CS #36 - "Wild thang"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, out of frustration and dodging rain, I went out onto my patio with my better beamer attached to my sb800, used my 300mm afs f4 w/1.4 TC attached and got these. They are wild thangs but I had hoped to do something different! Oh well, here's my other 2! *Notice the rain drops on the dove! :cool:

516965053_58b3174569_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 97418

Here's my entry for the collective shoot and these guys are wild!

79543710.gif

View attachment 97420

OOOHHHH FRank! That's one beauty of an osprey! Love it!!!!! yep, he's a wild one alright! Now you know you can post 2 more pics! I'm really enjoying this shoot and I hope everyone else is!:biggrin:

O.K. I'll play. How about some wildflowers:

157180268-L.jpg

157180385-L.jpg

...and a wildflower photographer:

157180351-L.jpg

Chalk it up to advancing middle age, but all I came up with are wild flowers
original.jpg

and a wild bird
original.jpg

WOW! Jim and Dave ya'll really got some beauties there! Love the shot of the photographer! And oh, I'm gonna have to learn my wildflowers now! No clue to the names of the ones ya'll posted! Beauties for sure though! And Dave, that blue jay is gorgeous! Did you use a BB on him? Love the lighting!

I'm really happy to see a bit of everything wild - flowers, birdies, critters, cars, wild hair, and the list goes on! I sincerely hope everyone has enjoyed this collective shoot as much as I have! I would have gotten more shots had it not been raining so much here! Just remember, the posting can still go on until Wednesday!

WOW! Jim and Dave ya'll really got some beauties there! Love the shot of the photographer! And oh, I'm gonna have to learn my wildflowers now! No clue to the names of the ones ya'll posted! Beauties for sure though! And Dave, that blue jay is gorgeous! Did you use a BB on him? Love the lighting!

I'm really happy to see a bit of everything wild - flowers, birdies, critters, cars, wild hair, and the list goes on! I sincerely hope everyone has enjoyed this collective shoot as much as I have! I would have gotten more shots had it not been raining so much here! Just remember, the posting can still go on until Wednesday!

Thanks, Dianne.

My flowers are flame azalea and wild geranium, respectively, and Dave's is mountain laurel. I'm not gonna tell you what that blue-colored bird is.:biggrin:

Send us some of your rain, please.

We always have bugs when camping.

Here are a couple of the critters I was able to capture while camping over Memorial Day weekend. All were captured with the 300 f4 and 1.5 Kenko TC.

519895106_f974555de4.png

View attachment 97427

View attachment 97428

I was shooting my neighbor's cactus flowers, when this wasp (?) flew over and nicely posed for me!

original.gif

Makin' tufties

I'm afraid we're at a disadvantage on this side of Atlantic. We don't have any thangs here. We have things (and thongs) but no thangs at all.
I feel that so far some of the subjects here have been quite wild and others only moderately wild. But I wanted to contribute two really wild things that I shot on Saturday.
To my mind, there is a simple test for wildness (which I hope does not offend - people with sensitive natures may wish to stop reading now :smile:).
Something can't be really wild unless it suggests or includes sex or violence or even both of them.
Until Saturday I thought of tufted ducks as quiet, inoffensive little birds, keeping out of the way of swans and mallards when bread is thrown around and then diving for the crumbs.
But they aren't like that in the mating season. I was in Lilian's hide at Leighton Moss reserve with my D200 and 300mm f/4 while there was melodrama on the pool in front of me.
The alpha male tuftie and his partner were on their honeymoon, but the beta male wanted to get in on things. Poor Mr Alpha was preparing to make love to the lady when he suddenly noticed Beta sneaking up behind them, so he had to abandon her to chase Beta off.
But of course he couldn't chase after him very far, because he didn't want to leave his girlfriend on her own, so he raced back to her to continue where he had left off. But of course Beta immediately returned under full steam, so the whole cycle repeated itself again and again. I'm ashamed to admit that I and the other humans in the hide were laughing heartily.
My shots show that the poor male got rather bad-tempered and he was quite rough with the lady; but she had her say and she didn't seem to mind. There was happy ending when they finally got down to business and then swam away into the susnset together.

LeightonMoss003_419a.jpg

LeightonMoss003_400.jpg

LeightonMoss003_407a.jpg

Now that's what I call wild!

Alan

.. And Dave, that blue jay is gorgeous! Did you use a BB on him? Love the lighting!

Thanks, Dianne. I wasn't using a Better Beamer. I was quite close and getting plenty flash power for fill wasn't a problem. I started off in TTL, but the pre-flashes were startling the birds, so I switched to manual flash at about 1/8 power. The camera was already in M, so I was gaging exposure solely by the histogram. Since the ambient light and distance to the subject weren't changing much, my exposures didn't vary significantly shot to shot.

A big thank you to Dianne (cajun angel) for hosting the wildest Collective Shoot ever, and to everyone who has contributed to this fun collection of images. Depending on your location, you still have a few hours to post.

catalyst will host the next Collective Shoot, and we're all looking forward to it.

And a big Thanks to Dave for allowing me to have my fun with ya'll too! I've seen some real winners on this shoot and I'm anxious to find out what the next one will be! ya'll have until tomorrow night to get your "wild thangs" posted! :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom