CS #240 - Dad's, Mentors, Role Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Herschel for providing me the opportunity to host this week. Given we are near Father's Day, my theme is around portrait, image, snapshot of your father or most significant mentor/role model. I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

My dad passed away 10 years ago and I found for this shoot that I need to digitize more of my old photos. Here are two scans of him from 1986 shot with my FE & 50 1.4 on Kodacolor. From a very memorable trip to Pebble Beach as he was, and I am very avid golfer.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 910901

And of image of my father in law from last year doing what he loves, boating.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a tricky CS for me.

My Dad, who was also my photographic inspiration passed away in 2004. He was a professional photographer from an early age and was a wonderful father. He and my mother covered many press stories in the far North of Scotland, including the loss of the Long Hope lifeboat, which was a week before I was born. They also covered weddings and did portraits.

I'd kind of moved away from photography in my twenties, but the spark was re-lit after we lost him. Now I find that there are many occasions where I would like to discuss things with him but can't. I was recently sent his notebook from when he studied photography with the RAF as part of his National Service in the late 1940s, it is a very interesting book and I intend to use it to teach my daughters about photography when they are a little older. Throughout his career he was at the forefront of technology so I am sure that he would be making the most of digital if he was around today.

Since most people plan to scan their old photos, I hope it is ok to post an old photo myself. My dad brought us up as a single parent for most of my life. With his limited means, he ensured that I got a good education and a good life. I respect him most for the amount of freedom he gave me, even when I was a child. He is living in India, half way round the earth, and these were taken when he visited me last year.

Since most people plan to scan their old photos, I hope it is ok to post an old photo myself. My dad brought us up as a single parent for most of my life. With his limited means, he ensured that I got a good education and a good life. I respect him most for the amount of freedom he gave me, even when I was a child. He is living in India, half way round the earth, and these were taken when he visited me last year.
The CHARACTER in that face -- WOW!! Outstanding photography, Ananth:cool:

The CHARACTER in that face -- WOW!! Outstanding photography, Ananth:cool:
Thanks Bob! He was very pleased to visit me after a long time :smile:

Ananth,

Incredible fine photos! Compliments indeed.
Thanks Rob! :smile: I had just acquired some cheap ebay remote triggers and was experimenting with old used flashes with manual power and exposure settings.

My dad is 87. He's general health is good except some hearing problem which he never admits it. He likes to pretend he can hear what you say and try to continue the conversation. My kids like to play with grandpa by talking to him softly and then laugh at his random responses.

Taken tonight with the Leica M9 + Summilux 50mm F/1.4.

My dad is 87. He's general health is good except some hearing problem which he never admits it. He likes to pretend he can hear what you say and try to continue the conversation. My kids like to play with grandpa by talking to him softly and then laugh at his random responses.
I'll bet they the kids and grandpa enjoy every minute of it!:smile:

Excellent photo, Phil -- the wisdom is written in the lines:wink:

Real Name
Michael
Ananth- those are amazing photos. You had a spectacular subject to work with and did him justice. I keep going back and forth between the two looking at your father's eyes which show so much.....warmth, strength and wisdom. Just magnificent.

Thanks J for hosting this. :smile:
My Dad left us almost a year ago. I'd like to post one of the few pictures I've ever taken of him and it wasn't long before he passed on.

You've done exactly that. You've done your Father proud with these images.
Ananth- those are amazing photos. You had a spectacular subject to work with and did him justice. I keep going back and forth between the two looking at your father's eyes which show so much.....warmth, strength and wisdom. Just magnificent.
Thanks Mike & Mike! :smile:
He was very patient with me when I was taking the photos, juggling the remote flashes. He will be pleased to know that people like the pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom