CS #232 - Double your pleasure - double your fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Well Bob, I hope I don't deserve the whip...

1244488396_G88qS-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1244488612_DuPXs-X2.jpg

Landscape of course, I hope you didn't expect something else Sir:smile:?

Not from you:eek:. I was hoping however that you might make a quick trip back to Switzerland.:wink:

Those are both interesting comparisons. The symmetry of the trees and your compositions are such that a quick glance at the images suggests sunrise and sunset conditions. [I never thought of that aspect of low angle lighting.:redface:]

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Bob,

Switzerland at the end of August!
When I was biking this evening I had to shade my eyes from the harsh sunlight and then came "The Inspiration" ! Problem now is, I wonder at every object how they would look on front and back with that kind of light. Even with people:eek::biggrin::wink:!

Thanks for all the compliments. :tongue:

Now, now, Ed. We’ve had one excellent submission from your neighbor – surely you can muster something from the state capital. [Maybe you can call Arnold for some ideas.:eek::biggrin:]

Well, we aren't exactly neighbors, roughly 100 miles apart. We are experiencing some micro climates these couple of days. I am guessing Ed is hibernating in his dwelling to avoid the heavy hailing in his neck of woods. :biggrin: The governator is a bit busy these days trying to make a come back of the Terminator after he left office.

Rob, those are big trees! Were you on your golf cart going back and forth around the trees while taking these shots? :biggrin: Very nice, love the silhouettes, especially the last one.

Bob,

When I was biking this evening I had to shade my eyes from the harsh sunlight and then came "The Inspiration" ! Problem now is, I wonder at every object how they would look on front and back with that kind of light. Even with people:eek::biggrin::wink:!

Rob, that points to one of the things I love about the CS -- it gets me out of my *normal* routine and makes me think about both photography and my subjects in a different way.:wink:

Nice variations of the theme, guys! I will work on my contribution tomorrow.

Bob,

Thanks for volunteering for this week's CS and the fine illustrations. :biggrin:

Not sure if this works: I simply changed the focal point in the view finder to focus on two different objects. The first shot is focused on the tea pot, trying to tickle the viewer's sense of smell and taste; the second shot is on the DVD, attempting to tingle the viewer's sight and hearing.

Tea Time
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_PuTcBKs-2-Q/TZ6mxcSSHbI/AAAAAAAAL64/yXU0gWmw1jg/s800/DSC_9687.JPG
D200, ISO 100, f/1.4, 1/13s @85mm

What Say You?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_PuTcBKs-2-Q/TZ6m9G-4wLI/AAAAAAAAL68/n6aAPPsKxAU/s800/DSC_9688.JPG
D200, ISO 100, f/1.4, 1/15s @85mm

Kiley -

*Beautiful* matching of colors and textures in these two!

Spot on.

Hey Rob -

I wouldn't dare speak for Bob - his contributions and expectations are always quite exacting - :biggrin:

yet . . .

I think your contributions should pass muster easily. :smile:

Not sure if this works: I simply changed the focal point in the view finder to focus on two different objects. The first shot is focused on the tea pot, trying to tickle the viewer's sense of smell and taste; the second shot is on the DVD, attempting to tingle the viewer's sight and hearing.

Tea Time

What Say You?

Kiley,

Just beautiful exposure with these and the color is spot-on!!! ((I know because I've been re-watching "The Return of The King" this week. :tongue:))

Rob,

:biggrin: Terrific images for your first time ever being there. :biggrin:

I REALLY like the silohouette of the first one. The way you composed it makes it feel like the tree branches are pulling the viewer into the scene. Beautiful! :smile:

Post-Processing perspective?

I had this theme in mind as I was playing around trying out a "faux macro" combination today (85mm + 1.4x + close-up lens). I have always shot the unopened buds of daffodils, but after several years of this a straight shot of a daf bud was simply something I did not want to do. So I changed the mood and even essential nature of the shoot by playing with the colors, dynamic range, and exposure that nature provided. See what you think:

Surreal Daf Bud
original.jpg

And the conventional garden shot:
original.jpg

Then, to carry the concept further, I opted to shoot the front porch light stanchion both as a realistic, fully captured pic, and as a color- and exposure- manipulated macro version that has been altered similar to the daf bud. (Along the way, came up with an "X" to compete in last week's challenge....sorry for the lateness, Michelle :biggrin:):

Blue X
original.jpg

And the conventional tele shot:
original.gif

I know this stretch's Bob's original concept a bit...but since I rarely shoot and process this way I thought it might be fun. I hope it falls, if not in the ballpark, at least just outside the right foul line.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Harry,
Really like the way you played here! I wonder if there are no insects that see the flower as you've shown in #1.
And I can honestly say, that that crazy blue 'X' you show here, I've seen in reality! It took only on liter of whiskey:biggrin::biggrin::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
First set was Front and Back, now Near and Far.

Both are made with the 70-300mm at 300mm, F5,6 @ 800ISO, HH @1/40s. The near one was focused at a distance of 7.5 meters and the far one on infinity. Looks like a textbook example of the effect of the F-stop:biggrin:

1245098935_YUbST-X2.jpg

I had this theme in mind as I was playing around trying out a "faux macro" combination today (85mm + 1.4x + close-up lens). I have always shot the unopened buds of daffodils, but after several years of this a straight shot of a daf bud was simply something I did not want to do. So I changed the mood and even essential nature of the shoot by playing with the colors, dynamic range, and exposure that nature provided. See what you think:

Surreal Daf Bud

And the conventional garden shot:

Then, to carry the concept further, I opted to shoot the front porch light stanchion both as a realistic, fully captured pic, and as a color- and exposure- manipulated macro version that has been altered similar to the daf bud. (Along the way, came up with an "X" to compete in last week's challenge....sorry for the lateness, Michelle :biggrin:):

Blue X

And the conventional tele shot:

I know this stretch's Bob's original concept a bit...but since I rarely shoot and process this way I thought it might be fun. I hope it falls, if not in the ballpark, at least just outside the right foul line.

Foul ball -- NOT -- more like an inside the park homerun:cool:

Harry, the false color treatment really adds some mystery to the daffodil -- the choice of color is suggestive of a precocious iris or grape hyacinth lurking in the background:wink:. [I see, and am guilty of, too many ordinary daffodil shots at this time of year. While they are welcomed after a harsh winter, too much repetition can spoil anything.:smile:]

The abstraction of the porch light also works -- interesting patterns, textures, and colors can be anywhere -- if we would only look and see.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
First set was Front and Back, now Near and Far.

Both are made with the 70-300mm at 300mm, F5,6 @ 800ISO, HH @1/40s. The near one was focused at a distance of 7.5 meters and the far one on infinity. Looks like a textbook example of the effect of the F-stop:biggrin:

Excellent, Rob. This makes me hope that they never invent a camera that works like the human eye/brain combination. The ability to make images like these would be lost.:eek:

Hey Bob -

I went for a walk at the university gardens this morning - not much blooming yet. The first shot (70 mm; f/2.8; back lighting) tried to show how this redbud tree was essentially the only splash of color around. The second (90mm; f/11; front lighting) tried to emphasize how the buds just pop out of the branches.

original.gif

View attachment 878474

Hey Bob -

I went for a walk at the university gardens this morning - not much blooming yet. The first shot (70 mm; f/2.8; back lighting) tried to show how this redbud tree was essentially the only splash of color around. The second (90mm; f/11; front lighting) tried to emphasize how the buds just pop out of the branches.

Yep, a splash of color and the beautiful overall morphology of the tree branch in the first followed by the close-up view of the individual flowers. [I've never looked closely at redbud tree before.:redface:]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom