CS #17 - "Photos & Comments"

Status
Not open for further replies.
two other ones , from the lake

lacvzq0.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lacvb4.jpg

Fall colors at the Japanese Garden

Thanks to Dianne for convincing me to participate in my first collective. These were taken this past Mon.

large.gif

I posted a few more on this thread
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=91778

Last edited by a moderator:
Wahhhooo! I was hoping you would post that one, Peter! That garden is literally on fire with all that glorious Fall color! Hey, we hope to see ya in more collective shoots!!!!!!! Well done and THANKS!

Oh ya'll, I'm excited because I saw Peter's photos in landscaping and thought he should submitt something here, this is his first time to do so!

Wahhhooo! I was hoping you would post that one, Peter! That garden is literally on fire with all that glorious Fall color! Hey, we hope to see ya in more collective shoots!!!!!!! Well done and THANKS!

Oh ya'll, I'm excited because I saw Peter's photos in landscaping and thought he should submitt something here, this is his first time to do so!

Thanks for getting me off my rear-end to participate in this cool collective.

T

The Mack

Shot Monday afternoon. Was shot handheld, so wasn't able to go as low w/ the shutter as I had wanted.
A little info,

Sliding Rock, in Brevard NC. Pisgah National Forest.
People slide down this from rock in the spring/summer when it's not cold. The water was pretty damn cold today. The pool at the bottom is about 8' deep in the middle, and anywhere from 1-5 on the outside parts.

271979691_a3e5b7fbf4_b.png

Reeeeally late to the party here! Earlier in the week I was busy with no time to shoot and then I was rained out the day I had planned to take the camera and get some signs of Autumn. Thankfully, today was beautiful and I captured a few signs of Fall:

103675015-L.jpg

103674989-L.jpg

103675039-L.jpg

Reeeeally late to the party here! Earlier in the week I was busy with no time to shoot and then I was rained out the day I had planned to take the camera and get some signs of Autumn. Thankfully, today was beautiful and I captured a few signs of Fall:

103675015-L.jpg

103674989-L.jpg

103675039-L.jpg

Connie,
These are very beautiful. I love the colors.

Thank you, Terri! A couple years ago, a few months after I bought my D70, I realized that I wanted to get up close and personal with certain subjects, so went out and bought a 105mm micro and began discovering the joys of macro. Next I got the 60mm macro, which is another of my favorite lenses. Then this spring, of course I just HAD to get the105mm VR micro...! I saw photos on here that had been taken with the 200mm micro, and decided to add one of those to my camera bag. One day, reading the "For Sale" forum I saw that Ditto had a Lester Dine macro for sale, so of course snapped that right up, as I had seen some remarkable work done with one of those unique lenses. On and off, I'd seen comments praising the 70-180 lens, but missed a couple of opportunities to get one, both locally and online. Then I was in a camera shop getting something else and idly asked if they had a 70-180 (since that lens has been discontinued, I expected them to either say "no" or to pull out a used copy). I was floored when the sales associate handed me a brand-new one in the box! Needless to say I bought that one immediately.

The 70-180 is a real little gem and I love it for its versatility as well as its sharpness. I join the chorus of those who have praised this lens and am really tickled to have it. Actually, there is one for sale right now on the For Sale forum, unless a sale has been completed now.

So, yes, I have a few macro lenses and each has its unique place in my camera bag and in my heart. For someone starting out I would definitely recommend the 105mm VR or the reasonably-priced 60mm micro. If you can get your hands on a 70-180mm in great condition that would be an excellent way to investigate the world of macro, too.

Oh -- editing to add something here: I just realized that I should state that the photo in the middle, the pumpkins and mums, was taken with the 35-70mm lens, not the 70-180mm. I just recently got the 35-70 and took it out for its maiden shoot yesterday, too. It also has a macro capability at the 35mm end. It's not strictly a dedicated macro lens, though.

Well, I just wanted to say Thanks to all of ya'll that participated and then thanks to the ones I managed to drag into it too! Every photo was pure inspiration and a joy to look at! I hope who ever hosts the next collective shoot will enjoy it as much as I did this one! ya'll keep on shootin' and postin!' Thanks for the fun! :biggrin:

Thank you, Terri! A couple years ago, a few months after I bought my D70, I realized that I wanted to get up close and personal with certain subjects, so went out and bought a 105mm micro and began discovering the joys of macro. Next I got the 60mm macro, which is another of my favorite lenses. Then this spring, of course I just HAD to get the105mm VR micro...! I saw photos on here that had been taken with the 200mm micro, and decided to add one of those to my camera bag. One day, reading the "For Sale" forum I saw that Ditto had a Lester Dine macro for sale, so of course snapped that right up, as I had seen some remarkable work done with one of those unique lenses. On and off, I'd seen comments praising the 70-180 lens, but missed a couple of opportunities to get one, both locally and online. Then I was in a camera shop getting something else and idly asked if they had a 70-180 (since that lens has been discontinued, I expected them to either say "no" or to pull out a used copy). I was floored when the sales associate handed me a brand-new one in the box! Needless to say I bought that one immediately.

The 70-180 is a real little gem and I love it for its versatility as well as its sharpness. I join the chorus of those who have praised this lens and am really tickled to have it. Actually, there is one for sale right now on the For Sale forum, unless a sale has been completed now.

So, yes, I have a few macro lenses and each has its unique place in my camera bag and in my heart. For someone starting out I would definitely recommend the 105mm VR or the reasonably-priced 60mm micro. If you can get your hands on a 70-180mm in great condition that would be an excellent way to investigate the world of macro, too.

Oh -- editing to add something here: I just realized that I should state that the photo in the middle, the pumpkins and mums, was taken with the 35-70mm lens, not the 70-180mm. I just recently got the 35-70 and took it out for its maiden shoot yesterday, too. It also has a macro capability at the 35mm end. It's not strictly a dedicated macro lens, though.

Well, Connie. You have experience with them all, it looks like. When I get ready to buy ONE, I'll have you make a recommendation. Must be fun to be able to buy so much equipment. On my budget, I have to be very selective about what I get. I'm not complaining, though. I've been able to get some nice things that suit me well.

Thanks for sharing your macro lens story with me.

In case anyone gets the wrong impression, I'm not wealthy....this past year, though, thanks to an inheritance, I have had a bit more financial freedom and chose to put money into camera gear and lenses. To my way of thinking, a good lens is an excellent investment because one can enjoy and use it but then if there is an unexpected financial crunch, which we all know does happen, there is the possibility of selling a lens or two in order to recoup some cash.

If right now I were looking at where to start with macro and didn't want to plunk out a bunch of money, I would go with the 60mm micro. It is one of my favorites. I pull that lens out when I want to do a tabletop shoot. I pull that lens out when I want to go out and sit in the middle of a flower bed and really get upclose and personal with the flowers and their innards. I pull that lens out when I want to shoot something up close, but not necessarily to the extent of actual macro..... It is a reasonably-priced lens and one which is excellent for an introduction to the world of macro. I've used that lens more than my 105mm or the 105mm VR, actually..... However, when there are bees or other insects flying around a flowerbed then I want to reach for something longer!

Connie,
Thanks for this great information. It's nice to have someone with experience with a wide range of lenses share their experience here.

Now as far as being wealthy goes, I think that this is one place where it doesn't really matter. It's nice you were able to get your gear, although I bet you would rather still have your loved one here.:frown:

I'll be sure and look at both the 60 mm micro and the 105 vr when I get ready to get a macro lens.

Now, if I could just get a bonus or something at work so I could get me a new computer and a good tripod.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom