CS #341 Determination

Determination: One of the definitions I found put it as “: firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired end “

When we think about our photographs, how often are we really determined to get the shots we want? I know I have let other things get in the way, perhaps weather or a fear of faliure. For this week the challenge is 2 parts.

1. You will tell us 24 hours a head of time the shot you will be taking.
2. You will share the shot!

Make this a shot that perhaps you have wanted to get for a while and put off, or that has proven difficult for you to get. I have always struggled with OCL, so this week my shot will be a properly exposed outdoor OCL(in manual) picture.

As always the shots must be taken with in the time frame of the CS 12am Thursday to 11:59 pm Wednesday. Remember to share your shot before you go and get it.

I hope you all enjoy this weeks theme, and I look forward to your submissions!

Determination: One of the definitions I found put it as “: firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired end “

When we think about our photographs, how often are we really determined to get the shots we want? I know I have let other things get in the way, perhaps weather or a fear of faliure. For this week the challenge is 2 parts.

Make this a shot that perhaps you have wanted to get for a while and put off, or that has proven difficult for you to get. I have always struggled with OCL, so this week my shot will be a properly exposed outdoor OCL(in manual) picture.

As always the shots must be taken with in the time frame of the CS 12am Thursday to 11:59 pm Wednesday. Remember to share your shot before you go and get it.

:505:

Great theme!

I have wanted to shoot a set of trees in a village on my way to work. I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks but haven't done anything about it - it is a small village that is not easy to park in and the weather hasn't been great.

This morning, I determined to stop and take the picture - there was a bit of sun around.

I did it but haven't posted the shots yet.

If only I had known about this theme yesterday!!!!!:mad:

I will try to contribute something later (once I have thought of something).

Excellent challenge, Micah.

I vaguely remember an article written by a landscape photographer (Ron Bigelow??) several years ago. He described how he had spent about a week studying a particular scene in order to get “everything right” for the image he had in mind. The most critical elements were viewing angle and light/time-of-day, but he also planned his post processing for image elements that nature didn’t get quite right.

This example may seem a bit extreme, but we all need to practice more preconception and determination to both broaden our perspective and improve our photography.

This morning, I determined to stop and take the picture - there was a bit of sun around.

I did it but haven't posted the shots yet.

If only I had known about this theme yesterday!!!!!:mad:

I will try to contribute something later (once I have thought of something).

Andy, I hope you will post the shots -- you have teased us with the description, and we'd enjoy seeing the results.:wink:

Nice theme Micah, a real challenge.

Have to think about it. Have been wanting to get some animal shots at one of the Zoos around the greater bay area, but mobility might be a problem for me. There is Kestrel that hangs around a couple of miles from here....but not sure that I can get close enough. Will let you know.

Micah, excellent theme and a good exercise for us in preplanning… aaaaand “Determination”! Thanks for hosting us!!

I’m always hesitant to actually commit to some things especially when considering weather and time factors. But I’ve thought it over and the one thing that comes to my mind is an old mill pond several miles from the house. I’ve been telling myself for several months I was going to take a drive in that direction one Saturday and get some shots of it. It’s been a great many years since I was there. It was very overgrown at that time, but a beautiful place. I don’t know what it will look like now. But I’m going to try to make a run in that direction this weekend.

I will also share another one that I have been after. I’ve actually did this a couple times since the weather warmed up, but I haven’t gotten a shot like I like. But I’ve become very interested in bugs in flight and have been trying to get some shots of some giant carpenter bees in the air when they are actually facing in my direction. I will make this another one of my goals this CS. If the carpenter bees don’t show maybe I can get a shot of some other bug in flight.

You guys wish me luck. I’m one of the worlds worst at not following thru with my plans. :tongue::smile:

Andy, I hope you will post the shots -- you have teased us with the description, and we'd enjoy seeing the results.:wink:

Since you insist Bob...

I realise that this doesn't really count, but here are a couple of the pictures:

1)
8745274396_c0b32aa977_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cropwell Butler by Andy McDonald, on Flickr

2)
8745273034_ff4df6267f_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since you insist Bob...

I realise that this doesn't really count, but here are a couple of the pictures:

1)
[URL]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/8745274396_c0b32aa977_c.jpg[/url]

2)
[URL]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8745273034_ff4df6267f_c.jpg[/url]

Very nice! I will count it since you were determined to go get it!

Excellent theme. I like how it requires people to actually go out and photograph!

But for me, it's one day too late. I discovered some strange stone piles and stacks at the top of a mountain along the Appalachian Trail a few years ago, and I had been intending to get back up there and photograph them ever since. But it is a six+ mile round trip hike with an 1,100-foot elevation gain, so I never got around to it - until yesterday! :frown:

Come Saturday, I may be able to get a shot of one or more rowers

smiling

:biggrin:

Excellent theme. I like how it requires people to actually go out and photograph!

But for me, it's one day too late. I discovered some strange stone piles and stacks at the top of a mountain along the Appalachian Trail a few years ago, and I had been intending to get back up there and photograph them ever since. But it is a six+ mile round trip hike with an 1,100-foot elevation gain, so I never got around to it - until yesterday! :frown:

I think we should still see the pictures...

Wow, Micah! This theme really stretches us and the CS (and that's a very good thing). :smile:

Okayyyy, unlikely we will do a zoo trip so decided on the following (sweating).

Since going to Canon I have not learned how to use my 430 EXII flash for anything but the most basic photography. So my goal is to go out in broad daylight and figure out how to use this on camera flash as a fill light. Whew...doesn't sound so bad.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom