CS #233 - Items of Significance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hey there, everyone - Lyndee here! :smile:

Sorry I’m late; I had to do some gardening spruce up before the yard waste truck came and it took longer than I thought it would. :redface: Anyway, Herschel has graciously (and perhaps with a bit of trepidation...:rolleyes:) allowed me to be the host of this week’s Collective Shoot!

The topic for this week is Items of Significance. There are four subjects that really spark my interest - History, Architecture, Photography and Travel. So when thinking of a topic for this week’s CS, I knew immediately that the subject matter would involve one or more of those interests. Your mission this week is to take and display images (Photography) of buildings (Architecture) or objects; or items of interest, that have historical or personal significance (History).

Annnnd...when you post your image, briefly state the importance of the item. So, for example, your photos could be of a treasured family heirloom, or, something a wee bit larger like:
1194873194_cNqq2-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The Great Sphinx of Giza, which is the largest monolith statue in the world, and is supposedly (according to Wikipedia) the oldest known monumental sculpture, or…

1251851909_5GiXC-XL.jpg
La Tour Eiffel, the tallest building in Paris…or…

1251854019_TjyvE-XL.jpg
The Old Cathedral, here in St. Louis, which was the first cathedral west of the Mississippi River.

Now. Let's see what you come up with this week!!!! Same rules as usual, and happy shooting!!! :biggrin:

Hi Lyndee -- maybe I looked too quickly, but your images are not showing:eek:

Personal historical history eh, I have some family stuff that I have failed with on several occasions:redface:, and now you want me to try again:eek: I might even be willing to travel someplace to avoid that:biggrin:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'll check again, Bob - I can see them, but I think I know what I've done; be right back!

Edit: I think they'll show now; let me know if they don't...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Lyndee -- maybe I looked too quickly, but your images are not showing:eek:

Personal historical history eh, I have some family stuff that I have failed with on several occasions:redface:, and now you want me to try again:eek: I might even be willing to travel someplace to avoid that:biggrin:

Well now, since you're in the travelling mood, how 'bout travelling over here to the Show Me State, and help me with this yard work?? :biggrin:

I'll check again, Bob - I can see them, but I think I know what I've done; be right back!

Edit: I think they'll show now; let me know if they don't...

Coming through loud and clear now.

Well now, since you're in the travelling mood, how 'bout travelling over here to the Show Me State, and help me with this yard work?? :biggrin:

Okay, it's a deal -- I'll be there just as soon as I finish the yard work that I started here 37 years ago:rolleyes:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Hello Lyndee,
Nice to see you hosting this weeks madness! I don't know if I can satisfy the theme after you showing these perfect examples, but I'll try...:wink:

Hi Lyndee, terrific to see you're hosting - and of course with a terrific theme!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Coming through loud and clear now.

Okay, it's a deal -- I'll be there just as soon as I finish the yard work that I started here 37 years ago:rolleyes:

Hmmm...something tells me I won't be seeing you anytime soon, huh? :rolleyes:

HOT DOG! I think I can do this one!

HOT DOG - I know you can, Dianne!!! :biggrin: Looking forward to seeing what you post!

Hello Lyndee,
Nice to see you hosting this weeks madness! I don't know if I can satisfy the theme after you showing these perfect examples, but I'll try...:wink:

I have no worries, Rob - your work is always stellar. In fact, I am the one who is hesitant about posting this week because I know I am in the company of some outstanding photographers! :smile:

Hi Lyndee, terrific to see you're hosting - and of course with a terrific theme!

Hi Klaus-Peter!!! :biggrin:

Glad to see you here, and I cannot wait to see what you come up with!!! I do know that it will be brilliant!!

These are from today at the government palace in Downtown lima. The Palace was first built by Pizarro who conquered the Incas, as his house in the new world
Normally you need an advance appointment to see inside the palace but for the last couple weeks they are having an exhibition for Machu Picchu. Yale University has let Peru see there own stuff that Yale stole a 100 years ago. How kind of Yale

5620336431_f4cb597a0a_z.jpg

5621229262_2b482bcee2_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't usually play when it comes to these collective shoots, but I have a few, if you don't mind Lyndee...

1. This was a pretty significant thing last year... The Four Mile Canyon wildfire. If you can't tell, there is a city directly at the base of the mountains. This wildfire burned for almost 2 weeks. It was the most expensive wildfire in Colorado History ($217M USD in damages/insurance claims).
-
4967089528_b964330f29_b.jpg

2. Yours truly. I am pretty significant to a few people :tongue:
-
4973535568_e405a86b69_b.jpg

3. These little guys are pretty significant to me. See more about the Danbo's and my year long photography project here!
-
5462787059_d9a3945ddf_b.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
These are from today at the government palace in Downtown lima. The Palace was first built by Pizarro who conquered the Incas, as his house in the new world
Normally you need an advance appointment to see inside the palace but for the last couple weeks they are having an exhibition for Machu Picchu. Yale University has let Peru see there own stuff that Yale stole a 100 years ago. How kind of Yale

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5620336431_f4cb597a0a_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182/5621229262_2b482bcee2_z.jpg

Whoooaaa, Mysh!! :eek:

You've started us off with a bang - these are outstanding!!!

I love the ornate interior of this building. Look at the marble columns and steps and the carpet runner. Also, check out the moldings and that ceiling (swoons...) !!!!

Now, look at your images themselve, Mysh. Excellent composition and clarity and the color and sharpness of each is top notch. Well done!!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I don't usually play when it comes to these collective shoots, but I have a few, if you don't mind Lyndee...

1. This was a pretty significant thing last year... The Four Mile Canyon wildfire. If you can't tell, there is a city directly at the base of the mountains. This wildfire burned for almost 2 weeks. It was the most expensive wildfire in Colorado History ($217M USD in damages/insurance claims).
-
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4967089528_b964330f29_b.jpg

2. Yours truly. I am pretty significant to a few people :tongue:
-
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/4973535568_e405a86b69_b.jpg

3. These little guys are pretty significant to me. See more about the Danbo's and my year long photography project here!
-
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5462787059_d9a3945ddf_b.jpg

Of course I don't mind, Scott and thanks for joining us! Love all three of these, and yes, you are quite siginificant, especially to Libby and Big and Little Danbo! :biggrin: I'm glad you brought along the Danbos on your visit to the Collective Shoot; I'm sure they enjoyed the field trip!! :tongue:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Mysh: beautifully done indeed! And indeed, it's a shame some of our museums are filled with objects we have 'borrowed'.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Lyndee, as you know I live in IJmuiden, at the border / edge of the North Sea. The coast is about 3 miles from my home, an easy bicycle journey! This morning it was beautiful weather and after asking Marga (my wife) about this CS theme, she said two things. One of those is this one, it's called 'De Waker', meaning The Guardian. It's the headquarter of the beach guard, you know the boys and girls made famous by a certain Pamela A.
It's an organization of volunteers, paid by volunteers and they are very busy, 365 days a year!

dsc_7901-X2.jpg

Coming towards IJmuiden, the best way is of course coming from sea. You can see two significant structures then:

1) In the middle the Harbor Service, flanked on the right by two lighthouses. As you can see the beach houses are here again!
dsc_7904-X2.jpg

2) The second structure is an island in the middle of the harbor mouth: Forteiland. Build by the Dutch just before WW1, it protected the entrance to the harbor and more important, the route to Amsterdam. Now it's deserted, only gulls live there (if you look at 100% you can see a few hundred). A few times a year there are massive dance parties there. Fabulous amount of noise then!

dsc_7912-X2.jpg

Of course I don't mind, Scott and thanks for joining us! Love all three of these, and yes, you are quite siginificant, especially to Libby and Big and Little Danbo! :biggrin: I'm glad you brought along the Danbos on your visit to the Collective Shoot; I'm sure they enjoyed the field trip!! :tongue:

Thanks Lyndee :smile: I haven't told them i posted their picture here though. but I am sure they will like it :tongue:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee, as you know I live in IJmuiden, at the border / edge of the North Sea. The coast is about 3 miles from my home, an easy bicycle journey! This morning it was beautiful weather and after asking Marga (my wife) about this CS theme, she said two things. One of those is this one, it's called 'De Waker', meaning The Guardian. It's the headquarter of the beach guard, you know the boys and girls made famous by a certain Pamela A.
It's an organization of volunteers, paid by volunteers and they are very busy, 365 days a year!

http://zijlstra.smugmug.com/Other/Collective-Shoot/i-V3wC5hW/0/X2/dsc_7901-X2.jpg

Coming towards IJmuiden, the best way is of course coming from sea. You can see two significant structures then:

1) In the middle the Harbor Service, flanked on the right by two lighthouses. As you can see the beach houses are here again!
http://zijlstra.smugmug.com/Other/Collective-Shoot/i-h6LRvG8/0/X2/dsc_7904-X2.jpg

2) The second structure is an island in the middle of the harbor mouth: Forteiland. Build by the Dutch just before WW1, it protected the entrance to the harbor and more important, the route to Amsterdam. Now it's deserted, only gulls live there (if you look at 100% you can see a few hundred). A few times a year there are massive dance parties there. Fabulous amount of noise then!

http://zijlstra.smugmug.com/Other/Collective-Shoot/i-8vvpPQr/0/X2/dsc_7912-X2.jpg

Rob, I would love to live anywhere near a coast; I would never leave! Coasts are so beautiful and there is so much to see, as you shown here. That first image is stellar! I feel as though I am right underneath the overhang of the building. The next two are so pleasing to look at and the 3rd image actually reminds of crossing the Hudson River in New York on the way to Staten Island. Thank you for the history lesson and the photos; they're wonderful!

Great contributions, mysh, Scott and Rob!

Here's mine:

The city hall of the small village in southwest Germany in which I grew up. Built in 1750 it's the village's landmark and therefore significant to me - and also, because I went to school on the ground floor for the first three years. Not to mention the countless times I waited at the bus stop in front of the building. Memories...

Shot this afternoon with my LX5, I am currently there for some family business.

p1020843-XL.jpg

Great contributions!

You guys are killin me. I'm sitting here in the office with no camera and I'm itching to shoot outside..

For now, I'll look at the photos that are being posted :smile:

PS- Wonderful theme, Lyn.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Great contributions, mysh, Scott and Rob!

Here's mine:

The city hall of the small village in southwest Germany in which I grew up. Built in 1750 it's the village's landmark and therefore significant to me - and also, because I went to school on the ground floor for the first three years. Not to mention the countless times I waited at the bus stop in front of the building. Memories...

Shot this afternoon with my LX5, I am currently there for some family business.

http://www.kpstatz.com/Other/Other-pictures/i-MTq3nG6/0/XL/p1020843-XL.jpg

Klaus-Peter, I have an image of you as a child in a pair of knickers sitting on one of those benches in front of the building waiting for the bus to arrive! :tongue:

This is a fantastic image, and I love European structures. So much character, and this is no exception. From the top with the weather vane, to the bottom, it is a fabulous building. And look at the old stone steps to the right; perfect! I see why it is a landmark, and from 1750; talk about standing the test of time!

Thanks for taking time to join us this week! And safe travels to you as you return to New York!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom