CS #36 - "Wild thang"

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by cajun angel, May 25, 2007.

1. For all your WILD THANG photos, post in this thread :biggrin:

Whooohoooo, this is gonna be fun ya'll! Today (Friday) is the start of Wild Thangs! This means ANYTHING WILD = cars, motorcycles, hairdo's, critters, flowers, people, paintjobs, ANYTHING YOU THINK IS WILD!

Rules? what are those?

Just keep it clean - afterall this is a family forum!

Ya'll can post up to 3 photos, just remember those folks that have dial-up or which ever thingie is slower!

Deadline for posting will be Tuesday May 29!

Now ya'll get out there and be careful, go wild shooting something wild!

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  2. Went to birding this afternoon as usual but when I arrived at my favorite spot, I noted that I had left the tripod at home. :mad:

Had to handheld the 500mm so cranked up ISO to keep the shutter speed up. Tried different wild settings and result was of course not satisfactory.

And this over-exposed wild bird didn't like me shooting him so he went wild and gave me a big wild shot. Well, it's something he did in the wild everyday.

original.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Serves ya right! If the plumber and carpenter arrived at the job site without their tools, you'd go wild too.

4. WOW, Phil! What did you do to make that birdie go wild? LOL! Forget your tripod? Shame on you! That's the first thing I put in the van! Nice shot!

And Paul, that's a wild car you got there! What are all those thingies going across the front? Love the color! Oh I get it! They're teeth! Right? Totally wild man!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dianne .
    I don't think I have been out shooting in a month.
    Just a couple around home

Shot a sneaky squirrel a couple days ago. He and his two partners in crime found my birdie feeder:>))) lolol

He thinks I can't see him...rofl
    Shot from the third floor balcony. lolol

6. hey Gale! He's a cutie and I know he's wild when he wants to be! LOL! We're getting so much rain, I dunno if I"ll even be able to get a shot of anything! Doing some serious housework around here too. Nice shot BTW!

7. "wild"? maybe not - LOL

But an "International" Cat Show in our little town was the closest thing I could find on this drizzly day. There were several out-of-state license plates in the parking lot, and many exotic breeds, so maybe that fit the description.

It was in a fluorescently-lit hall, and I had to crank up the D70 to ISO 800, and I still needed to use the Sigma 30 mm wide-open at f/1.4. I didn't want to use flash - too intrusive, I thought. These are pretty noisy, and I didn't try to smooth that out.

I found that the owners were very willing to talk about their animals and be photographed with them. This was interesting and instructive to me, since I tend not to take shots of people. Of course, none of the owners are in focus here - LOL.

I hope it's OK to post 5 - Dianne, you can assign me as many demerits as is warranted . . .

Eric

79437047.original.

View attachment 97399

View attachment 97400

View attachment 97401

View attachment 97402

8. Gee Eric! All those EXOTIC beauties and not a bengal in the bunch!? WOW! Gorgeous kitties for sure and okay, I guess I'll let ya slide with 5. Kitties have been known to be wild too!:rolleyes:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yep some wild lookin kittys:>))))))

10. Dianne -

Well, if I look closely, I can see either Band-Aids or recent scratch marks on all the owners (LOL), so maybe these critters *are* wild.

Gale - Ya know, we have squirrels up around here with the same coloring, but ours tend to have four legs - LOL.

Paul - Your photo of that blue car is awesome. The front grille with the reflections somehow reminds me of a fleur-de-lis. I'm thinking late 1940s to mid 1950s, but I can't quite ID it - is it a Mercury maybe?

Phil - Hand-holding a 500mm lens under perfect conditions is way, way beyond me - very well done! Given your subject's "vapor trail", this is an argument in favor of long lenses - maybe I'll try that on the CFO next time. I doubt that it would work . . .

Eric

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Eric
    Thats stealth mode.

12. wild bees

This is a wild bee. But more importantly, I had a WILD time taking these photos, as they are some of my first ever macro shots. I got a macro lens last weekend (105mm VR), and I now understand a comment someone made on these forums about how getting a macro lens will cause your shutter count to rise exponentially :biggrin: Maybe I will wear out my D70s in a few more weeks :tongue:

Both shots D70s, 105mm VR, handheld.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Hey Victor -

Wow - these are fantastic!

Could this be one of the recent U.S. bee emigrés? Would it need it visa these days? LOL

Eric

14. WOW, Victor these are awsome shots! I know chasing bees around can leave one dizzy! These are difinitely wild! LOL!

15. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Sometimes it is so easy to find a model willing to pose for you ...

p743756578-4.

He was such a good, cooperative subject - I don't know if this really qualifies as a "Wild Thang". :smile:

I've been suffering back problems for the last 2 weeks and have not been functional enough to get out, so I hope you don't mind that this one was shot last year. Taken with a D200 and 18-200mm VR.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats a wild blue Squirrel:>)))
    Love the way they tuck those little feet in

17. Hey Mark! What a cute little squirrel! he looks wild enough with his little paws tucked in, reminds me of a prize fighter! No problem about the time you shot it, thanks for participating and hope your back gets better!

18. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Gale and Dianne,

That is the only time I have ever seen a squirrel tuck in their feet/paws like that.

The really funny thing about this squirrel is that I must have spent about 5 minutes trying to get a photo of it on the ground, but it was running around and wouldn't stay still. All of a sudden, he hopped up on the log, stood up on his back legs, and stayed like that, looking right at me for 2-3 minutes. It seemed like it was willing to stay there until it knew I got a good shot!

Dianne - thanks for your thoughts about my back. I think I've finally turned the corner and will hopefully be back to "normal" in a few days. All it took was a couple weeks of rest and patience, two trips to the chiropractor, and several acupuncture sessions. :Ouch:

19. Here is a "wild" Canada goose gosling! :biggrin: I think his parents were not "wild" about him coming this close to me (shot with 300 + 1.4TC). He was strongly backlit in evening sun, but I tried to "save" him anyway. :tongue: