ideas is not part of the required shoot. :wink:) My second thought with the left side view was "You sure do have some funny looking flora growing 'round your parts - they each seem to produce just one solid white, circular bloom." :tongue: Seriously, I like it just as much as the right side view of that reflection, perhaps even a bit better. I like the position of the FG array, inspecting the trailing line-up of the others in the distance.

The other side of the Control Center. This one should lead your eye backwards, from right to left.
Nicely done, and perhaps it is obvious, but I'll go ahead and mention this anyways about this one: This is the type of image in which flipping the image horizontally will only work if one copies and pastes the plaque back in at some point - otherwise it will simply read backwards. (I know - Duhh!!)

I see everyone has bought their best shots to the table this week - the images are awesome - great job, everyone! :smile:

Ed - your cat?? Wow!!! The first shot was a very nice one, but the cropped photo is AMAZING!!

And thanks, Herschel and Ed, for your comments - they are very much appreciated. The new CityGarden is a wonderful place, and Herschel? I love how you read into the scene - good imagination you have there! Pinocchio (that's the brown painted dude) looks like he's throwing up his hands saying, "Save Me...!!", while the metal painted sculpture is trying to duck outta the way!! :biggrin:

I plan to take some more shots this week - stay tuned...!!! In the meantime, thanks for hosting this week's Challenge - you do a fabulous job of analyzing and providing comments!
Lyndee,

Thanks, and Your Welcome. "I jes call um as I sees um." :tongue: Looking forward to what else you have. And speaking of ducks, they're comin...:wink:

I was testing out a new-to-me lens (35/1.4 AiS) and wanted to see if I could nail the focus on Em's eyes. I felt the color version had too much distraction....and while she has lovely blue eyes (and the BW conversion removes that beautiful color), I felt the BW pulled you to her eye more quickly. :smile:
Gretchen,

:smile: First, I'm happy to see you being able to contribute this week! And you've also utilized the direct eye contact to lead the viewer into this shot. But what are we going to do about stopping the viewer in their tracks? ((Now, you noticed what I highlighted above, right?)) IMHO, this is a combination of expression and pose that is just right for adding some selective color to the B&W version. I can see in my mind how this shot would really 'pop', and at the same time lead and keep the viewer's attention. What do you think? Could you let us see how the B&W with Em's blue eyes shining thru would appear?

(Okay - Pretty Please with sugar on top?? :tongue:)

Bob,

Here's a tighter crop, which I initially considered. However, I'm bothered more by the OOF hands in this version. I feel that by essentially "gaining in real estate," they've also gained in importance and 'fight' with Em' face. Your thoughts? Usually, I'm one to say "get in a lot tighter!" on a shot.....but this one, I struggled with that. Would be interested to hear your view! :smile:

Gretchen,

:smile: First, I'm happy to see you being able to contribute this week! And you've also utilized the direct eye contact to lead the viewer into this shot. But what are we going to do about stopping the viewer in their tracks? ((Now, you noticed what I highlighted above, right?)) IMHO, this is a combination of expression and pose that is just right for adding some selective color to the B&W version. I can see in my mind how this shot would really 'pop', and at the same time lead and keep the viewer's attention. What do you think? Could you let us see how the B&W with Em's blue eyes shining thru would appear?

(Okay - Pretty Please with sugar on top?? :tongue:)
Herschel,

Unfortunately, I did this conversion in LR2. I can see no way to do a selective color .... I just tried playing with sliders and no such luck. Perhaps someone else knows how? I know how to do it in CS3, but LR2 doesn't offer layers and the adjustment brush won't allow me to brush back in any color. :confused:

Sorry, folks, but I am totally lost on this one. I don't know what to shoot. I don't understand what y'all are doing.
Alan,

No sir, I am the one to apologize: I have been feeling that I didn't explain this week's theme quite as well as I could have. So here goes:

We are taking a look at different psychological techniques that can be used in order to LEAD the viewer thru an image. The techniques range widely, but I'll go over a few. One of the first things we learn about PPg is using the Rule Of Thirds (ROTs) and the crop tool so as to place the subject we want the viewer to pay the most attention to along one of those tic-tac-toe lines, or for real emphasis, at the intersection of 2 of those lines. Then there is trying to get the subject really sharply focused, while leaving the BG blurry, trying to achieve a beautiful bokeh. Yet another technique might be to selectively darken or lighten certain areas of an image so as to aid in a particular emphasis - think about that shot re-work/comparison I did of the path down in the woods a few weeks ago for Lyndees' "Peaceful Places" CS. There is a wide range of these tools available, when shooting and when PPg, that can be used to lead the viewer around an image, or simply take ahold of them and make them really stop in their tracks.

So far, a few have chosen to use lines - both those which are readily seen and those that are generally implied simply by the elements of a picture. (See Eric's shots of the dish arrays.) Others like Ed, Lyndee, and Gretchen have showed us some really good examples of using direct eye contact. This is a very powerful technique in which to immediately create an interaction with the viewer. - Remember the saying: "The eyes are the windows of the soul." ??

To help everyone along with this, I have been reading this week, and borrowing some excerpts from Dr. John Suler's "Photographic Psychology: Image And Psyche", and here is a link, in case you want to read more: http://users.rider.edu/~suler/photopsy/introduction.htm

In a sense, for this week, we are stepping away from any one idea for a picture. The challenge for this week is to look deeper into the ways we can engage a viewer to stay for awhile and enjoy. The learning for this week is what techniques we can use, and more importantly - to understand just why they work, because from that, my hope is for all of us to become better armed photographers - just by gaining a better understanding of some of these techniques.

It's a lot like dancing, and this goes back to what I was saying about Balance - one leads, the other follows, but there has to be Balance to the image, otherwise I might as well be dragging the viewer across the floor. And that's what this week is really about - how do we lead our viewer around the dance floor of the shots we take? :smile:

BTW - Can't wait to see what you come up with. :wink:

Herschel,

Unfortunately, I did this conversion in LR2. I can see no way to do a selective color .... I just tried playing with sliders and no such luck. Perhaps someone else knows how? I know how to do it in CS3, but LR2 doesn't offer layers and the adjustment brush won't allow me to brush back in any color. :confused:
Gretchen,

Oh, okay, I don't know LR2 or CS3, so how about a simpler approach: From a copy of the color shot, how about cropping each eye and pasting it onto the B&W? Off hand I'm thinking that, obviously, a circular crop selection for each eye. ((I don't think we want to "carry-over" the color from the bridge of her nose into the B&W version.)) In the meantime, perhaps someone with more knowledge of LR2 and/or CS3 can offer some assistance. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Here's a tighter crop, which I initially considered. However, I'm bothered more by the OOF hands in this version. I feel that by essentially "gaining in real estate," they've also gained in importance and 'fight' with Em' face. Your thoughts? Usually, I'm one to say "get in a lot tighter!" on a shot.....but this one, I struggled with that. Would be interested to hear your view! :smile:
Gretchen, I too was bothered by the prominence of the hands in one of the versions that I tried. [I even did a landscape version with the bottom cropped just below her chin. I think my favorite was a portrait version showing from her shoulders up.] However, if you work with the color image, those eyes really begin to dominate the image as you crop down. I only looked 3x2 crops – might be that another aspect ratio would work even better for this image.

Herschel,

Gretchen, selective colour can be done quite easily in LR!!
Set all the saturation sliders in the HSL panel to -100, then with the Adjustment Brush (with saturation) just brush back in what you want coloured.....:smile::smile::biggrin::wink:

Gretchen, selective colour can be done quite easily in LR!!
Set all the saturation sliders in the HSL panel to -100, then with the Adjustment Brush (with saturation) just brush back in what you want coloured.....:smile::smile::biggrin::wink:
Geoff,

Thank You for the speedy response. The ease of your description makes me wonder if I should add LR to the arsenal. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom