CS #374 - Back to basics - part II - composition

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was taken downtown close to Christmas 2012 in front of a large department store here in Toronto.
It was bitterly cold and I was standing on the opposite side of the street when I noticed an elderly man standing in front of a display window asking passersby for money. As is often the case, most people simply walked by without giving him even a glance.
There was a dark, brooding atmosphere to the scene offset by the brightly coloured display behind him that I liked, so using my longest lens, I framed this shot.
The light was poor and despite using the lens wide open, my shutter speed was going to be slow. However I reasoned that since the man wasn't moving and the passersby were, he would be in sharp focus, while they would be slightly blurred emphasizing that they were ignoring him.
Additionally, there was a good juxtaposition of light and dark, and contrasts between rich and poor and the character and attitude of the main subject and the passereby that helped tell the story.
I dispensed with the Thirds rule in order to both keep the person at our extreme left in the shot and give the couple just past my subject some space to "walk" into.
Almost immediately after I took this, the man turned and walked away.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Tokina ATX 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
exposure 2.8 @ something or other

Brother_can_you_spare_a_dime-800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Great example of different lives... Love the light and the stare of the model!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This was taken downtown close to Christmas 2012 in front of a large department store here in Toronto.
It was bitterly cold and I was standing on the opposite side of the street when I noticed an elderly man standing in front of a display window asking passersby for money. As is often the case, most people simply walked by without giving him even a glance.
There was a dark, brooding atmosphere to the scene offset by the brightly coloured display behind him that I liked, so using my longest lens, I framed this shot.
The light was poor and despite using the lens wide open, my shutter speed was going to be slow. However I reasoned that since the man wasn't moving and the passersby were, he would be in sharp focus, while they would be slightly blurred emphasizing that they were ignoring him.
Additionally, there was a good juxtaposition of light and dark, and contrasts between rich and poor and the character and attitude of the main subject and the passereby that helped tell the story.
I dispensed with the Thirds rule in order to both keep the person at our extreme left in the shot and give the couple just past my subject some space to "walk" into.
Almost immediately after I took this, the man turned and walked away.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Tokina ATX 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus
exposure 2.8 @ something or other

Brother_can_you_spare_a_dime-800.jpg
Very well done, Robert. As Art stated, your composition helps the image tell its story...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee,
In a photo like this one there the Rule of thirds really can't be used, and besides it isn't a rule but only a compositional suggestion.
I like this as you've captured an interesting storefront with a lot of textural elements for the eye to roam around and discover. My only criticism is the very tight vertical cropping at the left and especially at our right side (where you cropped off the flower pot).
If you have a bit of brick margin at either side in the original, (as you do at the top), I'd suggest a re-crop to include a bit more.
Robert

The strong horizontal and vertical lines of the door and window, break this nicely though, and make for a pleasing shot.

Nice shot Lyndee. I like the composition - lots of intersecting lines and great textures.
Thank you, all...!

Robert, I agree about the crop. I'll have to go back to see why I cropped it as tight as I did. I'm thinking there might have been a car parked to the right...

First post here, so apologies if I goof up the picture. Anyway, this was from a recent trip to Vieques, cropped down to rule-of-thirds to minimize a blah sky.

p371135643-4.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
First post here, so apologies if I goof up the picture. Anyway, this was from a recent trip to Vieques, cropped down to rule-of-thirds to minimize a blah sky.

p371135643-4.jpg
First off, WELCOME to the Cafe, Bruce! We're glad to have you and what a pleasure it is to have you join us in the Collective Shoot! Second, your photo is beautiful! Leading lines, composition, color...this image has it all. Well done, and again, welcome!

Taken about six or seven years ago, while I was walking in the Chinatown shopping district here in downtown Toronto.
I noticed a woman carrying her daughter in a sling on her back as she shopped. I watched them for a few minutes, and finally the woman turned and began to walk in my direction. I panned as they passed and shot about three frames. The woman apparently didn't even notice me, but the little girl heard the sound of the motordrive and peeked at me as they walked by.
I was using a 35mm lens and ended up with a very busy background which detracted substantially from the main subjects. To eliminate it, I severely croppped down to the main subjects which left me with a strong diagonal running from the top of the mother's head down to the childs face and eye, which I postioned very roughly at the lower right Thirds position and made the child's eye the focus of the shot.
One of my favorite photos.
motorized nikon F2AS
Nikkor 35mm f2 AIS manual focus
exposure probably 5.6 @ 1/125th

Mother_and_child-Chinatown-800.jpg

Real Name
Paul

p371135643-4.jpg
Welcome to the CS Bruce! Very nice shot. Diagonal line really draw ones focus.

Taken about six or seven years ago, while I was walking in the Chinatown shopping district here in downtown Toronto.
I noticed a woman carrying her daughter in a sling on her back as she shopped. I watched them for a few minutes, and finally the woman turned and began to walk in my direction. I panned as they passed and shot about three frames. The woman apparently didn't even notice me, but the little girl heard the sound of the motordrive and peeked at me as they walked by.
I was using a 35mm lens and ended up with a very busy background which detracted substantially from the main subjects. To eliminate it, I severely croppped down to the main subjects which left me with a strong diagonal running from the top of the mother's head down to the childs face and eye, which I postioned very roughly at the lower right Thirds position and made the child's eye the focus of the shot.
motorized nikon F2AS

Super shot. Nice Ro3 and good subject isolation.

During my afternoon walk, I encountered this lonely beech enduring the winter rain. [This was an attempt at a “quarters” composition.]

DSC_5066sm.jpg

Real Name
Paul
During my afternoon walk, I encountered this lonely beech enduring the winter rain. [This was an attempt at a “quarters” composition.]

DSC_5066sm.jpg
So your snow is gone huh? We got a ton of rain, but still have snow covering most places.

Rob, JustPlainCrayzee, NEF Said – Thank you for the welcome and kind comments.

rbsinto – You captured a very nice moment, and the diagonal composition supports the action in the photo perfectly. Very cool.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
motorized nikon F2AS

Awww...what a cutie! I can see why this is one of your favorite images. I definitely see the ROT's, and the whole image is very pleasing. I like it!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

DSC_5066sm.jpg
Your composition works perfectly, Bob. I also like the pop of color (the leaves) in the middle of the woods. Another well done image from you!

As I stood at this spot, I thought the trees framed the view and the rocks acted as a leading line toward the center of the photo.
DJH_3515-XL.jpg

Real Name
Paul
As I stood at this spot, I thought the trees framed the view and the rocks acted as a leading line toward the center of the photo.
DJH_3515-XL.jpg
Nice composition Dave!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
DJH_3515-XL.jpg
Ohhh my; that is absolutely beautiful, Dave, and I am sooo glad you came to post this! Everything is in clear focus, from FG to BG, and the composition, IMO, is perfect. Thank you!

p371135643-4.jpg

Pretty scene Bruce. Nice composition and exposure.

motorized nikon F2AS

Wonderful composition. The diagonal lines really draw my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom