CS #230 - Light and the Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collective Shoot #230
Light and the Darkness
March 24th - 30th​

First, thanks to Herschel for inviting me to host a Collective Shoot. Even though I've not yet participated in one, I guess it's never too late to just jump right in. :smile:

This weeks' theme is "Light and the Darkness". There are lots of things in the world that can light up the darkness, both man-made (camp fires, street lights, candles) and natural (fire flies, the moon, stars). But this theme isn't just about those things that produce light, it's about the light being produced. The way that it interacts with other things found within dark surroundings, or maybe just how it interacts with the lens and sensor of the camera.

For example, the way the light from a full moon lights up a landscape? Or how street lights create a warm glow on a foggy night. Or how candles light up the side of a child's face. Or how sunlight streams through a stained glass window. Or how a long-exposure can seem to create things out of light that aren't really there.

Yes, the light source is one component of this weeks' task. But the effect of the light being cast in an otherwise dark environment is the important thing.

Here are a few images of mine that inspired this theme:
5399311239_82b13cebb1_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5439716203_a84ae3d6fa_z.jpg

5393963521_93c62f068f_z.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Mmmmmm....very nice theme and marvelous photos, Greg!! :smile:

Thanks for hosting this week's Challenge; I'm really looking forward to becoming a creature of the night now! :biggrin:

Your timing is perfect, Greg...my theme for this week happens to be "Trick of the Light"--now I can post to two threads for the price of one! :biggrin:

Welcome to the CS, Greg -- this looks like a challenging theme (even though I spend most most of my time "in the dark":wink:)

Neil, I like the way the wet surfaces act as additional light sources in these shots.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh Neil, those are wonderful!! In #1, I love how the light is reflected on the street and how it illuminates the souvenir shop. And actually, when you look at both images, there are several points of illumination throughout the image, from the billboard, to the shop lights, to the street lights...very well done!!

BTW - welcome the Cafe!

Old shots, but I've had some fun with those fluorescent glowsticks:

Eden-20080711-001-x.jpg

Misc-20080727-14-x.jpg

I'm very glad that people seem to be liking my choice of theme!! :biggrin:

I can't wait to see what people come up with over the next few days. I'm going to have to push myself to get creative as well. Luckily, I love taking these kinds of photos. (Wow! What a coincidence! :smile:)

Here are my first two contributions:
20110111-4.jpg

20110111-3.jpg

Great idea Greg,,,,Here are a few of mine...

D2X_5559_filtered.jpg

D2X_5552_filtered.jpg

Attachments

• D2X_5559_filtered.jpg
    D2X_5559_filtered.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 64
  • D2X_5559_filtered.jpg
    D2X_5559_filtered.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 63
Collective Shoot #230
Light and the Darkness
March 24th - 30th​

First, thanks to Herschel for inviting me to host a Collective Shoot. Even though I've not yet participated in one, I guess it's never too late to just jump right in. :smile:

This weeks' theme is "Light and the Darkness". There are lots of things in the world that can light up the darkness, both man-made (camp fires, street lights, candles) and natural (fire flies, the moon, stars). But this theme isn't just about those things that produce light, it's about the light being produced. The way that it interacts with other things found within dark surroundings, or maybe just how it interacts with the lens and sensor of the camera.

For example, the way the light from a full moon lights up a landscape? Or how street lights create a warm glow on a foggy night. Or how candles light up the side of a child's face. Or how sunlight streams through a stained glass window. Or how a long-exposure can seem to create things out of light that aren't really there.

Yes, the light source is one component of this weeks' task. But the effect of the light being cast in an otherwise dark environment is the important thing.

Here are a few images of mine that inspired this theme:
[URL]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5399311239_82b13cebb1_z.jpg[/url]

[URL]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5439716203_a84ae3d6fa_z.jpg[/url]

[URL]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5393963521_93c62f068f_z.jpg[/url]

Greg -

Welcome to the CS and thank you for jumping right in as a host! :biggrin:

A bunch of us are convinced that the Collective Shoot is one of the Café's gems, and I'd bet that by next Thursday, you'll agree.

Your theme is going to be slightly challenging, and those are the ones that often produce the most spectacular contributions. You've started things out very well. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom