1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #29 - "Out of the ordinary"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Bob Coutant, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    We’re now open for business. Post your images in this thread.

There are many different forums here at the Café, but many of us tend to focus on just a few of the topics. I was inspired this past week when two seasoned photographers, Wade (Commodorefirst) and Andreas (AFX), posted images in areas that were outside their primary centers of attention.

Therefore, the theme for this week’s Collective Shoot is out of the ordinary. Choose a subject, style, or treatment that is represented least frequently in your portfolio. In my case, that would be anything other than color photographs of wildlife and flowers. Maybe you’re a generalist with respect to subjects, but you don’t normally do black and white, sepia, selective partial color, artistic transformation, etc. – do it a little differently this time. And, tell us what you learned.

Too busy to plan anything different this weekend?? – Make it a snapshot; share it with your friends here at the Café; and tell us how you would have improved it if you had the time.

Rules:
    Shooting period: Friday (April 6) through Sunday evening (April 8) [your local time]

Posting period: Friday April 6 through Tuesday April 10

Please submit no more than 2 photos.

Have fun:biggrin: :biggrin: !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I live only 7 miles from Lancaster, a city that was settled in the 1700’s. There are many old houses and churches, but I’ve never even attempted to photograph them. Conditions were not nice this morning – it was windy and cold and snow flurries were in the air. I learned pretty quickly that I had to use a lot of exposure compensation and that finding the “perfect angle” was d…. near impossible.

I think that the first building was originally the rectory for a nearby church, but it now serves as an office for an architect. [don’t know who put the gingerbread on that roof line]

[​IMG]

The second is an Episcopal church – watch out for the archers in the battlements.

[​IMG]

3. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    hi all

i never skied on the moon before :biggrin: :tongue:

[​IMG]

4. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That's a neat image, j.luc. Based on what I've seen in some of your previous photos, I'm guessing that's a snowcat off to the right:confused:  , but what's goin' on?

5. Although I shoot similar shots to this all the time, this one is different for me because I'm using external flash to help light the building a little. It's the first time I've tried it, because I'm using the 20mm lens I just bought, and it's wide enough that I can get close enough to use the flash, and still get some background into the photo.

original.

I felt the photo would have been better if the dark side had been lit with the sun instead of the flash, however, it looks to me like the flash did improve detail in the shaded side.

This was also my first attempt to use a colored filter, which was a magenta resin filter, cc40m. My first impression from the results is that it's worth the effort of putting it on the lens.

These tiny houses are all over the desert, and I wonder if they were ever used, or just built to take advantage of homesteading.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Here is a DIFFERENT for me and a new DIFFERENT LENS too!!!....lolol
    Cruisin down the river..Just a little run-about.:>))))

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Nicely done Miriam. I hope the wind wasn't blowing -- that buildng looks like it wouldn't stand much wind:smile: .

As has been said many many times, "It's all about the light." While shadow recovery can be done in PP, it's never quite the same, and it's far more satisfying to get it right out of the camera. I keep saying that, but I don't use the flash as much as I should :redface: . Neither do I use colored filters, in spite of the fact that Iliah has pointed out their utility on numerous occasions. Gonna have to do it right!

8. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That is a little bigger than your average heron, eagle, or egret:smile: . What lens did you use?? [no EXIF]

You should have hitched a ride:biggrin:

9. Thanks, Bob! That building must be sturdier than it looks, considering the extreme winds we get around here.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  11. I rarely take pictures of flowers (or living things in general), so here is my attempt. I took these photos of some tulips growing in a potted plant on my desk.

[​IMG]

This one looks like it's at the end of it's days.

[​IMG]

12. CLS does landscape

Very good stuff from everybody so far.

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to using the CLS, and I'd never tried it at all with a landscape until this morning. Last night's snow tempted me to try to use flash to isolate this small beech tree from the background.

original.
    NIKON D200    ---    17mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 100

[D200, 17-55/2.8, f/8 @ 1/250, ISO 100; (1) SB600 & (1) SB600 controlled by on-board flash]

Full disclosure: I did use a curves layer to bump up the contrast between the tree and the BG a bit, and also increased the saturation of the birdbath with a hue/saturation layer.

I found Miriam's (very well done) example using flash in a landscape application interesting. While she used flash to more closely match the exposure of her subject with the background, my intent was to give the subject a radically different brightness level compared to the BG.

13. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Victor, we've had nothing but cold wind and snow today -- your flowers hit the spot:smile: . [Our daffodils, hyacinths, magnolias, etc. really look sick after the weather we've had the last couple of days.]

Dave, that's such an obvious application of flash that I've never even considered it :redface: -- I always either rely on PP for subject isolation or take what I can get with DOF. Thanks for turning on my lightbulb!

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    David,
    That is absolutely beautiful

15. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Great shots everybody!!!

note to self: in the future don't foget the flash - D'oh:redface:

OK, I went to Big Cat Rescue, a non-profit safe haven for retired, neglected and abused cats (circus, breaders, poachers, drug dealers.....) where they are cared for until they pass on. I was close enough to pet them - but withstood the temptation knowing it would be difficult to continue photography with body parts missing :smile:

I never tried b/w so for these I used the setting on the D200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like them
    Still learning
    Peace
    Mark

16. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Good ones Mark:cool:  . In one way or another this CS, so far, seems to be a lesson in the use of flash -- either didn't use it, but should have; or tried it with these results. I think that many of us, including me, could learn to make better use of our flashes.
    I was curious about the histograms and peeked at your images in my editor. I've seen only a few B&W's straight out of the D200, and didn't realize that it produces true 8-bit files rather than the 24-bit files that result from the commonly used desaturation method for B&W. I like that because then I know that the black is a "pure black".

17. I'd intended to practice using the wide-angle lens Saturday. I drove about 50 miles to a 3.5 acre garden with tens of thousands of tulips at a couple's home, and I wanted to capture some low, sweeping shots. These gardens are opened up each Spring as a fund-raiser for the city's various parks.

Sadly, Friday evening we had record cold temperatures (18 °F), and most of the flowers did not fare too well . . .

Instead, I resorted to mostly isolation shots. The one below is a bit different for me, since I tried using a long focal length to help with the isolation (200 mm, f/5, 1/1000 s). In my experience, this technique works best when there is a large distance between the subject and its background - which wasn't quite the case here.

76843248.original.

The second isolation shot below is more typical for me: 90 mm macro at f/4:

View attachment 88814

Nice topic, Bob - thanks for hosting it. It has been both enjoyable and instructive!

Eric

18. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Too bad about the temperatures and the tulips -- we've had similar weather, but at least our tulips have not yet bloomed. Right now, Eric, yours look awfully good to me:smile: .
    Yep, there's only a couple of ways to get isolation directly out of the camera -- control the light (either positively with flash or negatively with gradient filter) or use as long and wide open a lens as you can (or a combination of these approaches). When the conditions are such that these approaches are not practical, masking and darkening/blurring in PP works, but may not be the most satisfying.

19. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    I don't take too many flower pix -- I'm certain that I've never posted one here. In keeping with the shoot's topic, I took the opportunity to take a newly acquired lens (Zeiss ZF 25mm 2.8) for a test drive and explore its close focusing capabilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I like those Keirin, especially the first one. The colors are great in both, but the composition of the first seems to grow on me -- it keeps pulling me back for another look. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more from that lens in the Macro/Flowers/Greenery forum:smile: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.