CS #359 - Really looong shutter speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
“A snapshot steals life that it cannot return. A long exposure creates a form that never existed.” ~ Dieter Appelt

Welcome to this week’s CS!

The task is to shoot long exposures, ideally at least 30 seconds or longer.

I came up with this theme because I recently acquired a 10 stop ND filter and haven’t found a lot of opportunities yet to try it out. Here’s one of my first attempts:

3S1_0613_BW-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

30 sec, f/11

Of course you don’t necessarily need a use filter, shooting in the dark qualifies as well, as in these examples I shot last year during a night photography workshop:

709_1698-1700-X2.jpg

180 sec, f/8

709_9353-X2.jpg

241 sec, f/8

So let’s break out our tripods, remotes and filters, and have fun!

(In addition, the usual CS rules apply, but you already knew that.)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Klaus-Peter, thanks for hosting this week. And, thank you (I think:smile:) for a challenging theme.

I have not done long exposures since I first got my D70, 9 years ago, but I thought that tonight's full moon might present some opportunities. Alas, cloud cover is moving in ahead of tomorrow's rain:frown:. However, a couple of trial shots were enough to remind me of some things -- bring flashlight, make sure focus assist is on, turn on NR, bring timer, etc., etc.:redface:

This sounds like a very interesting theme, Klaus-Peter. It is quite a coincidence that we took the same shot! This was done a little over a year ago. The exposure was 120 sec.

Bay%20Bridge-L.jpg

Here is another one from the archive. Blue moon hour...

Palace%20of%20Fine%20Arts2-L.jpg

Real Name
Paul
Great theme Klaus-Peter! I've only taken long exposures of fireworks, and even they were 2-6 seconds only. This will really challenge me - way out of my comfort zone. I don't have any filters, other than the 3 stop ND built into the Fuji, but will see what I can do with the tripod.

I love the second and third shot of your sequence there. Very cool!

Tri, amazing that you have the same location shot! Must be great minds thinking alike you guys! The blue moon is well composed and executed too. Nice work!

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Thanks for hosting Klaus-Peter!

Fine starting pics by you and Tri. But I must admit I only have the standard D700 and so the max time is 30 seconds.

But I will try to come up with something:biggrin:!

A shot in the dark

I took this trial shot with the only light coming from an incandescent bulb behind a window about 30 ft from the flower bed. The focus wasn’t good; 30 seconds exposure wasn’t long enough; noise was significant; and there was a strong red bias. However, after adjusting levels and color, I almost liked the “different” feeling from this shot. In any case, I did learn (again:eek:) some things. Perhaps the worst mistake was to not carry a flashlight so I could see what I was doing:redface:.

DSC_5021sm.jpg
http://www.greenapple.com/~rcoutant/temp/DSC_5021sm.jpg

Fine starting pics by you and Tri. But I must admit I only have the standard D700 and so the max time is 30 seconds.

Stupid question from film only shooter with old manual focus cameras: do DSLRs have a "B" or "T" function in their shutter speed menus to allow you to take shots with shutter speeds as long as you wish them to be, or is there a max allowable speed (presumably because of the drain on the battery)?

You can use longer shutter speeds by switching to 'bulb' mode and stay on the shutter as long as you like. Preferably, one uses a cable shutter release to avoid shaking the camera.

As with film cameras. No problem with battery drain.

Stupid question from film only shooter with old manual focus cameras: do DSLRs have a "B" or "T" function in their shutter speed menus to allow you to take shots with shutter speeds as long as you wish them to be, or is there a max allowable speed (presumably because of the drain on the battery)?

My leicas have the "B" mode that is absolutely essential for long exposure besides a sturdy tripod, a trigger release cable, a timer/phone, and a lot of patience!

Klaus-Peter, thanks for hosting this week. And, thank you (I think:smile:) for a challenging theme.

I have not done long exposures since I first got my D70, 9 years ago, but I thought that tonight's full moon might present some opportunities. Alas, cloud cover is moving in ahead of tomorrow's rain:frown:. However, a couple of trial shots were enough to remind me of some things -- bring flashlight, make sure focus assist is on, turn on NR, bring timer, etc., etc.:redface:

Thanks, Bob! You first attempt looks promising, looking forward to seeing more, maybe a little light painting?

Great theme Klaus-Peter! I've only taken long exposures of fireworks, and even they were 2-6 seconds only. This will really challenge me - way out of my comfort zone. I don't have any filters, other than the 3 stop ND built into the Fuji, but will see what I can do with the tripod.

I love the second and third shot of your sequence there. Very cool!

Tri, amazing that you have the same location shot! Must be great minds thinking alike you guys! The blue moon is well composed and executed too. Nice work!

Thanks much, Paul! I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

Klaus, this one looks like a very interesting theme! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for contributions. Those images you started us off with are really exceptionally nice! :smile:

Thank you, Rob. That's why I eliminated the requirement of "more than 30 sec" from the original theme, I realised that some folks might not have remotes that let them shoot longer exposures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom