CS #35 - "Event"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by phazer08, May 17, 2007.

1. phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Post your pictures here!

Time to get out and take a picture of an EVENT.

Background: I work at a museum and this week-end is our biggest event of the year – a preview party for the opening of our summer traveling exhibit and then the actual opening the next day. So, since I’m going to be there all weekend, and charged with taking pictures, I thought I’d take advantage of the situation!

Your Mission: You can view this as an opportunity to drop in on an auto show, horse show, street party, regatta, or other ‘event’ that you might otherwise drive right by. Crash a wedding! OK...you can also take pictures of an event you were going to anyway. Or make up one of your own, but use this to try to get outside your comfort zone and photograph something new.

Shooting Time
    Your Thursday Evening, May 17 – Your Sunday Midnight, May 20

Posting Time:
    From the start of shoot through Tuesday, May 22. That’ll give you lots of time to go through the 100’s of shots you took of those classic cars or whatever. Check the Miscellany Forum for the posting thread after the start of the shoot.

The usual caveats apply: keep your file size reasonable. Post your top 2-3 (but I won't complain if someone gets carried away).
  2. Evening of the Arts

Today's the annual 'Evening of the Arts' of my kids' school. The kids did all sorts of visual and performing arts in various places of the school, and it's great fun.

Lots of people tonight. The Band was getting ready in the forum.

Some of the paintings on display.
    View attachment 95997

Natalie and her classmates in their Henry Moore Project.
    View attachment 95998

Martial Arts.
    View attachment 95999

This boy is from Russia and just joined the school this year.
    View attachment 96000

A good friend of my daughter, and a very good drummer.
    View attachment 96001

Natalie with the flute, without a doubt the best performance of the evening. :biggrin:
    View attachment 96002

BTW, all are ISO1600 shots with the S5 Pro.
  3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Nice set, Phil. I was not aware of the Canadian International Schools, and had to investigate a little -- looks like a great setup.
  4. phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Cool school and amazing building. Oh, and great pics too! Thanks!
  5. Here are a handful from today's car show. It's always a challenge to control the highlights when shooting cars in the sun - sometimes you just have to let them go!

6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super images
    Love the ones of the children and the instruments.
    Music is such a wonderful thing for them.
    The art was very interesting also
  7. Colonial re-enactment

Attended a colonial re-enactment today with Dave Dickerson. What a load of fun! This event centers on the birthday of our country and had a 17th century ship (repro) come up the James river for the event. The crowd was much to large to even get close to the ship but here are some of what caught my eye.

8. Phil and Eric,
    Very nice sets guys!!
  9. Hey Dave -

That must have been an amazingly rich (and quite crowded - LOL!) event.

I really like the faces carved into the tree trunks, and the musket-shooters, and especially the tenons (or maybe nails?) in the last; what combo did you use to get such shallow DOF?

Am I right (based on the Cross of St. George-styled pennant) that those re-enacters were "aiming" at Americans? Horrors!!!!

Looks like it was a great day out shooting with Dave.

Hey Phil -

Thoes ISO 1600 shots with the Fuji S5 Pro are at once enjoyable and "troubling" - LOL.

I've been putting coins into the piggy bank (and negotiating with the CFO) about a replacement for my venerable D70. I was headed toward the D200, but this S5 introduces some indecision.

The lack of noise is impressive, as is your eye. The flautist is obviously off the charts, and the star of the performance!!!

Can you able to offer a subjective opinion of the + vs. – that led you to the S5 instead of another Nikon?

The fps rate of the D200 is a pull for me over the S5; does the S5 accept the Nikon IR (D70) remote?

If you have time to reply, please PM me so as not to divert the Group Shoot thread . . .

Thanks guys,

10. Thanks so much for the kind remarks Eric. I used a 50mm f1.4 nearly wide open for the wooden nails.
  11. Thanks everyone.

Eric, beautiful captures. Dave, looks like a real fun event.
  12. jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Greek Food Festival!

I think this weekend is among one of my top five weekends of the year! The Greek Orthodox Church in Little Rock holds their annual fundraiser, the Greek Food Festival, that attracts a huge crowd from all over Arkansas! More info is here: http://www.greekfoodfest.com/

All photos taken with a D200 and Sigma 30/1.4.

They have a stage set up for performances.

It's incredibly busy! The trolley stopped to let off another load just as we were leaving.

I boosted the saturation in #1 and #4, and a little in #2. Did I overdo it?
  13. JC they look great! Now I am hungry....
  14. Hey JC -

Mmmmm . . . I hope you know what great taste memories your photos are generating for me!

Gyros, souvlaki and baklava take me back to the home of my good friend's Mom - Mrs. Stupakis - in my hometown south of Pittsburgh. Was there any pastichio (sp?) around?

I'll assume that ouzo was available somewhere also nearby - LOL.

15. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Darn, shucks, etc., JC. I have to wait until September for the Greek Festival in Columbus:mad: .
  16. groaning here - dunno about any events going on around here! Great shots ya'll!
  17. phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Dave...great shots from your day. I especially like the wooden nails.
    Eric...the colors on those cars are stunning! What is the orange car with the "W" on the interior?
    JC...I like the saturation. Alas, I'm not a big fan of Greek food (maybe just haven't had enough of it to really get into it). But I think it looks like a fun event. And anything with "foodfest" in the title can't be all bad!
  18. As Dave Watts (dmwphoto) has posted, he and I shot at the Henricus Historical Park where a 1611 settlement has been partially recreated. Yesterday's event was part of the anniversary celebration of the founding of the Jamestown settlement in 1607.

The park is on the site of the Citie of Henricus, the second permanent English settlement in Virginia.

Interpreters portraying native Americans and English settlers demonstrate daily activities of the period.

All in all a fun day. While it was very crowded at the park, there were lots of interesting subjects, the weather was great, and it's always fun to get together with Dave Watts.
  19. phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Cajun...come on down to Waco today and see this guy and 2 others perform at 1:30 and 3:30 at the Mayborn Museum. They were great!
  20. A wedding is an event

I went to a friend's wedding and I did not have a flash, used high ISO, EV compensation and set the WB temperature myself for some shots and... And ba-bye Canon... Okay so it doesn't perform as well as the F5 yet at high ISO but gimme a few months :wink: Not bad considering I haven't learned how to use this camera yet. Those below are at ISO 1600, all shot using D2Hs and 85/1.4

View attachment 96013

View attachment 96014

View attachment 96015

View attachment 96016

This last one was shot at ISO 3200, high EV compensation is key so is the right exposure (What is the right exposure anyways... perhaps it is time to learn photography?)

View attachment 96017