CS 3, LR 1.4, Vivesa and NX2???

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by rlacy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I currently used PS CS3 and LR 1.4 for editing my images on an iMAC. I am considering getting Vivesa for the advantages of U-Point control. However, when I read more about NX2 (I have never used any version of this software) it seems like I might be better off just purchasing NX 2. The new version is $179 at B&H and Vivesa is $225 after using my NAPP discount. So it is a little cheaper to buy NX2, but not a whole lot.

The real question is whether NX2 would provide that much more control and ease of use than the Adobe products. I would really appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with these software programs and an opinion about ease of use and functionality.

Also, I generally use LR as my data base manger for my images. Will I still need to do that or will NX 2 provide a good alternative?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Ron

2. Ron,

I have CS3 and Viveza, and I use CNX2. Though Viveza works very well under CS3, its features which are part of CNX2 are more intuitve to use in CNX2.

The more I use CNX2, the more I like it. At this point I think it is the ideal tool for working with Nikon Raw files, U-Point Color Control Points are very useful.

For JPEG files, I like using Lightroom and CS3 together better than using Capture NX2 or View NX.

Capture NX2 is not as fast as I would like it to be, but with practice you can work efficiently in it. I tend to use it as needed and as a learning tool. Combined with Nik's Color EFEX 3.0 pro, you can get some really good results.

Before (D70 20mm f/2.8 AFD 1/60sec @ 2.8 ISO 800)
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Capture NX2 and View NX do not provide the database and cataloging features of Lightroom.

There does not appear to be a single tool that does it all yet. Though I keep wishing and wishing...

Warm Regards,

3. Just wait for Lightroom 2 to be released.

4. Have the Beta and I'm waiting, I'm waiting...

5. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Bill and Greg--You both advise to wait for LR2. I haven't used the beta so can you tell me why you think LR2 will be an improvement that would be better than NX2, Vivesa, etc.?

Thanks
    Ron

6. Just a couple things important to me:

Localized corrections similar to NX2 control points

Dual monitor support

7. Ron,

Tom Tom is absolutely right about taking a deeper look into CNX2 being worth the time and effort. You can do a lot with it. If you have not done so, check out Nikon's Capture NX Web Site.

I went ahead and bought Nik's Color EFEX Pro 3.0 because it makes several types of adjustments very convenient. It is not a necessity, but nothing about my photography hobby actually qualifies as a necessity :)

Like Greg says, there are some new features in LR2 that make it an even better product. I like LR2's interface and features a lot. It is fast and handles JPEG's elegantly. I shoot about half JPEG and half raw. Everything out of a point and shoot is JPEG, and it makes managing the thousands of images my wife makes with her point and shoot every year a possibility! She is one who considers a 4gb card as a starting point.

Warm Regards,

8. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Bill, Tom, Greg--Thanks for the responses. Still a tough decision. Waiting for LR 2 may make sense as it should be released soon--anyone know the date?

Can NX2 support dual monitors as CS3 does and LR2 is anticipated to do?

Thanks
    Ron