CS #181 - Known & Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
Great captures Peter. If it was easy it wouldn't be much of a challenge would it? :eek:
I can't imagine still working 12 hour days at Nadia's age. She must love her work. I really like the complimentary mustard yellow behind Matti. It is a nice contrast to his brown jacket. Great separation of your subject from the background.
The young man from Cologne has a nice smile and isn't self conscious about his braces. Good for him!

So i went up to northern wisconsin on sunday with my wife to visit some friends...we decided to go take a walk at Schmeeckle Reserve where i captured some photos of the local "wildlife"...none off these photos have been touched up yet so I am sorry if they seem a bit rough...still learning after all :m39:

I saw this couple walking down the path so I asked them if they would mind if I took their photo, they gave me a funny look and said yes if i really wanted too...I assured them im not as creepy as I look and it was for a project lol....

This next couple enjoying the view of the lake and just thought it made such a lovely photo..

before I could talk to them though the left :(

this last photo is of my good friend Ben...

Micah -

Looks like it was a lovely and cool Spring day.

My version of the Marion couple. We didn't get any names. But the gentleman was as sunny in spirit as the state of California - where he is from originally. (Shot from about 5' above and behind Dad for a different perspective. :wink:)

Herschel -

*excellent* perspective there.

And, Bob - it's good to know that I'm not the only person a bit befuddled after holding a point and shoot up to my eye and then thinking "what???" - :smile:

In our search for strangers who would be in a relaxed state of mind, we met Woody and Connie. They were trying the fishing at Rising Park in Lancaster, and generally enjoying the great weather. Turns out that they own Wild Woodys' Outdoor Resources in Buckeye Lake, which is about 15 minutes from my house. I captured this shot of Woody unhooking a Blue Gill caught by Connie from across the water.

Although I'm not a hunter, I do understand the benefits of wearing a bit of bright orange when one is out "stalking wildlife" - :biggrin:

These guys (left to right…Alison, Carlos and Manu) are public safety officers who work for “The Downtown Alliance”. The Downtown Alliance works hand-in-hand with the New York City Police Department to ensure that Lower Manhattan remains one of the safest neighborhoods in New York City. The public safety officers are on duty 24 hours a day, everyday! :biggrin:

Those are some stylin unis!

Another take on Officer Yarborough. It occured to me that, while I didn't capture the new cruiser, I did (subconciously) take advantage of the vertical building/shadow lines behind him. Last year we did a CS in which we discussed various pyschological ways in which we hold the viewers' attention. One of these is that our brains are wired to take more notice to the vertical aspects of a given image. Officer Yarborough struck me as a terrific person, having already served for 18 years. But the vertical lines behind him just serve to emphasize the need to pay attention to him. :wink::smile: [I very gently brushed some extra exposure to the left side of his face so as to reduce the harsh shadowing.]

Yep -

we're talkin' Starsky. Or maybe Hutch? Don't really recall, but certainly a "man at work" shot - :smile:

:smile: Ah ta-ta-ta...

Well, I seem to have made the quota of 3 unknowns. That means that the rest of the week should be smooth sailin' with people I do know, and am therefore more comfortable shooting. ((Nanny-nanny-whoo-whoo :tongue:)) :biggrin:

So I'll go with a shot of my favorite photographer. Y'all know him... Y'all love him... But you've never really had a chance to see him working at the type of photography that he really enjoys. :wink:

In 30-some years of visiting and climbing Mt. Pleasant in Lancaster, I had no idea that he had never been to the top. But that all changed on Saturday while Dad and I were out looking for strangers to photograph. The weather was perfect for hiking and he was game for a trip to the top. On the way down, something caught his eye that was important enough to scale/scramble back up the steep terrain. I stayed below to catch the full force of any impending landslides, and of course, take this shot from the angle of a lifetime.

Herschel -

It is *great* to have a shot of the master (I definitely agree with Patti) at work.

Why am I reminded of Sir David Attenborough in Life on Earth?

I am surprised, though, that the lens on the cam doesn't appear to be the 300 f/4 - :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Champ.

I met a “Champ” today while taking a picture of the “Sleeping Beauty” that I posted earlier. He approached me and asked if I could take a picture of him with his own camera. “Of course,” I said. He handed his camera to me… it was a one of those old plastic body film cameras…it was all taped up! I took a picture with his camera and asked if I could take a picture of him with my camera. He didn’t mind! After I took a photo of him, Champ pulled out a mini photo album from a black briefcase that he had with him and showed me photos of him being young, wearing boxing gloves. There were also photos of him next to some boxing legends… guys like Sugar Ray and Mike Tyson! Turns out Michael Dominguez or “Champ,” won the 1981 New York Golden Gloves 132lb Open Championship! He was a really cool guy to meet and to talk to! :cool:

2im6f6r.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Three strangers, huh? Not an easy challenge but an interesting one.

Here is Matti, a local gentleman, whom I met in the Old Rauma UNESCO World Heritage site while on a stroll looking for some architecture to shoot.

Here is Nadia, who is selling clothes at a flea market. She is 77 but says she's still working 12 hours a day.

And finally this young gentleman is Jonas, from Cologne, Germany, whom I met on the street.

Peter -

Great to see you "over here". I agree with you that taking pictures of strangers is not an easy assignment - certainly not for me. Yet, this has been a fantastic Collective Shoot theme I think.

Matti and Nadia look to be both intelligent and vigorous. Jonas appears to be enthused!

Kiitos,

Eric

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
I met a “Champ” today while taking a picture of the “Sleeping Beauty” that I posted earlier. He approached me and asked if I could take a picture of him with his own camera. “Of course,” I said. He handed his camera to me… it was a one of those old plastic body film cameras…it was all taped up! I took a picture with his camera and asked if I could take a picture of him with my camera. He didn’t mind! After I took a photo of him, Champ pulled out a mini photo album from a black briefcase that he had with him and showed me photos of him being young, wearing boxing gloves. There were also photos of him next to some boxing legends… guys like Sugar Ray and Mike Tyson! Turns out Michael Dominguez or “Champ,” won the 1981 New York Golden Gloves 132lb Open Championship! He was a really cool guy to meet and to talk to! :cool:

2im6f6r.jpg

What did I tell you?! You meet the most interesting people when you ask a stranger to pose for you. What a great back story to this one Tolik.

Cool shot! Photographer on a mission! Nothing can stop him how! :tongue:

:tongue: Thanks Tolik!! Mission Impossible? Not with Dad. :tongue::biggrin:

Meet, stranger! No idea who that guy is...I saw him snoozing away on a bench and couldn’t pass an opportunity! :cool::biggrin:

Tolik,

:smile: Both of those shots are wonderful!! Love the pose you got with the champ! Got a great laugh out of reading the backstory. Sounds like you've had some prosperous adventures. :tongue:

Three strangers, huh? Not an easy challenge but an interesting one.

Here is Matti, a local gentleman, whom I met in the Old Rauma UNESCO World Heritage site while on a stroll looking for some architecture to shoot.

Here is Nadia, who is selling clothes at a flea market. She is 77 but says she's still working 12 hours a day.

And finally this young gentleman is Jonas, from Cologne, Germany, whom I met on the street.

Peter,

:smile: I'm with Eric - Great to have you here when your schedule allows!! And you brought us some terrific shots also!! I couldn't pick a favorite from these, but I love that you captured the twinkle in Nadia's eyes. :wink::tongue:

Herschel -

*excellent* perspective there.

And, Bob - it's good to know that I'm not the only person a bit befuddled after holding a point and shoot up to my eye and then thinking "what???" - :smile:

Although I'm not a hunter, I do understand the benefits of wearing a bit of bright orange when one is out "stalking wildlife" - :biggrin:

Yep -

we're talkin' Starsky. Or maybe Hutch? Don't really recall, but certainly a "man at work" shot - :smile:

Herschel -

It is *great* to have a shot of the master (I definitely agree with Patti) at work.

Why am I reminded of Sir David Attenborough in Life on Earth?

I am surprised, though, that the lens on the cam doesn't appear to be the 300 f/4 - :smile:

Eric,

:tongue: Thank you for the comments!! Dad and I had a lot of fun "huntin' strangers".

As far as him not having the 300mm that day: He's become too darn dangerous with that lens to let him take it out in public. :tongue::biggrin:

Unknown

I snuck these candids in during my nature photo shoot. I was surprised to see so many Nikon users. When I first joined up, everyone was toting Canon.

Sorry I have been absent. Among other busy stuff, I have a serious case of MOD - Molly Owl Disorder:biggrin::biggrin:

From The Dark Side

4539338469_a052fc7327_b.png

A Friendly some motion blur in these.....

4539971888_5510c6084a_b.png

What You Think?

View attachment 646602

Patti, I have to admit that I had misgivings when I first read the statement of your theme for this week. Was I ever wrong!!!

Not only was this a fun theme to work with, but there were unexpected side benefits and learning experiences. I’ve already started making plans for photography jaunts that are a direct consequence of this week’s experiences.

To all of the lurkers: You’re missing out by not participating this week! Get out and do something while there’s still some time left.

Thank you Patti.

His name is Dan. He approached me asking for some spare change for Burger King. He had no front teeth. Originally tried to give him a quarter, but he saw I also had a loonie (Canadian dollar coin), and asked for that instead. He was overly aggressive, so I said, I'd give it to him if he posed for me. Right after this shot, he took off.

"Dan"
(FM2, Tri-X 400)

4540919250_bc6ceef766_o.jpg

His name is Dan. He approached me asking for some spare change for Burger King. He had no front teeth. Originally tried to give him a quarter, but he saw I also had a loonie (Canadian dollar coin), and asked for that instead. He was overly aggressive, so I said, I'd give it to him if he posed for me. Right after this shot, he took off.

"Dan"
(FM2, Tri-X 400)

Oh my. He is a sad looking fellow. I hope he took off with your Canadian dollar, although I hear some of these fellows do quite well begging on the streets.

Neat shot and interesting story. What did they used to say? There are 8 million people on the Island of Manhattan and each one has a story
The city has a wealth of interesting people to photograph. Here in NE Ohio, most people are the same, you have to search out the "interesting" ones. Just MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom