1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS 3, LR 1.4, Vivesa and NX2???

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by rlacy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I currently used PS CS3 and LR 1.4 for editing my images on an iMAC. I am considering getting Vivesa for the advantages of U-Point control. However, when I read more about NX2 (I have never used any version of this software) it seems like I might be better off just purchasing NX 2. The new version is $179 at B&H and Vivesa is $225 after using my NAPP discount. So it is a little cheaper to buy NX2, but not a whole lot.

The real question is whether NX2 would provide that much more control and ease of use than the Adobe products. I would really appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with these software programs and an opinion about ease of use and functionality.

Also, I generally use LR as my data base manger for my images. Will I still need to do that or will NX 2 provide a good alternative?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Ron

2. Ron,

I have CS3 and Viveza, and I use CNX2. Though Viveza works very well under CS3, its features which are part of CNX2 are more intuitve to use in CNX2.

The more I use CNX2, the more I like it. At this point I think it is the ideal tool for working with Nikon Raw files, U-Point Color Control Points are very useful.

For JPEG files, I like using Lightroom and CS3 together better than using Capture NX2 or View NX.

Capture NX2 is not as fast as I would like it to be, but with practice you can work efficiently in it. I tend to use it as needed and as a learning tool. Combined with Nik's Color EFEX 3.0 pro, you can get some really good results.

Before (D70 20mm f/2.8 AFD 1/60sec @ 2.8 ISO 800)
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Capture NX2 and View NX do not provide the database and cataloging features of Lightroom.

There does not appear to be a single tool that does it all yet. Though I keep wishing and wishing...

Warm Regards,

3. Just wait for Lightroom 2 to be released.

4. Have the Beta and I'm waiting, I'm waiting...

5. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Bill and Greg--You both advise to wait for LR2. I haven't used the beta so can you tell me why you think LR2 will be an improvement that would be better than NX2, Vivesa, etc.?

Thanks
    Ron

6. Just a couple things important to me:

Localized corrections similar to NX2 control points

Dual monitor support

7. Ron,

Tom Tom is absolutely right about taking a deeper look into CNX2 being worth the time and effort. You can do a lot with it. If you have not done so, check out Nikon's Capture NX Web Site.

I went ahead and bought Nik's Color EFEX Pro 3.0 because it makes several types of adjustments very convenient. It is not a necessity, but nothing about my photography hobby actually qualifies as a necessity :) 

Like Greg says, there are some new features in LR2 that make it an even better product. I like LR2's interface and features a lot. It is fast and handles JPEG's elegantly. I shoot about half JPEG and half raw. Everything out of a point and shoot is JPEG, and it makes managing the thousands of images my wife makes with her point and shoot every year a possibility! She is one who considers a 4gb card as a starting point.

Warm Regards,

8. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Bill, Tom, Greg--Thanks for the responses. Still a tough decision. Waiting for LR 2 may make sense as it should be released soon--anyone know the date?

Can NX2 support dual monitors as CS3 does and LR2 is anticipated to do?

Thanks
    Ron

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.