CS #34 - "Your neighborhood"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by Candidcameraman, May 10, 2007.

1. Your Neighborhood... What makes your corner of paradise yours. It is all about, ummm, what makes your living or work neighborhood yours, what's great about it? The people, the architectures, the nature, the restaurants, the attractions, the quietness, the [insert your own thing here]

:890:Take one or more pictures of the area you live in at the moment.:890:

Post Here!

The idea is to share your corner of the world with other people around the globe.

Guidelines:

Shooting Time: Starts now, May 10th (any time, any place, any subject, anywhere) and ends next Tuesday May 16th. And please if you have pictures you took earlier and would like to share, do not feel limited by the time frame of the shooting, this is about sharing not restricting :smile:

Posting Period: Starts now... :rolleyes: (any time, any place, any subject, anywhere) and ends next Wednesday May 16th

You may post as many images as you wish, but please remember to watch file size for those with slower connections and a caption or captions to go along with the image(s) would be truly great.

The aim of this Collective Shoot is to share what you like about where you live.

I'll be around to answer any questions, but aim to have loose guidelines to allow everyone to enjoy the Collective Shoot rather than worry about rules. Enjoy! :Whistle:

Here is a sample of what I am talking about:

My Toronto

41abalconyviewJuly5II.

Is a great city with a distinct skyline...

But what makes my city great are the people visiting it...

View attachment 94782

And living in it

View attachment 94783

It can be as simple and general as you wish or elaborate and specific as you like.

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    My neighborhood?

Well, it’s mostly quiet woods and fields where I can wander around and talk to the four-legged and winged inhabitants:smile: . Here’s a shot across one of the fields in the late afternoon sun, and another of some of my little neighbors enjoying the combination of sunshine and cool breezes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. And a very pretty neighborhood it is. I have enjoyed the two times I have visited. Very peaceful setting and interesting neighbors. Nice images, Bob.

4. Very nice Bob, quiet, serene and peaceful.

5. Here is a view out front of my home. The Hay is ready for the first cutting of the season. Hope to come up with one or two more to share later today.

[​IMG]

small pano

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Looks like you're a couple of weeks ahead of us Dave -- I keep forgetting that you are somewhat south. I like the pano -- it's hard to show a field otherwise.

7. Thanks Bob. Your neighborhood sure looks serene.

8. Nice view Dave, I feel like I am the only one in the city :rolleyes:

Love the pano pic.

9. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Dude -- you're about two weeks early for me on the neighborhood photos. Even though the temperature is bumping 90 degrees here in Texas, there is not a lot of activity in the pool yet. On Memorial Day weekend we'll kick off the summer season with a big neighborhood cookout and pool party.
    497000996_ad60fc1a54_o.

497001110_0c268d2976_o.

View attachment 94786

I took a walk around the neighborhood, and it seemed that there weren't any neighbors to chat with...
    View attachment 94787

Our humble abode...
    View attachment 94788

So I spent some time in the backyard. Notice the smoke from the smoker in the neighbors backyard. Mmmmmm.... Texas BBQ!
    View attachment 94789

10. Another country boy reporting in...

Like Bob and Dave, I live in a rural area (in my case, central Virginia between Richmond and Charlottesville). Slowly, the the area is becoming more residential and less agricultural in nature, but scenes like these are still plentiful.
    original.

original.

11. My apologies :wink: Still post some pictures from memorial day weekend, great quiet part of Texas. What is that water tower for?

I really like the second picture - great stuff!

12. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Thanks for hosting this week's shoot Dude! It was a lot of fun for me --along with getting out and about in the neighborhood, I took the 18-200 off my camera and made an effort to spend the weekend only shooting with the 50mm. This was a good exercise as it makes you stop and think a little more about composition since your feet have to zoom you in or out :smile:

The water tower, along with the neighborhood community center and pool house are the remaining structures from the original ranch upon which our neighborhood is built. The ranch used to be a stagecoach stop along the trail heading west. These days, the water tower pulls water from the kid's pool below it and puts it back in through the silver tube you can see extending from the bottom of the tank. The kids have a ball playing in the falling water. I'll post some pictures from the neighborhood party.

13. WOW, you guys that live out in the country are making me GREEN with envy! I miss living in the country so much! I'll try to post something today - been a very busy weekend! If not, I'll wait for the next shoot! Beautiful photos BTW

14. Well, by exception I am posting an old image that I shot last year. Right now my neighborhood still looks very drab, just coming out of winter.

original.

15. The water tower is a nice touch. There is nothing like shooting with a prime, your feet have to do the zooming in and out and you have to think a bit more about the composition but the results can be amazing.

No rush, you have until Wednesday :wink:

Well it looks great in that picture, I really like the composition and how the clouds turned out. :smile:

16. I wish my neighborhood is as beautiful as the ones seen here.

I originally planned to do some street photography this past few days but the plan was ruined by my busy schedules. I then suddenly had an idea this morning - why not take you along on my trip to work? My workplace is less than 10 miles from home and I consider it as my neighborhood.

The street where I live. A lot of traffic in the morning when everyone is going to school or work.
    original.

Going down hill, I pass through Causeway Bay, the major shopping and entertainment district on Hong Kong Island.
    original.

Next, the tunnel that takes me from the north side of the Island to the south side. It saves a lot of time and gas.
    original.

The south side of the Island is less crowded. I turn right at the roundabout to my kids' school (turning left would lead me to the Hong Kong Ocean Park). The buildings up ahead is our Police Academy.
    original.

My kids' school. Taking them to school every morning is one of the most enjoyable things to do.
    original.

After dropping them off, I pass Aberdeen, which was a fishing village and now a densely populated region.
    original.

Going uphill again. The hospital is less than 5 mins away.
    original.

Arriving at Queen Mary Hospital, where I have been working for more than 20 years.
    original.

Thank you for riding with me. I love every aspect of this small but exciting city. And sorry for the quality of the photos. They're taken with a P&S while I was driving.

17. WOW, Phil! What a beautiful and interesting area you live in! I'm too ashamed to post a pic of my house right now, recent storms have really taken their toll - shutters blown off, dead shrubery... etc.

18. Trey USAF

Trey USAF Guest

19. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks for the tour, Phil. Your images evoke pleasant memories of sights, sounds, and smells from my past:smile: .

20. Phil, just brilliant - love it. Amazing commute as well.

Trey, nice approach. Very nicely done.